Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

33 minutes ago, henryhallsdanceband said:

You beat me to it.  Def fancy a wee bit of a Wagnerian fanfare for the team walk on.

Admin guys missed a trick by not using it as part of his announcement. His face super imposed onto one of the guys in the helicopter alongside Webb, Cleland and a few of the players. Couldn't posdibly comment on whether Cami would be the one getting blown up. 

Cracking article in The Courier about the manager search.

Way I've read it is...

- Tommy Wright didnt show an interest in the job or would've been in the running

- Valakari and Scott Brown interviewed last Wednesday, Browns side leaked his name

- Brown told them he was inclined to stay at Ayr but wanted to sleep on, "second attempt" at getting him was just checking he hadn't changed his mind after he'd slept on it

- Lynch/Leven interviewed last Friday, Leven wasn't considered after the interview

- Lynch and Valakari approached over wage demands

- Lynch wage, plus his two assistants who he wouldn't move without, was deemed a massive expense and not worth it due to his CV compared to Valakari 

- Valakari agreed everything in principle but wanted to wait until after Rigas weekend game before leaving 

I think now the dust is settling, regardless of whether the rest of this season goes the way Billy Stark's top flight season went or we catch fire like we did when we started poorly the Covid season, we simply have to keep faith with Valakari and give him the time and hopefully the resources to turn us around. He's not been part of Scottish football for a long time now so there will be an adjustment period 

Levein has left us with some good players but a poor squad IMO. It's encouraging that Valakari has immediately identified that we need centre backs and a goalkeeper because he at least can see what the major issues are with the playing squad, hopefully he can get us by until January and then do what'll have to be significant surgery to the squad in January. 

Since Wright left we've had managers who just don't inspire anything from the support base, I'd say the two who had longest were more cerebral, quiet types and just weren't every going to rally the troops. It's nice to have someone who seems to have bit of fire and charisma back at the club. We really need it as you can feel the apathy at games, a meek acceptance that the standards have been allowed to drop through the floor and those who've been at the club just didn't want to aspire to be anything other than cockroaches in the top flight, just playing to survive and for draws in what should be looked upon as eminently winnable games. It still really grates on me that Davidson saw beating Inverness - at home when they are a pretty average Championship club - as a greater achievement than winning a cup double. Absolutely mind boggling. 

Edited by Kyle

Just now, mizfit said:

f**k me, the more he talks the more I like what I hear. 

Aye.

It probably leads to us being thumped, but I'd be tempted to go bold as f**k for the game tbh. Tavernier was subbed off for the first time I can remember, and if he starts on Sunday then you know that anything he does wrong is seeing the fans turn on him/the team.

Get someone with pace running at him, or just sitting in the space he leaves, and see if you can get the fans against them early on.

Levein was on The Warm Up podcast but barely touched on his sacking. Guess he's keeping it for his own podcast episode. 

He did say that he could "see it coming" and that he hopes Kirk stays because he's an excellent coach.