Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Just looked up La Liga to see where this team stand...

Oh, they must be in Segunda División...

Hmmm...

Not even the third tier either but the 90-team, semi-professional fourth tier. Currently mid-table, just below a bunch of club reps from Ibiza. So currently around 120th in the Spanish pyramid.

What exactly are we going to get out of this and why was this team chosen? SURELY not because some lads went there on holiday?

57 minutes ago, Radford said:

What exactly are we going to get out of this and why was this team chosen? SURELY not because some lads went there on holiday?

That's exactly what's happened :lol:

Few lads were at a game and got in tow with some ultras, been going over a couple of times a year ever since. Got a couple of flags made and now it's a "Partnership".

2 hours ago, Radford said:

What exactly are we going to get out of this 

Some lovely corporate days out in Alicante for the board and friends...

That’s actually hilarious if folk involved with our social media, or pals of them, went there on a trip and have now decided Saints have some sort of connection to these Spanish jobbers. 

Must be a contender for the tinpot thread.

If we’re going to do something like this, then surely the ‘bunch of club reps from Ibiza’ team radford mentioned would be a far more popular choice?!

I’ve just re-emerged from a Spanish football structure wormhole thanks to this.

If anyone needs info on the relegation play-offs from last season’s Segunda B division rfef group 5, give me a shout.

It looks like Hercules aren’t quite the jobbers their current league position suggests.

They were in the top flight as recently as 2010-11, where they recorded their third successive win against Barcelona, and also drew with Barca in the copa del Rey 5 years ago.

Spanish football looks set up to allow a huge movement of clubs up and down the structure. They’re in the 4th tier, where 90 clubs are split into 5 regional divisions. From Hercules’ division, one goes up as champions, the next 4 are in promotion play-offs. The bottom 5 get relegated, with the club in 13th going into relegation play offs.  There’s not much mid-table obscurity going on!  Sounds as though a couple of poor seasons and you can really spiral down the pyramid.

Some of the clubs have grounds with a capacity as low as 500, Hercules are by far the biggest of the 90 with a capacity of near 30,000.  

2 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Hercules sound strong as f**k. And it’s easier to spell than Eskisehirspor. And easier to get to.

Sorry Eses, it’s not you it’s us. We just need some space. You should get out there, meet other clubs, move on.

We have.

Eskişehir is paradise compared to Ali fucking cante though.

6 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I’ve never been, take it it’s a shitehole? 

Alicante, for me anyway, is your typical built up tourist place in Spain. It has a castle, old town bit and beach and the rest is basically copy/paste of hundreds of other Spanish coastal resorts. I'm not overly keen on Spain though so it might just be me.

Turkey > Spain for me.

Four games til the World Cup farce and a month break.

Kilmarnock (H) Rangers(H) St Mirren (A)

Motherwell (H)

For all the frustration from Friday night prior to the sending off, and the fact that it was a feeble capitulation by Hibs, there looked to be a real sense of attacking purpose and the shackles being removed from a lot of our players to get us back into the game.

The concern now is with so many players available we get constant tinkering and trying to be too clever with selections and formations. We arguably have the players to be a decent mid-table side if we get the set up right.

3 out of 4 matches at home, we should be looking for at least 6-7 points out of the next 4 games to keep us well away from the relegation places at the break.

A midfield 4 and front 2 of:

Wright-McGowan-Hallberg-W’spoon

May  Clark

is surely fairly competitive against most sides.  I’d definitely keep McGowan in midfield as he’s been our best midfielder by a mile this season, and would provide cover for two centre backs.  You’d also have Murphy, Carey and Kucheriavyi to bring on.

Sticking with 5 at the back just feels like it leaves us short in midfield.

Five defenders is fine if at least one is capable of joining in when you attack. When it worked for us, McCart could certainly push forward but really it was Kerr who was heavily involved in most moves down the right.

If none of the three are prepared to do that then you are going to struggle to break a good defence down and need attacking players with extra quality to find a killer pass or cross that can take opponents out of the game.

On Friday night we had three CBs who made 6 passes into the final third from inside the opposition half before the red card, a wing back who I don't think anyone could say is comfortable going forward, a defender playing in central midfield and the wide players were a former winger who had terrible numbers and was converted to a more defensive role and a player who has played about half-a-dozen positions already in his short Saints career.

Absolutely no idea why we created absolutely nothing before the red card and introduction of May, Murphy and Wotherspoon...

It was certainly fair to say we could lack an identity under Tommy Wright but as I watched our brand of idiot football you couldn't but wonder, what are we trying to do here?

Have tried to go easy on the manager since the window closed but need to see a lot more in the next four games than we have in last four. But not naive enough to not realise that if we pick up a few points and are in a similar placing in the table come the World Cup that there is zero chance of any change coming.