Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Everyone seems to certainly Gus doesn't do anything? Im not saying he does or doesn't but surely there's a lot of slagging coming from those who actually don't have a clue? 🤷‍♂️

I've seen him being blamed for there being no goalkeeping coach as well on here as twitter. Theres a lot of conclusions being jumped to get to that I imagine. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

10 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Everyone seems to certainly Gus doesn't do anything? Im not saying he does or doesn't but surely there's a lot of slagging coming from those who actually don't have a clue? 🤷‍♂️

I've seen him being blamed for there being no goalkeeping coach as well on here as twitter. Theres a lot of conclusions being jumped to get to that I imagine. 

He didn't exactly do himself many favours at the Open Night TBF.

22 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Like you, I don’t know his job description or parameters but if it doesn’t include identifying players and coaches then what exactly does it include?

26 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

When they "restructured" the boardroom he was directly named by Webb as "running the football side", so it's fair to blame him for the lack of staff IMO.

24 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

He didn't exactly do himself many favours at the Open Night TBF.

It's one of those things though. Not sure he needs to justify his job to the supporters. 

11 minutes ago, johnoswald2712 said:

Like you, I don’t know his job description or parameters but if it doesn’t include identifying players and coaches then what exactly does it include?

I can imagine there's quite a lot of work required to comply with the requirements of the SFA/SPFL etc etc. 

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

When they "restructured" the boardroom he was directly named by Webb as "running the football side", so it's fair to blame him for the lack of staff IMO.

And if Levein refuses everyone he's been offered so far? 

I think the point is people are absolutely raging about his existence without actually having anything beyond "it must be his fault" to explain the rage 🤷‍♂️ 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

Glad that Connor Smith and Olufunwa have moved on. Good luck to them both, but not at the standard we need.

You’ve got to question the signing of Smith, but I’m guessing the manager was so desperate to freshen things up in January that he ended up bringing in anyone who was available. The one thing I like about it is at least he’s recognised it, along with McPake, and is prepared to acknowledge the obvious rather than trying to flog a dead horse.

Feel with our shortage at centre back just now that a new centre back must be imminent, otherwise we would have held onto Olufunwa as cover for a bit.

26 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

And if Levein refuses everyone he's been offered so far? 

I can't see him willingly going months without a permanent GK coach tbh.

MacPhersons issue is he's had a fairly important sounding title for years and yet there's been zero progress building anything behind the scenes. There's no scouting department, and we've pretty much gone months without a goalkeeping coach. When Levein is busy trying to scout players, sign players, plan for games and then manage them, MacPherson needs to be seen to he helping more. As it is he seems happy to sit doing paperwork and leaving others to flounder.

4 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

You’ve got to question the signing of Smith, but I’m guessing the manager was so desperate to freshen things up in January that he ended up bringing in anyone who was available. 

I'm convinced they wanted him to play off a lone striker in the 5-2-3 shape we tried a lot in Leveins early days. That sort of half winger/half attacking midfielder role is probably ideal for Smith and it made sense.

Moving away from that shape left him a bit worthless as he couldn't play out wide and couldn't play CM.

Edited by RandomGuy.

1 hour ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

It's exactly his job. He is in charge of all football operations. There will be a lot more that we see, re contracts etc, but I'd have thought getting a gk coach would have been pretty near the top. We are actually short on coaches across the board at the club re youths etc.

There is a bit of me holding back blame on him and there may well be other factors thst mean he isn't able to do quite what he wants, but Levein has held similar roles, so we have a few very experienced heads in an around the club. 

With Olufunwa away, that leaves us with only three out and out centre halves and maybe two guys (Essel and Keltjens) you can get away with in three. 

That said, feels like the last 12 months has been more about clearing the decks without leaving us too short. That seems to almost been achieved. Still feel we are just a few injuries away from a crisis though. 

13 minutes ago, nelsjfc said:

With Olufunwa away, that leaves us with only three out and out centre halves and maybe two guys (Essel and Keltjens) you can get away with in three. 

That said, feels like the last 12 months has been more about clearing the decks without leaving us too short. That seems to almost been achieved. Still feel we are just a few injuries away from a crisis though. 

Agree.

Feel this year could be a challenge, but if we stay up then we’re starting next year from a better place, with mostly just players we want being the ones left on the books and the deadwood away.

Convincing players to sign for us seems to be an issue these days, so it could be another difficult summer.

With a core of Raymond, Essel, Holt, Kimpioka, Kirk and Sidibeh, there’s potential there. But would feel far more confident if we had a bit of stability at the back in goals and defence. Having to build a new defence every season is not good for continuity.

11 minutes ago, shibbydoo said:

Kirk will turn out to be the best striker signing

Maybe. He's been good but I worry he'll be a lot less effective once he's starting games and not coming on against tiring defences.