Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

11 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Risky starting either Brown or Dare as a RB (are either fully fit) and we know Wright doesn't work there and McGowan isn't great either, and it takes away the midfield option. With that in mind I think we might see a back 3 to let Wright and Gallacher be WBs and bring McGowan into the middle to hold and Dan to do box-to-box.

Ahead of that no idea but I' think that Carey, May and Jephcott would be the option.

If we get the WB's high enough up the park (we know Drey can do this but less sure about Gallacher) that doesn't need to be as negative as it looks on paper.

I think the back 5 is a decent option for our situation but I don't see him using it to start the season with.

2 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Available today too. No chance he’ll be fit enough though

Why he’s been playing in MK Dons pre-season games and has done a full pre-season so far, so he should be fit. 

Smith is giving my Scott Allan vibes and I’m totally here for that! 

4 minutes ago, Widge said:

Why he’s been playing in MK Dons pre-season games and has done a full pre-season so far, so he should be fit. 

Smith is giving my Scott Allan vibes and I’m totally here for that! 

3 minutes ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

He’s been involved in nearly every one of MK Done preseason games 

There’s my lack of knowledge shining through

Smith announced and immediately available for selection :wub:

That's 5 signings now done, all permanent, all young and who look like they'll improve the squad at least, if not the first team. Big props to the club for getting these done. I'd like to see us sign a wide player and maybe another attacking player (winger who can play up top or vice versa, in the mould of Matty Kennedy) and I think we can be really pleased with Macca's rebuild. 

if we could get shot of Crawford and find a good loan home for some of the young boys then it's mission accomplished for me. It might not save us this year but certainly gives a lot more to be optimistic about going forward. 

I think today is going to be a struggle, I hope the fans stay with the team. We have an inexperienced manager and a young team now, I don't think getting on their backs is going to help anyone. 

Edited by Kyle

lineup.thumb.png.d238d6e7fa623a8157af6b0dbfdeb439.png

Squad is just in so much better shape, profile wise, than last season. Gone from an inbalanced squad full of ageing has-beens and duds to a group splattered with players who've shown potential and hit hard hard times. Genuinely excited for who the new winger he gets is.

It could go wrong and they flop but this could be great if they get going.

Goalkeepers 

Dimitar Mitov - 2025

Ross Sinclair - 2024 

Jack Wills - 2024 

Defenders/wing backs

James Brown - 2024

Olusadare Olufunwa - 2025

Sam McClelland - 2025

Ryan McGowan - 2024

Liam Gordon - 2024

Andy Considine- 2024

Liam Parker - 2024

Callum Booth - 2024

Tony Gallacher - 2024

Midfielders/wingers

Drey Wright - 2024

Max Kucheriavyi - 2025

Daniel Phillips - 2024

Cammy McPherson - 2024

Matt Smith - 2025

Ali Crawford -2024 

Cammy Ballantyne - 2024 

Alex Ferguson - 2025 

Graham Carey - 2024

Attackers

Stevie May - 2025

Nicky Clark - 2025

Luke Jephcott - 2025

Chris Kane - January 2024  

Taylor Steven - 2024

26 mentioned here and I've not included the likes of McCrystal (who probably has as much of a right to be mentioned here as Taylor, Wills and Parker do).  

I'd suggest we could probably do with getting Parker, Steven, Ferguson and maybe Kucheriavyi out on loan and shot of Crawford completely which brings us back down to 21/22. 

I do feel we need more options wide than Carey and Wright. I know Kucheriavyi has filled in there but I think he's better centrally.  I feel we need 2 more and that's subject to us not losing anyone else, either to injury or unexpectedly leaving. 

5 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Goalkeepers 

Dimitar Mitov - 2025

Ross Sinclair - 2024 

Jack Wills - 2024 

Defenders/wing backs

James Brown - 2024

Sam McClelland - 2025

Ryan McGowan - 2024

Liam Gordon - 2024

Andy Considine- 2024

Liam Parker - 2024

Callum Booth - 2024

Tony Gallacher - 2024

Midfielders/wingers

Drey Wright - 2024

Max Kucheriavyi - 2025

Daniel Phillips - 2024

Cammy McPherson - 2024

Matt Smith - 2025

Ali Crawford -2024 

Cammy Ballantyne - 2024 

Alex Ferguson - 2025 

Graham Carey - 2024

Attackers

Stevie May - 2025

Nicky Clark - 2025

Luke Jephcott - 2025

Taylor Steven - 2024

26 mentioned here and I've not included the likes of McCrystal (who probably has as much of a right to be mentioned here as Taylor, Wills and Parker do).  

I'd suggest we could probably do with getting Parker, Steven, Ferguson and maybe Kucheriavyi out on loan and shot of Crawford completely which brings us back down to 21/22. 

I do feel we need more options wide than Carey and Wright. I know Kucheriavyi has filled in there but I think he's better centrally.  I feel we need 2 more and that's subject to us not losing anyone else, either to injury or unexpectedly leaving. 

If you can get a younger CDM and allow Phillips to push up with Smith and get cover/competition for Wright and Carey that's a very good window and not a disaster if a squad for McLean to work with imo, with the obvious caveats of bedding in lots of players and guys potentially turning out not as well as they look 

Mitov

Dare McClelland Considine Gallacher

McGowan Smith Phillips

Wright Jephcott Carey

Should solidify the midfield somewhat but it would depend a lot on Wright/Carey and probably one of the central midfielders getting close to Jephcott a lot.

38 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Goalkeepers 

Dimitar Mitov - 2025

Ross Sinclair - 2024 

Jack Wills - 2024 

Defenders/wing backs

James Brown - 2024

Sam McClelland - 2025

Ryan McGowan - 2024

Liam Gordon - 2024

Andy Considine- 2024

Liam Parker - 2024

Callum Booth - 2024

Tony Gallacher - 2024

Midfielders/wingers

Drey Wright - 2024

Max Kucheriavyi - 2025

Daniel Phillips - 2024

Cammy McPherson - 2024

Matt Smith - 2025

Ali Crawford -2024 

Cammy Ballantyne - 2024 

Alex Ferguson - 2025 

Graham Carey - 2024

Attackers

Stevie May - 2025

Nicky Clark - 2025

Luke Jephcott - 2025

Taylor Steven - 2024

A real lack of a ‘core’ to that squad that were the bricks and mortar of squads gone by (Ando, Mackay, Zander, Millar, Craig, Muzz, Macca, etc), very much a new look St Johnstone and one that we have a duty to get behind and support.