Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

5 minutes ago, Zamora Fan said:

Sorry for the blunt response, I panicked and did some very hurried googling when I read “gone”!

I may have pressed the wrong buttons as well instead of blaming it changing via predictive with F being beside G and O being beside I.

So I've ended up with gone rather than fine

Saying 'the squad should be finishing in x place but for the manager' sidesteps the fact it is now mostly Davidson's (massive) squad. That plus the team's attitude, you have to credit him for. 

I'd still have him out as the football is eye-bleeding and the shit-fest and nick a goal approach needs binned. We can play the formation / way he wants to without being so conservative.

Probably the biggest issue at the moment is still the central midfield - with such a big squad it's ridiculous we are playing 3 players out of position as our mid 3.  

5 minutes ago, monkfish said:

Saying 'the squad should be finishing in x place but for the manager' sidesteps the fact it is now mostly Davidson's (massive) squad. That plus the team's attitude, you have to credit him for. 

I'd still have him out as the football is eye-bleeding and the shit-fest and nick a goal approach needs binned. We can play the formation / way he wants to without being so conservative.

Probably the biggest issue at the moment is still the central midfield - with such a big squad it's ridiculous we are playing 3 players out of position as our mid 3.  

You can see there’s moments where it’s like we break out and start playing free flowing football or look close to it, but we’re still not 100% with taking our foot off the pedal yet. 

I think it’s the next step, but after last season I’ll accept 10 wins like yesterday so long as we’re not hanging around the bottom 2. Though I suspect the current 2 will be the 2 at the end unless something major happens.

I don't think he's ever going to change his approach from 'keep it tight' as plan A in the vast majority of games. I would love to be wrong and he'll have a conversion at some point, but after nearly 2.5 seasons I can't see it.

The best I can hope for while he's here is that the system is played the best it can be - i.e. one of the CBs pushes up in attack, we play 2 wing backs who attack, and we play a balanced midfield 3. We don't do any of these currently so there is room to improve...

Edited by monkfish

1 hour ago, monkfish said:

There's a discussion in the match thread and it's a common one recently around how happy or otherwise fans are with performances like yesterday and at Easter Road, given the undeniably dreadful style of football we're witnessing. Like most others I struggle to get too excited even with a win as it's just so dour, but can't lie that a win, even an ugly one, brightens up the weekend. 

Agree the midfield is an issue but I'm not quite as concerned as most. Yes Carey and Wotherspoon are not holding players but they can do a job in there, even if they are prone to giving up possession, ditto Hallberg and Melker does have the attributes of being good-ish in the air and calm on the ball. What we don't have is a fit disruptive ball-winner and I expect that plan A for Callum was that would be Phillips/Davidson/McPherson. Two of them are semi-permanent crocks and Dan looks like he might be in Davidson's big bucket of 'the untrusted' (which likely means we'll see him on Sunday). 

As long as we play 3 in there I don't think it's our biggest issue. I'm now more concerned about our wing backs. For our style to improve I think we need much better quality on both sides. I confess I liked Drey pre-injury but on this season's showing he's not the player he was and he's not giving us presence or threat on the right. On the left it's as bad if not worse. Our best option seems to be Montgomery but he still looks like a development player at best. On the plus side, with Carey and Spoony back and with the May/Clarke combo we he more options to play through the inside channels more. 

TLDR: Treading water and picking up points with shitfesting is fine if it's part of a master plan to build on and become more exciting over time, the cobbled-together midfield can do a job until we strengthen but we need more threat from wing-backs able and encouraged to play high up. IMO. 

1 hour ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Well he's certainly no Jahmal Hector Ingram

Clark is a safe striker at this level, won't score that many but isn't really bad. Just a meh player in a squad of many. 

I'd rather we halved the squad size for real quality, backed up with youngsters. Having ten pish players sitting in the stand each week, a few of which we've paid fees for is a ringing endorsement of the signing policy. I get the youngsters need game time and this is where the loans come in but we could've used the reserve league for that. 

I feel like I'm constantly moaning about Saints at the moment, which is a shite state of affairs. I was delighted with the three points yesterday for about 25 seconds then it was "that was an absolutely pish performance, defending for 85 minutes, can't play 10 yard passes, etc etc".

It wouldn’t surprise me if we end up with a better away record, as I think it suits our style for teams to come onto us more.

Have to say I thought McLennan and Bair did well when they came on Saturday, giving us a threat in behind Kilmarnock.  Certainly more impact than we’ve seen from them so far.

Why the f**k Melker opted to pass to our striker beside the defender instead of the one (possibly McLennan?) wide open with half a pitch of space to run into in the second half 3 v 1 is beyond me!

24 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

It wouldn’t surprise me if we end up with a better away record, as I think it suits our style for teams to come onto us more.

Have to say I thought McLennan and Bair did well when they came on Saturday, giving us a threat in behind Kilmarnock.  Certainly more impact than we’ve seen from them so far.

Why the f**k Melker opted to pass to our striker beside the defender instead of the one (possibly McLennan?) wide open with half a pitch of space to run into in the second half 3 v 1 is beyond me!

Agree with all of this. Away games have definitely been more ‘entertaining’ this season, Livingston aside. Was impressed with Bair on Saturday as he actually looked as though he had some idea of how to use his frame. 

On 29/10/2022 at 21:40, capt_oats said:

giphy.gif

517722906_Screenshot2022-10-29at21_36_38.png.e123d43871892e290e81b8607a393ee2.png

Last season overall:

543505265_Screenshot2022-10-27at11_21_36.thumb.png.0124222382fcac2012df7abe2b09adfb.png

Nicked this of the Motherwell thread.

Had no idea killie only had 1 point from 6 away matches going into Saturday’s match.  Thought it was a really good away support from them anyway, but now that I see the stats, fair play that was excellent.

Not sure I'd say it was a foul on the goalkeeper, but there you go! Either way I think both VAR decisions were the correct ones in the end, I can see why McInnes was annoyed, but realistically all that VAR has done in the last 2 games is correct the decisions that we'd normally be punished for. (As it should!)

28 minutes ago, Widge said:

Not sure I'd say it was a foul on the goalkeeper, but there you go! Either way I think both VAR decisions were the correct ones in the end, I can see why McInnes was annoyed, but realistically all that VAR has done in the last 2 games is correct the decisions that we'd normally be punished for. (As it should!)

Exactly. I'm all for VAR if it punishes the Martin Boyles of this world. 

If anyone had asked which sides Saints would benefit from using VAR this season I'd have said both bigots, Aberdeen and Hibs. Kilmarnock is just an unexpected bonus.