Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Um. Yes he is.

He's not our best midfielder. He's the best at getting on the ball and showing some composure, but there's more weaknesses in his game than others have. It's the classic scenario of he doesn't play and he becomes Pirlo. I'm a huge Millar fan and always have been, but he's been on the decline for a while. Not to say he doesn't deserve to be treated better, he absolutely does if all this is true and he's still got another year in him I'd say.

11 hours ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

I know most if not all posters on here have been very reasonable with their points of view regarding Midge being allegedly left out but wider there has been a somewhat freakout reaction. 

Yes he played in Scottish cup winning side. Yes even last season he made some great contributions and even if he played I know many of us, me included feel he would still contribute this season. 

I also don't claim to know any details but only basing my thoughts on how things have progressed this season. 

3 games, 3 wins, while I know the season is not defined on first 3 games, team selection is. TW made his choice at Killie due to pitch etc. We won. 

We made changes for Partick game and lost.

He picked the 9 players who started at Killie + MOH & Macca. We won. 

He picked same 11 against Thistle. We won. 

Even if Midge was in managers thoughts it would be hard for him to get into the team behind Muzz, Paton, Mclean & Liam. Mclean has not kicked a ball either. 

While I do feel its financially motivated even if it wasn't it seems to me like Midge is not 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th choice so doesn't surprise me why he is left out. 

He's being moved on because hes 5th choice... & im about 80% sure he's the highest earner of the 5 players. 

We've actually played 6 games. Our record is LLWLWW and we're out of 2 cup competitions, one of which gave us our best opportunity of winning something. 

Edited by 7-2

We've actually played 6 games. Our record is LLWLWW and we're out of 2 cup competitions, of which gave us our best opportunity of winning something. 

I'm not sure we can include the Europa League as an opportunity to win something. [emoji23]

We're good, not that good!

33 minutes ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

No he's not. He's usually very composed on the ball. He can't really tackle. He certainly can't shoot.

Agree finishing isn't a strength of his, but then that's not a huge factor for a holding midfielder.

But to say Millar can't tackle?!  He doesn't dive in to tackles the same way Davidson or Paton do, he tends to stay on his feet far more, but he wins the ball back plenty.  And he usually keeps it.

Genuinely, when Millar and Muzz are fully fit, i think they're the most effective central midfield pairing in the Premiership outwith Celtic.  Admittedly just a friendly, but the pair of them dominated the midfield against a team just relegated from the EPL just a couple of months ago.

I don't think there's any rose tinted specs going on at all here; its a long season, and Paton, Davidson and Craig will pick up suspensions and injuries.

3 minutes ago, Widge said:

I'm not sure we can include the Europa League as an opportunity to win something. emoji23.png

We're good, not that good!

Yes, missing out 'one' did make a tiny bit of a difference.

13 minutes ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

No I'm not. He's not particularly good at tackling or shooting. Accept it.

He's calm and composed, usually, on the ball and that's a great attribute.

Saying Millar can't tackle is like saying paul Paton can't do lunges from behind.

I'd actually wager, confidently, that Millar makes more tackles in a game than both Paton and Muzz. Not big slideys but ball winning interceptions/tackles.

Saying Millar can't tackle is like saying paul Paton can't do lunges from behind.
I'd actually wager, confidently, that Millar makes more tackles in a game than both Paton and Muzz. Not big slideys but ball winning interceptions/tackles.

Interceptions aren't tackles though.

I'm not disputing he's a fine player but at the moment he's not the best option for us.

I'd wager the complete opposite that Paton and Muzz probably win the ball back more although they don't use it as well as Millar does, generally.