Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

McGowan did well overall for Saints but any notion he goes into that midfield and makes it any better never mind much better is fairly questionable.

The defense on the other hand? 🤷‍♂️ probably. Would he defend better than Brown? Probably. He's not going to be much worse than Brown going forward either. I could cope with him offering less going forward if it stopped us shipping goals from runners not being tracked at the back post. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

I think others have touched on it, the fact that a 3-5-2 genuinely looks like the best option with the personnel available is quite funny. 

Let Wright and Gallacher play at wing back, your midfield 3 picks itself and you’d actually have 2 strikers on the pitch for it. I worry MacLean will see going to that shape a failure to change things, but the reality is, it was never the shape that was the issue under Davidson, rather the manner he wanted it to be played. A midfield of Sven, Phillips and Smith on paper is a good one. Sven appears very good at winning the ball back and covering, Phillips was actually pretty decent against Hibs and box to box he can cause issues, what I think we lacked yesterday was a creative player. I’d hope that’s Smith, let’s face it we all know MacPherson isn’t it and why he played yesterday I don’t know, but Smith appears on the limited viewings far better and keeping the ball and playing decisive passes. 

Gallacher has been useless in attack virtually every time hes played, hes very much someone who seems to be better the less he plays. Id say theres almost no difference between him and Robinson in terms of what they give us. Is Booth still at the club too?

Assumed the idea of getting energetic, mobile, CMs in was so we could 4-4-2, but yet to see any hint that we'll start a game in any way other than 4-3-3 really.

You can effectively write our script now.

4-3-3, first subs around 65-70 mins in, concede from set play situation, dont score.

I spent the afternoon sitting in the Hearts support with a mate of mine, who happens to be an agent, at the guest of parents of one of the Hearts players. 
All three know Nick Montgomery and have high praise for him especially as a man manager.

Saints and Hearts have gone down the route of advancing retired players/coaches into management, with Saints doing it now twice in a row. The football on offer has been dire.  
Of course finance plays its part, as well as maybe knowing the character and abilities of those that are being promoted but especially with Saints I’ve thought it was laziness and lack of due diligence. Our scouting and signing policy speaks to that as well.

Hibs have have gone for a manager who in two seasons has managed a side to two grand finals, losing the first and winning the second 6-1 . Got a feeling they will do quite well. 

Brown looked shocking in the highlights by the way.  Agree going to a 5-3-2  make sense with the players we have 

Anyone able to work out how they came to this list?

Assume its top flight, as we've played 2 other 16yos this season alone in the cup, but then theyre missing Keigan Parker and, i think, Chris Conway.

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Gallacher has been useless in attack virtually every time hes played, hes very much someone who seems to be better the less he plays. Id say theres almost no difference between him and Robinson in terms of what they give us. Is Booth still at the club too?

Not sure of his status but Booth was in the crowd with the away fans yesterday. So was Chris Kane.

Though that it was very odd that Kane was there and not with the team, even if injured. He didn't look injured in any way.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

I dont think 3-5-2 solves anything apart from getting two up front.

We neither have the CBs or LWB to play it effectively.

But 'solving' having 2 up front is actually a really big thing.

We don't have the CBs OR the FB's to play a back 4 either. We'd be no worse off IMO.

FWIW Considine to my eye had a pretty decent game yesterday. Our full-back however are an abolute disaster.

I'm all aboard the 5-3-2 train too, until and unless we deal the FB issue.

2 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

But 'solving' having 2 up front is actually a really big thing.

We don't have the CBs OR the FB's to play a back 4 either. We'd be no worse off IMO.

FWIW Considine to my eye had a pretty decent game yesterday. Our full-back however are an abolute disaster.

I'm all aboard the 5-3-2 train too, until and unless we deal the FB issue.

We have the same issues in 4-3-3, 4-4-2 and 3-5-2. We've no goals from midfield, and our only quality wide is from Wright.

4-4-2 and 3-5-2 will end up effectively the exact same IMO, but 3-5-2 would see us more defensive as Wright would be expected to defend deeper and there would be less support for Robinson on the left so he'd go backwards all the time.

No matter how you want to set our team up the left side is the problem in attack, i think.

22 minutes ago, gingermunkie said:

{idle speculation klaxon} I presume Kane is free to chat to other clubs about a PCA, if he’s only on a short deal?

