Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

So, six games to go before the winter break. That'll take us up to 21 games played out of 38. Where do we think we need to be at that point?

Matches are:

Motherwell (a), Hibernian (h), Rangers (a), Kilmarnock (a), Livingston (a), Dundee (a).

A whole succession of away games, and a difficult home game to boot against a good attacking team who are on a decent run.

I reckon if we can take seven points from that lot we'll at the very least remain off the bottom, though probably not by very much. That would probably be a pretty decent return given the opposition, two games on plastic pitches and a trip to Ibrox.

2 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

So, six games to go before the winter break. That'll take us up to 21 games played out of 38. Where do we think we need to be at that point?

Matches are:

Motherwell (a), Hibernian (h), Rangers (a), Kilmarnock (a), Livingston (a), Dundee (a).

A whole succession of away games, and a difficult home game to boot against a good attacking team who are on a decent run.

I reckon if we can take seven points from that lot we'll at the very least remain off the bottom, though probably not by very much. That would probably be a pretty decent return given the opposition, two games on plastic pitches and a trip to Ibrox.

Ideally over 22pts, for me i think. Staying ahead of the 1PPG is key.

So 8pts minimum.

Can easy see us slumping a bit though and limping into January at the bottom again.

15 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

Cammy MacPherson interview in The Courier will state them all as winnable and we're pushing for top 6.

Levein actually spoke about the top 6 being the aim last night before the game.

9 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Glad its Robson, wouldve been gutted if we'd lost Robinson.

No one likes a Smart c**t!

In truth when I was typing it someone else was talking about the Aberdeen Ged so i must have typed his name instead!

However believe me when i say you should be worried.

12 minutes ago, Center half said:

However believe me when i say you should be worried.

Ill be disappointed if it happens, but we need a LWB who can actually attack well at some point anyway and thats still where Robinsons been lacking. I genuinely think i prefer him at LCB just now.

Gallacher aint it and Carey feels wasted there.

11 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Ill be disappointed if it happens, but we need a LWB who can actually attack well at some point anyway and thats still where Robinsons been lacking. I genuinely think i prefer him at LCB just now.

Gallacher aint it and Carey feels wasted there.

Gallacher remind me a bit of Scott Tanser's first season.

On 29/11/2023 at 21:28, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Evening Saints. I have come into ownership of the below pile of St J fanzines: 20 copies of the legendary WENDY WHO, plus two copies of a short lived alternative/successor called THE J FILES.

I will open my PMs on Sunday night to see if anyone wants to make an offer for them. Please only Perth area and I will even drop them off or meet in a suspicious fashion somewhere.

Hope someone wants them.

Cheers.

20231129_211233.jpg

Nobody interested it seems. Surprised at that!

Och well.

37 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Gallacher remind me a bit of Scott Tanser's first season.

Possibly, although is it easier to help a full back learn to defend or learn to attack?

I feel like almost all the issues that have stalled Gallachers career with us are down to a lack of game time, and i think its maybe now too late to get passed that for him. Maybe he'll get a run of games headed into January to prove himself, but i worry hes too "safe" on the ball still.

It feels like our players are encouraged to take a lot more risks on the ball under Levein/Kirk and they want players who can beat folk 1v1 all over the park too. I dont think he ticks either box.

24 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Nobody interested it seems. Surprised at that!

Och well.

If youre on Twitter it might be worth asking on there? Can soon spread it around i think. 

Even someone like @sjfcheritage on there might be interested?

On 07/12/2023 at 09:16, Jamie_B said:

I’ve been very critical of him since he joined, but I thought Carey was excellent last night - the most creative player on the park and actually producing something of an end product.

If we can get that more consistently - ideally with Wright back in the team to give it some balance and Clark through the middle - we will be far more dangerous.

Carey has always been class, with shooting boots last season he could easily have got 13 goals (and he hit that total for Plymouth when he was there). He brings a lot to the team.

On 06/12/2023 at 23:13, perthsaints99 said:

He really needs to, and I cannot stress this enough, shut the f**k up.

Ghostie is a greetin' faced moany wee balloon, a massive baby. He does, indeed, need to shut his noise up as it's embarrassing for a lad his big age to be acting like that.

Don’t think Robinson’s bad at all in attack. He took his man on and played a perfect cross for the header Hart saved last week v Celtic, he set up a goal in the comeback v Dundee.  There are other moments, and I think any lack of attacking is more indicative of how we were playing than any major limitation on his part.

He’s got better the more he’s played, and happily shouts at players a lot older and more experienced. Easy to forget he’s just 19. 

I’ll be disappointed if he goes in January, as I think he’ll keep improving to be one of our best players, and would be a major asset in the second half of the season.

5 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Don’t think Robinson’s bad at all in attack. He took his man on and played a perfect cross for the header Hart saved last week v Celtic, he set up a goal in the comeback v Dundee.  There are other moments, and I think any lack of attacking is more indicative of how we were playing than any major limitation on his part.

He’s got better the more he’s played, and happily shouts at players a lot older and more experienced. Easy to forget he’s just 19. 

I’ll be disappointed if he goes in January, as I think he’ll keep improving to be one of our best players, and would be a major asset in the second half of the season.

Im probably just being harsh, and i do think hes getting better at it the more confident he is, but he struggled to do anything in attack early on for me as a wing back.

On 07/12/2023 at 11:06, Jamie_B said:

Matches are:

We’re going to have to see a significant improvement in our away form to get points with that run of matches. So far this season, away from home our record is:-

pld 6   W 0    D 2  L 4  pts 2  GF 0 GA 9

Seems to have slipped under the radar a bit that we haven’t scored a league goal away from home all season!  Have to say I hadn’t noticed until I just checked our results.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Im probably just being harsh, and i do think hes getting better at it the more confident he is, but he struggled to do anything in attack early on for me as a wing back.

Agree that he definitely struggled earlier on, like most to be fair, and he looked way off this level.  He looks a different player now.