Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Reading the statement, whilst Mr Webb sets the correct tone initially, his contradiction at the end, staing 'not let ourselves get carried away' is disappointing.

The disciplinary action, whilst understandably being private and unlikely to be made public, very much sounds like a fine and carrying out some form of inclusion work.

The question is, had Mr Webb actively sought the strongest legal recourse, or did he take the decision to go down this route all along?

It does not appear, from the statement, that suspension or transfer listing will take place so if the club genuinely believes that MacPherson can walk back into the squad, then there will be a backlash from supporters. Surely Mr Webb recognises that MacPherson cannot have a future at the club. Likewise MacPherson should also realise he has no future at the club.

This decision, IMO, will not resolve the issue, and instead will fester and have a negative impact on the team over the coming months.

21 minutes ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

Nah. f**k off Macpherson. You knew exactly what you were retweeting, confirmed by your girlfriends actions on the banter page.

What would irk me is that MacPerson doesn’t actually seem to grasp that the video attacks communities and people for not being white, straight males.  And actually puts safety at risk.  

His very obviously lawyer-written “apology” says he sees the error of his ways, but it’s clear that he doesn’t. 

Also, that shouldn’t be addressed merely to St Johnstone fans.  That’s the whole point.  

Final edit: how on Earth is retweeting Tommy Robinson not intending to offend anyone? 

I’m kind of fuming on your behalf, to be honest.  

Edited by Savage Henry

Not sure that statement matches the contents of the email I received at all.

If this was the response to Cammy retweeting Tommy Robinson at a normal time, I'd agree it is a good response, but that's not what happened here.

To be clear, Cammy McPherson declared support for a person wanted under terrorism offences, while he was leading the incitement of riots and attempted murder of non white non English people across England.

I don't care how sorry Cammy is. I don't want to be associated with a club that tolerates such views. 

Add me to the list disappointed at that. You've not made any point whatsoever there to discourage it. Just a wee slap on the wrist, write an apology for the player, and then hope it blows over.

If he's in the squad tomorrow then it's even worse.

There wasn't much chance of winning from this, but they've somehow managed to piss off virtually everyone here apart somehow.

Just now, PSJ.84 said:

Can see why. Those who need to see it, will likely see it. 

Even though I do get what you mean, and absolutely see the benefit of keeping it off the cesspool that is Twitter, wankstain Grimes was spreading that Cammy had lost his career. 

Probably not worth putting it on Twitter to correct him though, that lot never, ever, ever, ever accept they are wrong.

If I remember correctly, the last time the club issued a statement at close of play on a Friday was the Rangers ticket debacle and we all know how that turned out. They say those who don’t learn from history are doomed to repeat it. How many fans are we going to lose over this 

4 minutes ago, Nat King Goals said:

Reading the statement, whilst Mr Webb sets the correct tone initially, his contradiction at the end, staing 'not let ourselves get carried away' is disappointing.

The disciplinary action, whilst understandably being private and unlikely to be made public, very much sounds like a fine and carrying out some form of inclusion work.

The question is, had Mr Webb actively sought the strongest legal recourse, or did he take the decision to go down this route all along?

It does not appear, from the statement, that suspension or transfer listing will take place so if the club genuinely believes that MacPherson can walk back into the squad, then there will be a backlash from supporters. Surely Mr Webb recognises that MacPherson cannot have a future at the club. Likewise MacPherson should also realise he has no future at the club.

This decision, IMO, will not resolve the issue, and instead will fester and have a negative impact on the team over the coming months.

My reading is that under the current code of conduct the club weren't able to sack him so are doing everything else within the current code. The line about the code of conduct being strengthened though is interesting. Assuming thats whats saved Macpherson this week, then next time any player steps out of line they'll be for the high jump. 

Given he couldn't be sacked not sure what else the club can do - we don't know what other actions are open to the club. Probably every chance he'll be offloaded asap (especially if he plays Sunday and sees what the Saints support think of him). 

As for his apology not sure what to think - we all know he's not the smartest of people. Maybe it will be a wake up call for him - but he needs to maybe have a word with his girlfriend about her comments, before shes got a boyfriend on the dole. 

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

There wasn't much chance of winning from this, but they've somehow managed to piss off virtually everyone here apart somehow.

In saying that, the overall view from Saints fans on Twitter seems to be delighted with how it's played out so *shrugs*

Just now, templeofsaints said:

Maybe it will be a wake up call for him

He turns 26 in a few months, he not a young naive laddie.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

In saying that, the overall view from Saints fans on Twitter seems to be delighted with how it's played out so *shrugs*

Dont think anyone's "delighted". Just that the club have made as good a statement as they could. Don't think Macpherson will be on the list of contract renewals come next summer though

2 minutes ago, templeofsaints said:

Probably every chance he'll be offloaded asap (especially if he plays Sunday and sees what the Saints support think of him). 

I wish I shared your optimism.

If it gets announced before the end of August that he has a new club, that would 100% satisfy me despite my significant concerns about the statement itself. However, that is not my expectation at all from the tone of the statement.

Edited by FrankChickens1

3 minutes ago, templeofsaints said:

Don't think Macpherson will be on the list of contract renewals come next summer though

I don't think there's anything to suggest this affects his St Johnstone career in the slightest, tbh. They've obviously bought the excuse he's told them and the statement is nothing more than a "move on and back him or you're the problem" to the support.

6 minutes ago, templeofsaints said:

My reading is that under the current code of conduct the club weren't able to sack him so are doing everything else within the current code. The line about the code of conduct being strengthened though is interesting. Assuming thats whats saved Macpherson this week, then next time any player steps out of line they'll be for the high jump. 

Given he couldn't be sacked not sure what else the club can do - we don't know what other actions are open to the club. Probably every chance he'll be offloaded asap 

I suspect paragraph one is correct. 

paragraph 2 on the other hand, who knows. Maybe hell realise he’s been a fool and widen up, I doubt it. 

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

and the statement is nothing more than a "move on and back him or you're the problem" to the support.

Again the last time they did this was the Rangers ticket debacle. How did that turn out for them?

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

I don't think there's anything to suggest this affects his St Johnstone career in the slightest, tbh. They've obviously bought the excuse he's told them and the statement is nothing more than a "move on and back him or you're the problem" to the support.

We'll see if he gets picked at the weekend.  I think the statement is more - the code of conduct being strengthened if a big step forward

"we have strengthened the rules further to ensure that no player is empowered to distract the club and antagonise any of our supporters, whether or not such offense is intentional."

Reading between the lines I think that means they couldn't punt him based on the current code so their hands were tied but its effectvely a final warning to all the players. Also if Cammy is subject to discipline that means it will be under the current code of conduct rules - obviously that doesnt stretch to a sacking but could mean suspension or a heavy fine - I don't think the club are taking this lightly in the slightest.