Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

I like Jaiyseimi. He’s far from the finished article, but he tries to find teammates, is willing to run with the ball and will turn defenders. He looks like an attacking player who is hungry to attack the opposition. 

He’s a different option to what we have, and is a welcome change from Kane and May, whose only qualities this season seem to be running round closing down defenders.

19 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

On that subject, how many Hearts players will Levein try to bring in? The likes of Forrest on loan etc

Andy Halliday has been playing on my mind as one he would want, but i hope not.

Id happily see Costelloe/Turner-Cooke out and Forrest in. Feels like an upgrade without losing anything.

44 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I like Jaiyseimi. He’s far from the finished article, but he tries to find teammates, is willing to run with the ball and will turn defenders. He looks like an attacking player who is hungry to attack the opposition. 

He’s a different option to what we have, and is a welcome change from Kane and May, whose only qualities this season seem to be running round closing down defenders.

I'm not convinced yet. Looks a very good link up player, good technially on the ball and seems to have good vision and agree that he looks a goal threat. There was one sort of half-overhead flick thing that he did in the second half from inside the box that just went a touch over. Would have been a great goal. A bit like Matt Smith, he looks like a player that's played with better players or at least a more attacking setup - sometimes plays a pass that it seems he's expecting a team mate to be getting on to.

But to me DJ looks as slow as a week in the jail, not particularly fit (wonder if he's one that CL's been taking aim at in the press) and surprisingly easy to bully off the ball. I think if he can bulk up and gain a bit of speed/pressing, I think he'd be very good but wasn't his application and attitude questioned at other clubs?

Glad we played with 2 strikers yesterday bit they seemed awful narrow to me and depite Dan's efforts we didn't manage to break through the midfield often and width won't really be a great option as long as we're playing fullbacks as wingbacks.

49 minutes ago, Saint DBL said:

Kanes a funny one, his finishing seems to be getting poorer with age, we already have a striker I have zero belief in when in front of goal so feel we should keep that type to a minimum. 

Chris Kane has never really been a particularly great finisher to be fair.

51 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Andy Halliday has been playing on my mind as one he would want, but i hope not.

Id happily see Costelloe/Turner-Cooke out and Forrest in. Feels like an upgrade without losing anything.

Only saving grace on Halliday is midfield is probably bottom of the signing priority list as it's the strongest area. 

Although he could play left back... 😬

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

2 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Chris Kane has never really been a particularly great finisher to be fair.

Disagree with that.

Some of his earlier goals for us were crackers, Morton in the cup, couple of decent ones in Dingwall, goal at dens, Albion Rovers.

He’s always missed chances, as most st johnstone strikers will, I suppose he’s just a different type of player to back then and offers something different.

Probably depends on what else is out there for us.

19 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Only saving grace on Halliday is midfield is probably bottom of the signing priority list as it's the strongest area. 

Although he could play left back... 😬

Aye LWB is where I worry they'd see him playing. Imagine the meltdown when Robinson leaves and Halliday is the replacement.

7 minutes ago, Saint DBL said:

I suppose he’s just a different type of player to back then.

Being told you're a shite finisher and working hard is your only skill, for the best part of a decade, probably shapes what striker you develop into.

1 hour ago, Saint DBL said:

Delighted spoony waited and picked the right move for himself.

Only going from highlights videos but he seems to be cruising it, superb goal yesterday.

I’ll be totally honest with you, I’d probably let him enter me.

Aye delighted for Spoony, must be a great feeling just turning up and running rings round everyone. Probably quite refreshing after years of premiership drudgery and defensive battles.

Get that it’s only highlights, but good to see exciting attacking play and great goals like in QP v ICT and the Rovers v Thistle game on Friday.  Would love to see a bit more of that in the top league, especially from us.

Spoony’s goal is 6 minutes, the very next clip he wins a penalty.

We’ll never know how it would have gone with Maclean in charge with a full squad. 
He had to throw together a new team full of kids with very few experienced players in there to help them, and paid the price. 

Got off to a bad start and couldn’t find a way out.

In the end it was the right decision to part company just to break the pattern we were in as much as anything, but who knows how it would have gone if he’d started the season with a full squad available.

Mitov, Robinson, Smith have been excellent signings, with DJ and Sprangler showing potential as well.  

Got draws at Celtic and Aberdeen so capable of organising the team.

Levein’s record is W2 D2 L2 and we’re still second bottom.  So whilst he has steadied things, and we’re playing better football in patches, there’s still a long way to go before we hail this appointment as a roaring success.

The one thing you'd definitely have to give to MacLean is  the best window in a couple of years. 

With the exception of Jephcott, all of the permanent signings have impressed or are still young enough to come good. The search started late, and MacLean admitted we ended up with more loans than he wanted, but I hope the general approach is continued. 

Edited by nelsjfc

Leveins got us organised, we were a shambles under MacLean and a lucky draw away to Celtic with Mitov making about 3 wonder saves shouldnt be used as proof otherwise.

Time will tell if our current approach is just to settle us down, build a shape, and get us back amongst it, or whether Levein will condemn us to more Davidson-ball, but so far im happy to ride with "boring and picking up points" for a while.

We desperately need a season where we're sitting in March-ish time knowing what division we're in and what we need to sign to improve the squad. You can then try and build from that and gain momentum.

3 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

We’ll never know how it would have gone with Maclean in charge with a full squad. 
He had to throw together a new team full of kids with very few experienced players in there to help them, and paid the price. 

Got off to a bad start and couldn’t find a way out.

In the end it was the right decision to part company just to break the pattern we were in as much as anything, but who knows how it would have gone if he’d started the season with a full squad available.

Mitov, Robinson, Smith have been excellent signings, with DJ and Sprangler showing potential as well.  

Got draws at Celtic and Aberdeen so capable of organising the team.

Levein’s record is W2 D2 L2 and we’re still second bottom.  So whilst he has steadied things, and we’re playing better football in patches, there’s still a long way to go before we hail this appointment as a roaring success.

Agree Paulo with what you are saying here heard someone on the Radio yesterday talking about point "Swings" and think i heard  we have  done a 8 point swing over Livingstone? since Macca was binned and different points against others  so at least we have pulled back that point gap !     

2 minutes ago, Center half said:

Agree Paulo with what you are saying here heard someone on the Radio yesterday talking about point "Swings" and think i heard  we have  done a 8 point swing over Livingstone? since Macca was binned and different points against others  so at least we have pulled back that point gap !     

Table after the St Mirren game v now

20231210_194839.thumb.jpg.f6960357e0bdfad254f8b9ce342fd7d2.jpg

Easy to forgot how doomed we looked under MacLean now we're in a better position, tbh.

4 hours ago, nelsjfc said:

The one thing you'd definitely have to give to MacLean is  the best window in a couple of years. 

With the exception of Jephcott, all of the permanent signings have impressed or are still young enough to come good. The search started late, and MacLean admitted we ended up with more loans than he wanted, but I hope the general approach is continued. 

Why is Jephcott not young enough to come good at only 23 years old?

13 hours ago, double deluxe said:

Why is Jephcott not young enough to come good at only 23 years old?

Fair point hes not much older than olufunwa and I obviously hope he does. He's looked miles off it though which is disappointing as on paper he looked like one of the better signings in the summer.

Edited by nelsjfc