Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

I'd be more worried about Wright than Carey currently, he's offered very little since being moved up to midfield. 

I'm fed up of seeing May up front on his own. It doesn't work, it's never worked, and Macca has seen the evidence enough times. There's obviously an issue with the players available, but that was still enough of a mess to be concerning.

Aye on what we’ve seen in the three games to now, Wright is more deserving of criticism than Carey. That said, moving him to right back and having Carey and Crawford on the wings today was a big mistake. Wright’s the only player in the squad capable of carrying the ball more than 10 yards. 

Rightly or wrongly Wright will get more slack than Carey due to dragging us through the shit last season, and the fact he works like a dog (most of the time).

Ultimately though, the chances of him matching his goal tally from the last season is close to zero, and I think we'll end up seeing him leave next Summer for a variety of reasons.

I can’t get behind seeing Carey or Wright as the problem I’m afraid. They are close to being our only senior outfield players with a bit of creative quality. Carey was shite last year but was played out of position about 75% of the time.

We need more players like them to take some of the slack. Plus, I’m afraid to say, a couple of players in the ‘do a job’ category. Slot David McCracken, Graham Cummins and Paul Paton into today’s team and we probably get a point at least IMO. It’s great blooding some youngsters and offering first team pathways but right now our squad looks like one of the stronger teams on an U20s league (RIP) matchday. Needs to be a balance and I think and hope, given he was here for the entirety of TW’s reign, Maclean will be aware of this and seeking to rectify it. 

Also really needs said that the centre back pairing of Gordon and Considine is dreadful. Neither of them can pass the ball and both are better in a back 3 where someone else can hide their deficiencies. Gordon + a CB of proven quality still isn’t ideal if you want to kick on but is an absolute must if we are planning to at least try and stay up..

59 minutes ago, monkfish said:

I'd be more worried about Wright than Carey currently, he's offered very little since being moved up to midfield. 

I'm fed up of seeing May up front on his own. It doesn't work, it's never worked, and Macca has seen the evidence enough times. There's obviously an issue with the players available, but that was still enough of a mess to be concerning.

Agree with this.  Wright was shocking today.  If we’re going to introduce young players to the first team, the established players have to be able to step up and support them, there was no evidence of that today.

I thought Carey was one of our better players today, he provided some threat and put a lot of decent crosses in, but we don’t have a player that can win a header so ultimately a bit pointless.

Been said so often, but May is far too powderpuff to play up front on his own. 

We can maybe play one of the  youngsters in midfield, but no way are they good enough for all three to start. Outperformed by league two journeymen.

A lot of injuries, and early days, but that was a bottom of the league performance if you ever saw one. 

Inept and fairly heartless. 

3 hours ago, tree house tam said:

Wait till I PM you about Muirton Park in the 80s, you're going to love that shite.

I could understand it though if we’d lost to a fellow Premiership side in a competitive game, but Stenny are League 2 ffs. Jeanie would give them a good game, legitimately. We’re meant to be a full time professional team, it’s horrendous losing to them.

1 hour ago, Zamora Fan said:

Also really needs said that the centre back pairing of Gordon and Considine is dreadful. Neither of them can pass the ball and both are better in a back 3 where someone else can hide their deficiencies. Gordon + a CB of proven quality still isn’t ideal if you want to kick on but is an absolute must if we are planning to at least try and stay up..

This, this, this and a million times this. They’re slow, cumbersome, can not pass, try to run forward with the ball then when they inevitably lose it can’t get back quick enough (which is where the goal came from today).

Today was my first game in a couple of years cos I’m a glory hunter who only gets to European games (today was next to my house) and I’m already questioning why I would want to go to Alloa. 
That today should be a massive wake up call. Ryan McGowan was unbelievably bad. It was absolutely frightening. The defence needs supplemented three times over. I’m scared

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

A lot of injuries

See, thats another issue with a lot of the players we're missing who would apparently improve things. MacPherson is constantly out for spells, Kane is likely to get constant niggles after such a long injury. Phillips seems to pick up knocks too. Is Considine going to last a full season as first choice without injuries? Are Gallacher/Booth going to cope without niggles after their injuries?

We're likely to be missing 3/4 players every week i reckon, or at least have that many not fully fit.

This season is going to be brutal, so just have to hope the approach of trying to build long term pays off.

I look at the list of players out and don’t get that excited about anyone’s return in a ‘make an impact’ kind of way as you would with the likes of Rooney or Hendry.

Even with a makeshift team I didn’t see much of an identity or method we were trying to play. Talk of the high pressing all energy system beforehand.

Sound like a dinosaur here, but with the squad we’ve got I wish we’d just go for a straightforward 4-4-2 when we get Phillips/ Clark/ Kane back fit.  This would get the best out of Wright and Carey in wide midfield, and someone partnering May up front.

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

The irony in the person's tweet about how Macca has some kind of undiagnosed "vulnerability". 

Has he looked at himself?

There's bad takes then there's this guy. If Davidson was the manager 20% of those Saints wouldn't have gone along at all today. Davidson's record was embarrassing in all competitions, especially against smaller sides in the cup. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

6 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Even with a makeshift team I didn’t see much of an identity or method we were trying to play. Talk of the high pressing all energy system beforehand.

Yeah, you can accept losses early on if the performances are there and you see whats being built.

That was very much a 21/22 performance and whoever talked about Kelty nailed it. A half paced performance where the senior players show how toothless they are and the manager isnt able to improve anything, so once we fell behind that was us done.

MacLean can talk about how "his side" wont do this and will do that, but he needs to have it backed up by action. Im not sure this squad have it in them to do that so he'll need to nail his selections and tactical changes almost every week.

8 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

I look at the list of players out and don’t get that excited about anyone’s return in a ‘make an impact’ kind of way as you would with the likes of Rooney or Hendry.

Sound like a dinosaur here, but with the squad we’ve got I wish we’d just go for a straightforward 4-4-2 when we get Phillips/ Clark/ Kane back fit.  This would get the best out of Wright and Carey in wide midfield, and someone partnering May up front.

Said this in the car back yesteday, but I have a feeling that despite the paper talk about 4-3-3 (did he actually say this or are folk just assuming?) if/when Kane and Nicky are back in the squad we'll be looking to play a 4-2-2 and we will be better for it. If the rumour that we're bringing in a wide player is correct then I would think that would support that line of thought.

As others have said biggest problem yesterday, to me, were the CBs. The lack of pace, mobility and distribution aren't so much of issue with a back 3 where there are more outball options and you'd have a 3rd CB to do that ball-carrying work. This was made worse by McGowan having his worst performance in a Saints shirt (he was absolutely rotten) and Gallacgher being a downgrade on Montgomery (with, to be fair, not much to base that on so far).

I simply cannot believe that McLean is playing May as a lone striker by choice.

If we are to take positives from yesterday wee Max and Fegusson at least brought some energy although to me Ballantyne seemed a bit scrappy.

Knicker status: damp