Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

3 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

The names being talked about as signings give me hope tbh, couple that with the likes of Phillips, Clark and Kane to come in and it will be remarkably better than yesterday. That defence with our club captain playing the way he has is fucking stinking though.

Give me names Tam. 

I thought McGowan would be fine as an option at right back should we need him but Tuesday night and yesterday have shown that’s not the case - unless we’re playing against a team we need to sit in against. With Considine, I think his last injury might just have been one injury too far (for the top flight). Although he didn’t actually do anything ‘wrong’ yesterday, Tony Gallacher is a shitebag. Pretty obvious he doesn’t want the ball, and showed even less when we went 1-0 down. I still think there’s something there to work with but a combination of injury and being tossed in the bin by Davidson look to have ruined his confidence.  

14 hours ago, glenrothes 1884 saint said:

One incoming is a wide player, with pace and energy, the other is more  complicated , I’m not aware of whom 

No reason to suggest this, but the two Edwardses that played for County last season are both available.  Whether or not you’d want them is another matter.  

2 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

No reason to suggest this, but the two Edwardses that played for County last season are both available.  Whether or not you’d want them is another matter.  

Gwion previously played for Saints. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

37 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

I still think there’s something there to work with but a combination of injury and being tossed in the bin by Davidson look to have ruined his confidence.  

I worry hes just not played enough senior football now to make it in the top flight.

Turns 24 next week and i think thats him just over 50 senior games now.

A daft way to judge a players potential, probably. 

Around the time we won our first Scottish Cup, I’m sure there was a stat going about that Saints hadn’t lost a cup match against lower league opposition in twenty odd games which spanned  a good few years.

But since the 2014-15 season, here’s the list of lower league teams we’ve failed to beat in cup competitions:-

2014-15 Rangers (a) 0-1 LC

2014-15 QOS (a) 0-2 SC

2015-16 Hibs (n) 1-2 LC

2016-16 Brechin City (a) 1-1 LC

2019-20 Montrose (a) 0-1 LC 

2019-20 Forfar Athletic (a) 1-2 LC

2021-22 Kelly Hearts (a) 0-1 SC

2022-23 Annan Ath (h) 0-0 LC

2022-23 QOS (a) 2-2 LC

2023-24 Stenhousemuir (a) 0-1 LC

26 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I worry hes just not played enough senior football now to make it in the top flight.

Turns 24 next week and i think thats him just over 50 senior games now.

A daft way to judge a players potential, probably. 

Think that’s quite fair tbh. More a case of giving him a bit of belief more than anything else, which is understandable giving his last 15 months.

Those minutes are interesting, this quote caught my eye amongst other things - ''I watch the match back on Sunday and do a match review lasting 8 to 10 minutes - any longer they lose interest. The players get sent the game and can watch it if they want.''

I would have thought it was standard for professional footballers to have a greater than 10 minute attention span and that the review would not be optional.

MacLean said a few things about age and not blocking young players hence the Wotherspoon decision which he obviously regrets about how it was communicated (though explained it was bad timings etc). I do wonder if one of these imminent signings will see that idealism obliterated.

Edited by Fife Saint

11 minutes ago, Fife Saint said:

Those minutes are interesting, this quote caught my eye amongst other things - ''I watch the match back on Sunday and do a match review lasting 8 to 10 minutes - any longer they lose interest. The players get sent the game and can watch it if they want.''

I would have thought it was standard for professional footballers to have a greater than 10 minute attention span and that the review would not be optional.

MacLean said a few things about age and not blocking young players hence the Wotherspoon decision which he obviously regrets about how it was communicated (though explained it was bad timings etc). I do wonder if one of these imminent signings will see that idealism obliterated.

He also said that there's studies that suggest that anymore than the time they currently spend on video analysis it stops adding anymore value. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe