Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

For Hibs next week, my team (we’re not going to change formation obviously):

Matthews

Brown Mitchell Gordon Montgomery

Wright Hallberg McGowan Kucheriavyi

Clark May

Gordon and Mitchell as I feel they’re more mobile and quicker, but understand if there were shouts for Considine left Mitchell right cb. 

McGowan sitting protecting defence. Brown defender first and foremost, can move across to make it more of a three if Montgomery is pushing forward to support Kucheriavyi.

If Spoony is ready to start, play him wide left instead.

12 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

McGowan needs to play CM, in this shape, so we have someone who can compete physically and win the ball.

McGowan can't play CM, in this shape, because the wide CBs aren't moving forward and McGowan is Muzz mk2 on the ball, so teams just have to shut down our wing backs and we're forced long.

I genuinely have no clue how we set up best with the fit players we have. Our only right back options are Brown or McGowan, both are so defensive it'll end up much like our back 3 is at the moment anyway. We have no deep midfielder who can pass the ball effectively, so we'll struggle to build through the middle. I guess we'll have to wait and see with Phillips but I don't think its his game, or we hope MacPherson has (somehow) learned that hes a limited player who is likely to only ever be effective at this level long term if he just kept things simple (or that the bag of bones of Murray Davidson can scrape together another 25 games without falling apart). Yet have 6 players who look to be at their best playing as an advanced CM with little defensive responsibility (Wotherspoon/Crawford/Murphy/Carey/Max/Hallberg). We have one player who can play up front alone, but nobody has a clue what his injury is and when he returns.

But this isn't a new issue for us. 

So depressing but all correct.

8 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

For Hibs next week, my team (we’re not going to change formation obviously):

Matthews

Brown Mitchell Gordon Montgomery

Wright Hallberg McGowan Kucheriavyi

Clark May

Gordon and Mitchell as I feel they’re more mobile and quicker, but understand if there were shouts for Considine left Mitchell right cb. 

McGowan sitting protecting defence. Brown defender first and foremost, can move across to make it more of a three if Montgomery is pushing forward to support Kucheriavyi.

If Spoony is ready to start, play him wide left instead.

Would be happy to see this but as you say, not going to happen. Max as a winger? Not sure that Spoony is that any more.  I don't think we necessarily have the players for a back 4 but assuming I'd be more inclined to have something like this with the players it seems we have available to start. Montgomery I'm told is a converted winger rather than an actual WB, much like Wright, and like him he can defend but clearly likes to get forward. Max has the energy for box-to-box. 

Brown  Mitchell  McGowan  Considine

Wright Hallberg Max Montgomery

Clark May

Another observation from recent games. Set pieces are the majority of the time are terrible.

They got the goal against Celtic from the free kick but aside from that especially the corners have been quite poor. Usually those free kicks from that area to straight to the keeper also. 

The throw-ins are launched into the box each time, I can't think of a single one the defensive side haven't won the first ball from. It's just hopeful stuff without any plan. 

The corners though are the biggest mess. If Carey isn't taking them they're zero threat. They're more often than not into deep areas and so floaty that even if a Saints player does win it there's little chance they can get enough on it for it to be a realistic threat if they head it directly at goal. 

We're so predictable in every aspect of our game. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

Yes when you watched the quality of deliveries Livingston put into our box yesterday, it was night and day compared to ours.  Thought a lot of their corners were right on the money.

Livi probably do have a lot more big players to attack/ defend set pieces giving them an advantage over us.

8 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Yes when you watched the quality of deliveries Livingston put into our box yesterday, it was night and day compared to ours.  Thought a lot of their corners were right on the money.

Livi probably do have a lot more big players to attack/ defend set pieces giving them an advantage over us.

That's another point. If Livi are a big side strong at defending balls into the box why did we just launch all the throw-ins in there anyway. Work it quick to draw them out of position etc. Do something different. 

Nope. Into the box it goes. Predictable and potentially just playing into the oppositions strength. Certainly an example of the game plan for the game not being thought out at very least. 

One of my bigger issues with Callum Davidson’s management style is that during the Tommy Wright days he and the coaching staff clearly spent a lot of time analysing the team we were going to play and then setting up a team, strategy etc based on what he saw as their weaknesses. Sometimes this didn’t work and people gave him the “tinkering Tommy” title. Generally though I always felt we did better against the Hibs/Hearts etc thanks to this preparation.

Now under Davidson we set up the same way and play the same way every single week with no obvious variations based on who we’re playing. Sticking to the long throws against Livi’s backline of giants is a good example of that. This sort of management means that he is so easily outthought and we rarely ever take anything against better sides under Davidson.

51 minutes ago, Zamora Fan said:

One of my bigger issues with Callum Davidson’s management style is that during the Tommy Wright days he and the coaching staff clearly spent a lot of time analysing the team we were going to play and then setting up a team, strategy etc based on what he saw as their weaknesses. Sometimes this didn’t work and people gave him the “tinkering Tommy” title. Generally though I always felt we did better against the Hibs/Hearts etc thanks to this preparation.

Now under Davidson we set up the same way and play the same way every single week with no obvious variations based on who we’re playing. Sticking to the long throws against Livi’s backline of giants is a good example of that. This sort of management means that he is so easily outthought and we rarely ever take anything against better sides under Davidson.

100% agree. The acceptable standards have dropped so far under Davidson too, yet there’s still people in our support who can’t see passed him. Utterly bizarre. 

Matthews

Wright   Mitchell   Considine   Gallacher/Montgomery

Max   McGowan   Hallberg

Wotherspoon/Carey

Clark   May

That's what I'd be playing. In attack you'd have the fullbacks pushing high up to give you your width. McGowan can drop back in and form a 3 at the back when this happens and you've still got the legs of the other 2 midfielders to cover and support both forward and backwards. I mean it's far too attacking for Davidson to even consider, but we need to vent on here and this is my preferred system with the personnel available. I think Max has to play now, he's proven he's more than capable and at least looks forward. Spoony being back should help the midfield and the lack of creativity, but whether he'll ever reach the same standards again we just don't know.

Yes, this does involve dropping our captain, but as I've alluded to elsewhere he needs to be dropped for his won sake. He's not playing well enough to justify a place in the team at all. The above formation isn't even that different to what we currently play on reflection and could easily switch back into the 5-2-1-2 that we're trying to go with right now. Just even an attempt at something different would be a start, but it's never going to happen.