Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Yes.

I get that he's not quite the out and out goalscorer you're looking for, but I'm surprised at just how opposed to the signing you all are. Yes, he's not scored close to enough at Colchester and is more of a link up player than goalscorer, but he's still young and was excellent in the Championship. He had a bit of a blip with us where the goals dried up but he really developed over the course of that season and was a much better player when he left than he was at the start of the season.

I get that he's not exactly Stevie May, but he's a young player with potential to improve who's likely to be better than Cummins already. While there's no guarantee he wouldn't be a flop, it's not like you're signing an obvious dud who can only be a failure in the Lawrence Shankland mould.

We've had that exact scenario with Chris Kane for the past 12 months, and Callum Hendry seems rated enough to be the "player with potential who'll fill in with needed", we need a player who can come in and score goals. We had 30 attempts on goal against Trakai and only scored once, and then had plenty of chances agaisnt Thistle and ended up losing, that's two competitions we're out of due to a lack of goalscorer.

Our managers spent the last month saying he'd rather not sign anyone than sign another "squad filler", and that's what Johnstone seems to be.

We'll mostly be playing one up front this year, so we need a player to compete with MacLean, is Johnstone at that level?

We look very light in central midfield at the moment. Millar frozen out, Davidson due an injury and Paton is Paton. Just leaves Liam Craig really that could play that type of role. Unless Alston or Spoony could adapt. Not convinced.

5 minutes ago, Costanza said:

We look very light in central midfield at the moment. Millar frozen out, Davidson due an injury and Paton is Paton. Just leaves Liam Craig really that could play that type of role. Unless Alston or Spoony could adapt. Not convinced.

Mclean?

My best guess is Midge has been left out similarly to Watson, to move them on to free up wages. Last season Millar was one of our higher earners & probably still is. 

Is George hunter still with you guys? Young striker think you got from Spartans, was out on loan at Elgin the airdrie a think..

No, left this Summer

I know most if not all posters on here have been very reasonable with their points of view regarding Midge being allegedly left out but wider there has been a somewhat freakout reaction. 

Yes he played in Scottish cup winning side. Yes even last season he made some great contributions and even if he played I know many of us, me included feel he would still contribute this season. 

I also don't claim to know any details but only basing my thoughts on how things have progressed this season. 

3 games, 3 wins, while I know the season is not defined on first 3 games, team selection is. TW made his choice at Killie due to pitch etc. We won. 

We made changes for Partick game and lost.

He picked the 9 players who started at Killie + MOH & Macca. We won. 

He picked same 11 against Thistle. We won. 

Even if Midge was in managers thoughts it would be hard for him to get into the team behind Muzz, Paton, Mclean & Liam. Mclean has not kicked a ball either. 

While I do feel its financially motivated even if it wasn't it seems to me like Midge is not 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th choice so doesn't surprise me why he is left out. 

He's being moved on because hes 5th choice... & im about 80% sure he's the highest earner of the 5 players. 

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

I know most if not all posters on here have been very reasonable with their points of view regarding Midge being allegedly left out but wider there has been a somewhat freakout reaction. 
Yes he played in Scottish cup winning side. Yes even last season he made some great contributions and even if he played I know many of us, me included feel he would still contribute this season. 
I also don't claim to know any details but only basing my thoughts on how things have progressed this season. 
3 games, 3 wins, while I know the season is not defined on first 3 games, team selection is. TW made his choice at Killie due to pitch etc. We won. 
We made changes for Partick game and lost.
He picked the 9 players who started at Killie + MOH & Macca. We won. 
He picked same 11 against Thistle. We won. 
Even if Midge was in managers thoughts it would be hard for him to get into the team behind Muzz, Paton, Mclean & Liam. Mclean has not kicked a ball either. 
While I do feel its financially motivated even if it wasn't it seems to me like Midge is not 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th choice so doesn't surprise me why he is left out. 
He's being moved on because hes 5th choice... & im about 80% sure he's the highest earner of the 5 players. 

He's easily not fifth choice in terms of ability. He's the only central midfielder we have who's remotely comfortable on the ball, and we still look a poorer side without him. The only way I'd say he was fifth choice and should be allowed to leave is if he was constantly injured as he was two seasons ago, but that doesn't seem like it's a problem judging by recent comments.

The Courier has us signing Johnstone before the weekend.

Urgh. Feels like yet another five goal a season striker who works hard to make up for a lack of ability.