Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Right now I’d say we have to be fairly clear favourites for relegation. 

Could all change when we get players back and if a few new signings come in (essential!), but right now that’s where we’re at.

The season we started 10 without a win with Duffy and Vihman in defence was probably the last time I felt this pessimistic about a Saints team.

Promising youngsters are not necessarily premiership standard, no matter how much we want them to be.

Hoping it all changes, 10 days is time to get a big improvement, but I’m glad we’re not playing Hearts this Saturday! 

Can only echo what others have said. On one hand I feel for MacLean as injuries have forced him into the team on the pitch. On the other we should still be performing better. Wright can’t play at right back, he needs to move further forward, Considine can’t be a starter and equally the midfield has been left horribly unbalanced. A fit Phillips makes a big difference. We’re also stuck playing May (who was awful tonight) and Jephcott (not match fit and probably shouldn’t have played a second game in 4 days), but we have nobody else. 

That’s the negatives (or at least some of them), there were few positives, but once again Gallacher was our best outfield player. The keeper looks like he might save us points and we are looking like playing football again this year, just not enough and at the right times. 

Also special mention to Nick Walsh who was his typical awful self. We should have had a penalty for handball ourselves, then the Ballantyne one isn’t a penalty under the laws. His hand is supporting him as far as I can see, which isn’t a penalty. 

Half our squad arent top flight standard, while this style/shape is going to be an absolute disaster in the top flight unless he sorts of the midfield.

I like McGowan and Ballantyne, and they give you lots of what they give you, but neither seems to actually want the ball. Phillips/MacPherson probably help on the ball but are either actually good enough? For all the praise Phillips is still bad for loose passes.

For all the downsides though, the games different if May scores the absolute sitter at the start. Im more annoyed about that than any referee decision. Youre about 16 yards out with the keeper to beat and what looked like a perfect angle, and you hit it with no power straight at him. Powderpuff stuff that sums this team up.

Im still fairly convinced we'll be stuck to the bottom of the table for most of the season and down before the split. 

Fucking Considine was done before we handed him a two year deal and he's extra done now. 

And as for Liam Gordon...FFS...

We cannot play Drey Wright at RB any more. 

Unless something outrageous happens we'll be relegated by Christmas.

I think 3 more signings or not, we're still in a lot of bother. That's the legacy left by giving a dead parrot manager a ridiculously huge budget and permission to sign far too many players, most of whom have no quality. 

I'm not convinced giving the assistant manager from the last two years the job on a full time basis was a good idea to be honest. Styles are chalk and cheese but how he's managed to sidestep criticism for that time period doesn't sit right with me. I felt we needed a clean out at the time and, whilst he's saying all the right things, targeting the right kind of players, he has to shoulder some of the responsibility for the previous two years too. He obviously has my full backing now he's in the job and will be patient whilst he tries to solve what currently looks like an unsolvable puzzle.

Edited by Kyle

Max played alright tonight. I think we're learning he's not quite the messiah world beater like many seemed to think after his Rangers performance last season. 

That game should have been over after 20 mins. Too much focus around May and his work outside the box. All completely undone if he's not going to score chances like the one in the first half tonight. 

Ballantyne disappeared in the second half. As did May. 

Did we manage a shot on target in the second half?

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

27 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I like McGowan and Ballantyne, and they give you lots of what they give you, but neither seems to actually want the ball. Phillips/MacPherson probably help on the ball but are either actually good enough? For all the praise Phillips is still bad for loose passes.

Agree with you that in the majority of games it’ll probably have to be one of McGowan or Ballantyne, albeit tonight MacLean’s hands were somewhat tied. Neither MacPherson nor Phillips have shown enough consistency, in terms of fitness and performance levels, to suggest they’re the saviours we need them to be. Huge 10 days ahead to fill that, among others, hole. 

Just now, tree house tam said:

Special mention for Captain Fantastic tonight, what a fucking shitshow you produced.

I think I lost it when the keeper passed the ball to him and he just stood and left it for an imaginary teammate. 

Wtf is with this wrestling every time he goes into the attacking box as well. Pointless him going forward. Never gets in the end of anything and gives away a guaranteed foul. The one in the first half, the defender struggling facing his own goal, Gordon gives him a gift my grabbing him with both arms. 

54 minutes ago, Fife Saint said:

Feel for Macca, Clum's legacy really bearing fruit now.

This is true to a point, but that starting 11 is one that should (on paper at least) be beating Ayr. This squad has nowhere enough in it for the league, but in this group should have enough to beat the 2 sides we have lost to. That cannot be blamed on Davidson.

Club has to be pressed into getting bodies in the door over the next 3-4 days. May have to sacrifice something somewhere to tempt a couple of serious central defenders as we cannot conceivably go through a season with both, or either, Gordon and Considine playing each week. Ideal signing(s) would be an out and out CD and a right sided one that can play right back to, in the Dave MacKay mould. If Brown isn't fit enough for Hearts, he effectively needs replaced.

Despite all above, I'd say we have 15/16 proper first team players now and of those 2/3 are questionable as to whether they are premiership standard. So, 3/4 in the door of the right age and quality and I think we'd have enough about us this season to not go down. 

Liam Gordons confidence has been shot for about 2 years now. Think its that leads to him grappling all the time as hes scared of the criticism if he lets the striker take a touch.

He'll either come out of it and return to his previous levels or he'll continue to struggle and keep regressing. Ultimately its up to him now.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Liam Gordons confidence has been shot for about 2 years now. Think its that leads to him grappling all the time as hes scared of the criticism if he lets the striker take a touch.

He'll either come out of it and return to his previous levels or he'll continue to struggle and keep regressing. Ultimately its up to him now.

His confidence should have been sky high after the double season and being made captain.

Maybe it rattled him that nobody wanted to sign him.

2 hours ago, tree house tam said:

Special mention for Captain Fantastic tonight, what a fucking shitshow you produced.

Nice quote after game about Ayr's opener "yeah it's a nice delivery from the boy but don't know if we were too deep or whatever".     When "the boy" is your former team mate as of a few weeks ago then surely you have a rough idea where the balls coming and how good it might be.  Made it sound like some non league jobber had caught you out.