Could fully see Martindale speaking to him constantly about it.

Could fully see County offering him a wedge as payback for us trying to sign White last season too.

Thought I'd look into how it's been going for him out on loan. Not too bad!

Taking into account he is only 17. 1 start (maybe 2. Transfermrkt doesn't have stats for the league game a few weeks ago). 

3 goals based on the inccomplete stats. Scored the 4th goal in their 4-1 win in the Scottish Cup on Saturday after coming on against Hutchison Vale. They play East Kilbride in the next round. Really hope they smash that annoying wee p***ks side. 

Highlights there for those looking for an additional look. 

https://twitter.com/TranentFC/status/1706015214775275857?t=KAbloYREOt_U7uvioO1N4Q&s=19

I'm sure others will disagree, but, while it's not great we are bottom and a little adrift of those above us, there is no need for mass panic just yet.

6 games in and of those 6, we have played 4 top 6 sides from last season. County away was a disappointment clearly and the other was a home draw.

If we lose to Livi, we start to look a bit dodgy, but win and we are potentially right back in with the pack of peers. 

Also, we haven't been 'smashed' in any of the games, aside from ironically the two where we picked up points. 

Edited by Theyellowbox

2 hours ago, Theyellowbox said:

I'm sure others will disagree, but, while it's not great we are bottom and a little adrift of those above us, there is no need for mass panic just yet.

6 games in and of those 6, we have played 4 top 6 sides from last season. County away was a disappointment clearly and the other was a home draw.

If we lose to Livi, we start to look a bit dodgy, but win and we are potentially right back in with the pack of peers. 

Also, we haven't been 'smashed' in any of the games, aside from ironically the two where we picked up points. 

Don't disagree really. 

While I'm far from happy a lot of it comes from watching us constantly ship poor goals and not learning from it. The Rangers one being a prime example. Gordon can see the unmarked man and just ignores him until it's too late... goal. Stirling scored a very similar one. Individual issues. 

On another day if, but and maybe Carey's free kick goes in or Phillips scores his chance where he did very well to move it onto his left foot and create the space its different game on Saturday. They didn't though ☹️

The performances against Dundee & County though for me raises the biggest alarm bells and I think I'd be more worried about those than I would be positive about the Celtic park result.

It's all good and well playing alright against Rangers and Celtic but so far in the games where they were expected to be more involved in possession and show some attacking intent "take the game by the scruff of the neck" etc etc from the start they shat the bed and offered absolutely nothing. We can't just start playing when 2-0 down for example. 

County maybe you could say it wasnt the full squad it is now so reserve judgement on comparing it to Dundee. If Livi is the same as Dundee & County I think that'll show us where this is heading though.

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

3 hours ago, Theyellowbox said:

1 hour ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Don't disagree really. 

While I'm far from happy a lot of it comes from watching us constantly ship poor goals and not learning from it. The Rangers one being a prime example. Gordon can see the unmarked man and just ignores him until it's too late... goal. Stirling scored a very similar one. Individual issues. 

On another day if, but and maybe Carey's free kick goes in or Phillips scores his chance where he did very well to move it onto his left foot and create the space its different game on Saturday. They didn't though ☹️

The performances against Dundee & County though for me raises the biggest alarm bells and I think I'd be more worried about those than I would be positive about the Celtic park result.

It's all good and well playing alright against Rangers and Celtic but so far in the games where they were expected to be more involved in possession and show some attacking intent "take the game by the scruff of the neck" etc etc from the start they shat the bed and offered absolutely nothing. We can't just start playing when 2-0 down for example. 

County maybe you could say it wasnt the full squad it is now so reserve judgement on comparing it to Dundee. If Livi is the same as Dundee & County I think that'll show us where this is heading though.

Kind of agree with elements of both.

To me, we've played both cheeks, coming away with a point and a GD of -2. In isolation, I wouldn't be unhappy about that.

The big but, though, is that we have not then performed and got results where we maybe should have.

We have, at least in theory, an easier run of games coming up now, so just hoping that the team starts to properly gel, which in itself may help to cut out the individual errors ,and that, importantly, we can start to score goals.

If we get to the end of the first round of fixtures with no sign of improvement, then I'll start to worry.