Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

48 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

Nah but I was on here saying that he should try his best to work with what he has until trying to implement a style a couple of windows in.

Tbf the players he has arent suited to sitting in and trying to shitfest points either, though. The squad needed overhauled this window regardless of who was in charge.

24 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Looks like a car crash in slow motion just now, do the board take the risk and throw more cash at it? 

Think they are, in their own way. Open meeting comments a few months ago suggested he was restricted to a squad of 25, while hes clearly now getting more than that.

I cant see him getting scope to spend fees or large wages now though, i imagine we simply cant afford it after the losses last season. Relegation would be more costly but we're back to the mindset of 20 years ago i think, where "speculate to accumulate" is seen as a worse gamble than going down and slowly working back up.

I can’t mind much of our last relegation, but I seem to remember a brutal injury crisis combined with other clubs spending money sent us down. 

very familiar. 

11 minutes ago, mizfit said:

I can’t mind much of our last relegation, but I seem to remember a brutal injury crisis combined with other clubs spending money sent us down. 

very familiar. 

Did we spend half a million quid on utter dross the season before?

Edited by Fife Saint

2 minutes ago, Fife Saint said:

That £500k on shite pisses me off the more I think about it. 

2 minutes ago, Fife Saint said:

Depends on how you view Paul Hartleys early Saints career, i suppose.

The board situation is a concern TBH, they are basically a group put together by Geoff to simply navigate the club through the required legal, financial and other company business.

They have all stepped down in the past and i don't think any of them really wanted to be back in this situation  Geoff included (And he is entitled and done his bit to deserve that ), 

We have no younger go ahead members on the board so it filters down from the top of who gives a f**k attitude! lots of little things are creeping into this over what was once a thriving direction of how to do the best from top downwards in all the activity's of the club.

Catering was a money spinner in previous years sadly the  standard has dropped considerably especially the funeral teas on offer!

Gus McPherson walking around with his hands in his pockets and a puss like doom gloom doesn't give anybody any upfit either !

We are fucked ,

1 hour ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

For me it matters very little at the moment what shape it is. I see people debating whether the current squad would be better in a back 3 etc. 

If nearly every time a cross comes into the box someone is allowed a free header on goal you're not going to win many games regardless of shape. 

Completely agree with you that the number of free headers County got in the box yesterday was one of the many huge concerns. But can’t agree the shape doesn’t affect this — shape is one of the few levers Maclean can use to tweak things at the minute. Adding an extra centre half (Considine) into the mix means an extra defender charged with keeping track of world class strikers like *checks notes* Simon Murray and Jordan White, since LG and the other guy were completely incapable of that yesterday.

And by dropping Ballantyne for a third CB you’d lose literally nothing further up the park.

8 minutes ago, Zamora Fan said:

Completely agree with you that the number of free headers County got in the box yesterday was one of the many huge concerns. But can’t agree the shape doesn’t affect this — shape is one of the few levers Maclean can use to tweak things at the minute. Adding an extra centre half (Considine) into the mix means an extra defender charged with keeping track of world class strikers like *checks notes* Simon Murray and Jordan White, since LG and the other guy were completely incapable of that yesterday.

And by dropping Ballantyne for a third CB you’d lose literally nothing further up the park.

Have you forgotten how much of a farce our 3 CBs were by the end of Davidsons reign? 

We were chucking away chances from simple long balls constantly, with Countys win at McDiarmid a perfect example, because the CBs couldnt communicate.

The issue isnt who plays where in defence, the issue is whos playing.

5 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

He looks completely out of his depth doing basic interviews, and while that might not be the biggest of his problems, it’s a pretty important part of being a manager.  

That said, Martindale can barely string a coherent sentence together but seems to do okay. 

You do sense MacLean will lose the rag with an interviewer and look a complete fool at some point.  There’s a deep fear and loathing within that man. 

Still better than having a fat racist being asked about your club, but point taken.  However, if he keeps us up his interview technique won't matter a f**k.  That's a massive task though and if he manages it, he should be in the running for manager of the year.  

I'm reserving full judgement until the transfer window closes,  but right now I'd bite your hand off for 11th place and a go at the DABs in the play off.

1 hour ago, The Marly said:

Still better than having a fat racist being asked about your club, but point taken.  However, if he keeps us up his interview technique won't matter a f**k.  That's a massive task though and if he manages it, he should be in the running for manager of the year.  

I'm reserving full judgement until the transfer window closes,  but right now I'd bite your hand off for 11th place and a go at the DABs in the play off.

I’d swap managers in a heartbeat, but I’ve made my stance clear on that and not going to bore anyone any more than I already do. 

11th place would be a great achievement, really. To me we're looking quite comfortably the worst team in the division and Dundee are the only club thats close.

Wouldnt fancy us in a play off but Championship sides seem to overthink them which gives you a chance.

Minimum expectation has to be going down fighting though. 

6 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

He's giving me Gary Teale vibes after we sacked Tommy Craig, after letting Danny Lennon go.

Have been thinking recently that St Johnstone 23/24 look uncannily like St Mirren 14/15:

1. Sacked manager, who from the outside, looked to have done a decent job.

2. Assistant manager appointed.

3. Club up for sale with no sign of a buyer.

4. A Chairman and board who don't really want to be there going through the motions.

Back in 2014, Craig was sacked in December, we were relegated, had 3 more poor managerial appointments by the old board and spent 3 seasons in the Championship. Our turnaround coincided with the change in club ownership.

2 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Have been thinking recently that St Johnstone 23/24 look uncannily like St Mirren 14/15:

1. Sacked manager, who from the outside, looked to have done a decent job.

And this is where I stopped reading

17 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

My main point was that we went downhill when the guys running the club didn't want to be there any more. Everything was stale and it transferred to the park. I think you're in that boat now.

So yeah, nae luck. Think you need the club to be sold pronto.

Geoff will be thinking the same, won't get anywhere near what he wants if the club is in the championship. 

agree with the general point you've made in your first post, but if you in any way paid attention to us since the cup double (and no harm to you if you haven't been) you'd see Davidson was miles out of his depth. Problem is, we gave him what was in essence a 4 year deal following the double success ( who wouldn't have?) and how do you go about sacking a manager who's achieved such astonishing levels of success at a club like ours? Even after two years of abject failure in just about every department, we still had pundits saying it was a terrible decision and some of our own fans throwing strops because he had been let go. The mess we're in this season has been foreseeable really ever since we won both cups, we rested on our laurels then panic signed far too many old, substandard players on long, expensive contracts to try and bail Davidson out. This is the penance for that now. Maclean has recruited 6 players, all of whom seem to be the right types for the long term future of the club, but really it's starting look like bandaging over a beheading.  Seems like 3 or 4 more are anticipated to be coming in, all need to be pretty much perfect and starting quality, otherwise I don't think we have enough currently here to even be competitive. 

Edited by Kyle