Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

2 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

I suspect he is brilliant in training. He obviously has some positive attributes in a technical sense. It’s just that he’s a shitebag on the park.

Interestingly enough at the Open Night Macca attended he said that MacPherson was the best trainer at the club but was unlucky with fitness/injuries.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

I think theyll try him as one of the 2 behind a lone striker.

So we could see a 5-2-3 again but with, say, MacPherson and Max high and close to Kane, with Phillips/Smith in behind.

I dont think we have the wing backs to play that way well yet though.

I really hope you're wrong here. We haven't the players for this formation. 

24 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

I think we're likely to see a shape similar to that on Saturday. 

With Clark out and it being away from home it'll likely be a lone central striker with the likes of Max or Sprangler coming in for him. Extra body in midfield with Carey off Kane. 

Yeah I think we’ll see a 3-5-1-1/5-3-1-1 on Sarurday with Carey off Kane, and Smith, Sven and Phillips all starting in midfield. We’ll look to keep it tight and get a hold on the midfield early. Probably same against Celtic too. It might not be pretty but I can see a lot of sense in it against the likes of Hearts and the OF. 

kane will allow us to get up the field when we can with Smith advancing when we’re on the front foot? 

it will be asking a lot of Robinson and Costelloe, assuming they get the nod at wing back but they have both been coming on well and look like they have the legs for it now. 

If we can keep shankland quiet we might be ok. Maybe an argument for Sven to man mark him through the game? 

Edited by John Bonham

21 hours ago, The Saintee said:

Hopefully Kane is fit.

I can't see Stevie May as a lone striker any more.

Is there a potential that he's carrying a knock?

I wonder if they're at the stage with Kane and probably Clark as well due to injuries where they reduce the amount of day to day training they're involved with to allow them additional recover/rest otherwise I can see Kane breaking down with niggle after niggle. I imagine Considine won't be training every day either. 

You hear of similar stories of some guys prolonging their career by doing similar, some extreme examples are of guys not training at all and just rocking up on match days and starting. 

2 hours ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Is there a potential that he's carrying a knock?

I wonder if they're at the stage with Kane and probably Clark as well due to injuries where they reduce the amount of day to day training they're involved with to allow them additional recover/rest otherwise I can see Kane breaking down with niggle after niggle. I imagine Considine won't be training every day either. 

You hear of similar stories of some guys prolonging their career by doing similar, some extreme examples are of guys not training at all and just rocking up on match days and starting. 

No. Not heard anything to the contrary about Kane's fitness. Just thinking that after such a long lay off he might be feeling sore/tired after making his comeback.

12 hours ago, Costanza said:

MacPherson or Ballantyne? 

Levein confirms today MacPherson has picked up another injury.

No matter what you think of his ability, it feels like theres a lot of evidence now that his body just isnt up to it. You'd consider cutting him loose this Summer for that alone.

Sounds like Nicky Clark might be back in December too.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Levein confirms today MacPherson has picked up another injury.

No matter what you think of his ability, it feels like theres a lot of evidence now that his body just isnt up to it. You'd consider cutting him loose this Summer for that alone.

Sounds like Nicky Clark might be back in December too.

What were his injuries like before the vAxXiNE?

We desperately need a different option up front. May and Kane both work their socks off and hassle defenders, but there’s no threat there at all. 
Jephcott has shown nothing in previous games to suggest he’s the answer.

Continuing with only 1 out of our 4 strikers capable of getting a decent number of goals, bearing in mind he’s not young and has been a bit injury prone, is going to cost us. 

Our midfield has great options, keeper is decent and you feel Levein will get the defence well enough organised. With Wright at RWB and Robinson looking decent on the left we’re okay in those areas too.

But it’ll all be a waste if we don’t sort out our forwards.

I’d be trying to move on Jephcott if we see nothing by the winter break, and May as well come the end of the season.

Just now, PauloPerth said:

I’d be trying to move on Jephcott if we see nothing by the winter break

I feel like its a given theyll try.

Wouldnt be stunned at all if they let Turner-Cooke/Costelloe/Jaiyesimi go too, and get Gallacher off the books.

Not sure any of them are rated by the management at all, and its just enforced when they play as much as anything.

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

We desperately need a different option up front. May and Kane both work their socks off and hassle defenders, but there’s no threat there at all. 
Jephcott has shown nothing in previous games to suggest he’s the answer.

Continuing with only 1 out of our 4 strikers capable of getting a decent number of goals, bearing in mind he’s not young and has been a bit injury prone, is going to cost us. 

Our midfield has great options, keeper is decent and you feel Levein will get the defence well enough organised. With Wright at RWB and Robinson looking decent on the left we’re okay in those areas too.

But it’ll all be a waste if we don’t sort out our forwards.

I’d be trying to move on Jephcott if we see nothing by the winter break, and May as well come the end of the season.

Did Jephcott actually touch the ball today, if he did not much. Not the answer. Front men today very poor but the rest did really well.