Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

9 hours ago, glenrothes 1884 saint said:

I’m not getting the hate for Mcpake, thought he looked quick,took his goal well, played in Benji,and worked hard, and back tracked on occasion to defend well too 🤷🏻‍♂️

IMO he's one of those players who flatters to deceive. He seemed to chase players down and get beat very easily, didn't really seem to beat anyone either. He did set up the chance, and score but I would say he was pretty ineffective. I would say that's two games I've seen him where it wasn't apparent that he was any better than the opposition, and that's tier 3 and tier 5 teams.

It's pre season so that can maybe be excused. But my expectation was we're playing a league 1 side, pro's in the premiership should be standing out against them. He wasn't the only one I would say, I thought Smith struggled, and Max seemed out of his depth. 

8 hours ago, derektaylor84 said:

I think I remember in the second half he tried to nutmeg somebody on the left side line about 18 yards out from our goal lost the ball and I think Arbroath got a chance from it. That said I could be wrong as often with friendly matches my attention can drift from the game due to all the subs coming and going. 

www.youtube.com/@DerekTaylor84

I remember that too,God forbid someone trying to be inventive,we’ll just go back to being boring again 🤷‍♂️

56 minutes ago, DundeeSaint said:

IMO he's one of those players who flatters to deceive. He seemed to chase players down and get beat very easily, didn't really seem to beat anyone either. He did set up the chance, and score but I would say he was pretty ineffective. I would say that's two games I've seen him where it wasn't apparent that he was any better than the opposition, and that's tier 3 and tier 5 teams.

It's pre season so that can maybe be excused. But my expectation was we're playing a league 1 side, pro's in the premiership should be standing out against them. He wasn't the only one I would say, I thought Smith struggled, and Max seemed out of his depth. 

Not one of us stood out in the least,so condemn us to relegation! It was about minutes in the legs 

So many missing at the weekend, players seem as fragile as they've ever been. No MacPherson,. Clark, Sprangler, Smith or Sanders. Ferguson obviously actually got injured last week. Sidibeh absent again.

How May can impact a game floating as opposed to leading the line highlighted over past week. Hopefully the management have noted that. Kimpioka will need to find a consistency this season, we can't have days like Saturday where he looks like he's just been introduced to a football.

Keltjens too right-footed if he's not going to have a player in front of him on left and we can't waste Carey for another season in the deep areas, if he is to play in the centre. If Keltjens won't fit on left in a WB system then Wright is almost the opposite, he needs space to attack and not an area crowded with out own players.

Is Kucheriavyi really going to be good enough to force his way into the team in the centre of midfield? Smith offers very little for me.

Have to be confident that Cameron will be good for us. Obviously Essel impressed. It wasn't Momo Sylla or Tommy Lovenkrands but real signs of promise, especially given his age.

Anything less than a win next weekend would be a new low.

5 minutes ago, Radford said:

So many missing at the weekend, players seem as fragile as they've ever been. No MacPherson,. Clark, Sprangler, Smith or Sanders. Ferguson obviously actually got injured last week. Sidibeh absent again.

How May can impact a game floating as opposed to leading the line highlighted over past week. Hopefully the management have noted that. Kimpioka will need to find a consistency this season, we can't have days like Saturday where he looks like he's just been introduced to a football.

Keltjens too right-footed if he's not going to have a player in front of him on left and we can't waste Carey for another season in the deep areas, if he is to play in the centre. If Keltjens won't fit on left in a WB system then Wright is almost the opposite, he needs space to attack and not an area crowded with out own players.

Is Kucheriavyi really going to be good enough to force his way into the team in the centre of midfield? Smith offers very little for me.

Have to be confident that Cameron will be good for us. Obviously Essel impressed. It wasn't Momo Sylla or Tommy Lovenkrands but real signs of promise, especially given his age.

Anything less than a win next weekend would be a new low.

Yep, that pretty much sums up what I saw. Don’t think the system suits us either. We don’t have the ball playing defenders, attacking wing backs, box to box midfielder or striker who can stretch the game and hold the ball in to get us up the pitch to make this system work. Maybe he’ll get these type of players in and be successful but early signs are not encouraging 

20 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Today or tomorrow for the announcement then? 

Tuesdays PA day isn't it?

10 hours ago, DundeeSaint said:

We're a Championship squad, IMO.

Like there's players who can play regular Premiership football with a structure around them and players better than them, but in a squad like this they aren't good enough to drag everyone to that level so as a group it's not up to it.

I seriously hope you end up with egg all over your face

So judgemental 

Window still open 

Players to gel

How can you tell 

I've watched saints for best part 57 year and never been or wanted to judge in July 

Such a miserable  person 

Rae 

Essel McLelland Cameron Raymond

Sprangler McPherson

Wright May Carey

Sidibeh

Can't see who stops that team tbh (until we lose to Brechin next week) 

31 minutes ago, THE FAT MAN said:

I seriously hope you end up with egg all over your face

So judgemental 

Window still open 

Players to gel

How can you tell 

I've watched saints for best part 57 year and never been or wanted to judge in July 

Such a miserable  person 

I'm commenting on the current squad, so aye the "window still being open" is kind of irrelevant.

It's good for you not to judge etc., but this is a forum for folk to talk shite about the club they support. I'm not really sure what you're expecting when you come on here?

37 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'm commenting on the current squad, so aye the "window still being open" is kind of irrelevant.

It's good for you not to judge etc., but this is a forum for folk to talk shite about the club they support. I'm not really sure what you're expecting when you come on here?

A bit of positivity perhaps 

6 minutes ago, THE FAT MAN said:

A bit of positivity perhaps 

I've been pretty positive tbh. Saying I don't think the squad is top flight standard isn't me trying to be negative, it's just stating what I think is the truth. We need a handful of quality players to come in to drag everything up.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

I've been pretty positive tbh. Saying I don't think the squad is top flight standard isn't me trying to be negative, it's just stating what I think is the truth. We need a handful of quality players to come in to drag everything up.

Aye but it's not final squad is it?

This is why I questioned,chritissed your we are relegation material quote as no one can until later in Window

Not July 

I'll be properly negative then, I fear it may be more than a handful as a lot of players you'd probably look at as starters are still either unknown or the jury's out on them. 

Also feel we need to improve quality in the middle of the park generally but not sure we have the squad spaces to do that. Giving permacrocks new/long contracts was a bit silly, especially McPherson who's always injured and incredibly inconsistent 

11 minutes ago, THE FAT MAN said:

Aye but it's not final squad is it?

This is why I questioned,chritissed your we are relegation material quote as no one can until later in Window

Not July 

Well aye, I never commented on the squad when the windows shut, so I've no idea why you're talking as if I did. I just think the squad as it is won't be good enough.