Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

First thought was that Kane would be a loss and id rather he was here than not, then you look into it and hes comfortably 5th choice and has barely played in the past 2 years due to injuries. 

Do wonder if half my fear about May/Kane leaving is just because theres a fear of moving on more than them still being good enough?

The Kane of the Double season is an asset. The Kane who knackers his body playing 5s with his mates is not.

7 minutes ago, shibbydoo said:

VERY poor decision making from Levein today.

Again.

Dont know why he got so obsessed with trying to sort the right side of the defence.

Think we've had 3 different players play RB today.

26 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Again.

Dont know why he got so obsessed with trying to sort the right side of the defense 

Think we've had 3 different players play RB today.

Keljins I think said he was injured. 

I'm probably more worried about the performances of a few. Aside from Smith the midfield were non existent. Wing backs on box sides offering zero forward threat. 

Our inability to stop ANY crosses into the box is horrendous as well. Olufunwa was getting absolutely rinsed. They doubled up in the wide areas simple one two and away yet we did absolutely nothing to try and counter act it. 

2-1 was flattering IMO. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

6 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Olufunwa was getting absolutely rinsed. They doubled up in the wide areas simple one two and away yet we did absolutely nothing to try and counter act it. 

Thought it was fairly obvious we needed McGowan at RCB rather than Smith, but guess some form of point needed proved there.

37 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

I just don't get it. Our defence is too shite to be overly defensive. 

Levein seems to be in the Davidson mould of thinking goals are just incidents of pure luck, so if you defend deep and in numbers then youre reducing the chances of your opponents getting lucky and you wont concede many.

It doesnt matter that we've seen all season we cant defend crosses and that inviting opponents on to us increases the chances of us conceding, apparently.

They also view scoring goals as similar. That youre aswell just gambling on individuals magicking a goal up as its just luck whether you score or not.

Leveins subs weakened us today. We tried to hold on and not go for a second. Why take off Benji and leave Sidibe on when it’s clear he’s breathing out his arse? 

At least he’s finally calling out referees for the utter fucking shit decisions we’ve had to endure for the last 3 weeks. 

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Levein seems to be in the Davidson mould of thinking goals are just incidents of pure luck, so if you defend deep and in numbers then youre reducing the chances of your opponents getting lucky and you wont concede many.

It doesnt matter that we've seen all season we cant defend crosses and that inviting opponents on to us increases the chances of us conceding, apparently.

They also view scoring goals as similar. That youre aswell just gambling on individuals magicking a goal up as its just luck whether you score or not.

Around this time last week I was accused of being someone who would never accept Levein because he once played a 4-6-0 formation and I refused to forget this (not by Random Guy by the way). However the reason I don’t want Levein (or Kirk for that matter) is they would rather try to defend a one goal lead than increase it to two. 

The substitutions today were so negative it was ridiculous. It might be enough to save us from relegation this season but if it stays like this they’ll be playing in front of 2 men and a dug next season because no one will want to watch us. I had a little hope before the game when I saw we were playing 2 up top but asking them to chase nothing balls and then hope they somehow would get a shot off soon disabused me of that notion. 

Get out of the season in the top flight and big rebuild needed in the summer, again. 

I'd almost be tempted to go nuclear and just release all the players who are out of contract and give the management team as much freedom in the budget as we can. There's 2 or 3 out of contract in 2024 who perhaps deserve new deals but honestly, quicker we see the back of most of these players the better. 

Edited by Kyle

5 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Get out of the season in the top flight and big rebuild needed in the summer, again. 

I'd almost be tempted to go nuclear and just release all the players who are out of contract and give the management team as much freedom in the budget as we can. There's 2 or 3 out of contract in 2024 who perhaps deserve new deals but honestly, quicker we see the back of most of these players the better. 

You could punt everyone aside from Mitov, Sinclair, Matt Smith, Franczak, and the 2 new strikers, and be quite happy with your work.

Phillips i think is 100% gone no matter what.

Guess the question is whether you trust Levein enough to build us a good squad or not. 

Some signings in January make me hopeful, but i worry hes far too keen on taking total punts and we'll end up with a soft rag tag bunch of failures.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Today was arguably in the top 5 performances we've had this season, FWIW, simply because we scored and had a few shots on goal.

The last few seasons have been an absolute slog, to the point id welcome relegation simply because theres an endpoint where we actually try and actively win games. Just now we're circling the drain every year trying to draw our way to safety.

Was thinking exactly this as well. Our style of play, along with var have made going to matches a real chore.  And that today was us creating more than we have done in every other match this season!

I’m just about prepared to suffer more of this negative shiteball until the end of the season given we’re in a relegation scrap. But I’d like to know if we survive then is the intention to continue along these lines? If it is then I agree, just pull the plug and relegate us so we can start afresh.

I was actually watching wondering what the difference between this and Davidson post-double was in the first half; pack the team with defenders, let the opposition dominate midfield due to our complete lack of numbers in there, and have our strikers feeding off scraps.

Just now, PauloPerth said:

I was actually watching wondering what the difference between this and Davidson post-double was in the first half; pack the team with defenders, let the opposition dominate midfield due to our complete lack of numbers in there, and have our strikers feeding off scraps.

Im struggling to see much difference, and id probably argue the best Davidson games have been better than the best Levein ones, tbh, and that in many games we showed more attacking intent under Davidson too.

Levein will get a free pass for many for a while simply because of how bad it was when he came in, but he'll only get a handful of games next season to show more before the majority of fans turn IMO.

@Radford you were right about Robinson, though I do think he was better before the break.  He’s shite, offers nothing on the ball and slices half his clearances out the park.  I’d like to see it back, but he got caught under the free kick and made an absolute mess for their winner.

Kerr Smith for over £1m aye? He looks cumbersome and slow for a potential English premier league centre back, though early days I guess.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Im struggling to see much difference, and id probably argue the best Davidson games have been better than the best Levein ones, tbh, and that in many games we showed more attacking intent under Davidson too.

I found myself going down this road earlier on but I reckon it’s just recency bias, and a selective memory when it comes to Davidson’s last 18 months. Also worth remembering what he had at his disposal compared to Levein. 

just looking at the out of contract list. 

Goalkeepers 

Dave Richards (loan expires) 

Jack Wills 

Defenders/wing backs

James Brown

Ryan McGowan 

Liam Gordon 

Kerr Smith (loan expires) 

Andy Considine 

Liam Parker

Callum Booth

Luke Robinson (loan expires) 

Tony Gallacher

Midfielders/wingers

Drey Wright

Fran Franczak (maybe) 

Diallang Jaiyesimi (loan expires) 

Daniel Phillips

Cammy McPherson 

Ali Crawford 

Cammy Ballantyne

Graham Carey

Attackers

Chris Kane 

Taylor Steven 

I think Gordon, McGowan, Considine, Carey and Phillips are really the only ones who can claim they deserve new contract offers from this list. Drey Wright maybe based on last season, but out of 4 years he's been with us over 2 spells essentially missed about half of it through injury. I'd be looking to offer reduced terms for all of them except Phillips to be honest, no doubt Gordon is on a fortune and the others we shouldn't be looking at them being first choice players next year if they are retained. 

Franczak speaks for himself, I hope he's already fixed up with longer but I don't see any evidence of this  online so have included him too. 

The rest? Get the trebauchet. Some can leave with thanks, some can maybe feel they've either not had a chance or been a bit unlucky, the rest can just f**k off, frankly.