Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Just now, mizfit said:

Wonder how much of the mashed potato drinkers reaction to the club has made them cautious. 

The Courier should 100% never have released that report. The consequences of doing so were predictable and inevitable. 

2 minutes ago, FrankChickens1 said:

I get your point, but I'm not sure who you're making it to.  I don't think idolizing Cammy Macpherson has been anyone's mistake here.

But I was reliably informed that he was a "promising young player" 🙃.

Expecting people that regularly leave school at the first available opportunity having coasted through the first couple of years at secondary probably being a wee shite cause they know they're signing for a football team and as such don't care and think they don't need any schooling to be upstanding people and worth idolising is where we all fall down tbf.

Football. It's something else, eh?

Ach well, if he continues to play it’s something to shout about eh?

I’d still be surpised if we see him in the team again. I think the club have been hamstrung by whatever is written into their current code of conduct as Webb effectively says in the statement. 

22 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

The mad right wingers would attack them anyway, and will continue to drag the clubs name through the mud for months.

This avoids making him a martyr, which is what the savage right (and probably the player himself) wanted. 

11 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Believe me you won't be the one, you'd be one of many.

Away supports will join in too.  It’s going to be very uncomfortable for the guy.  Good. 

Trouble with not playing him then releasing him is that it’s obviously constructive dismissal.  

1 minute ago, Savage Henry said:

Trouble with not playing him then releasing him is that it’s obviously constructive dismissal.  

It shouldn't do as he's on a fixed term contract. In any case, if constructive dismissal was upheld at tribunal he'd only be entitled to what remained of his contract, so would make no difference to letting him rot in the reserves.

Afraid I think he'll be starting Sunday. 

Yeah, I’m more disappointed with the wording of the statement rather than the outcome of the situation. However, in the current climate, I suppose there’s a chance that Adam Webb has thought it sensible to be extremely tactful in the way that he has presented things. We maybe won’t know what the statement actually implies or what the outcome actually is until a few more weeks pass by…

One thing is certain: if Webb truly hopes to see unity on and off the pitch throughout this season, that won’t be possible unless Cammy MacPherson doesn’t play for St Johnstone again.

I didn’t expect him to be sacked, I’d be lying if I didn’t say I wanted him to be, but I honestly thought that the club would be clearer and more vocal in their condemnation of what’s happened.

As others have said the timing and context of what he’s done makes it so much more significant than “just a retweet.” There are thousands of people in our communities who are scared for their lives because of race riots being carried out on our streets, fueled in part by Tommy Robinson. Retweeting some of his slanderous propaganda in the midst of that climate is disgusting.

Macpherson is not a child, he’s not from some provincial backwater, he’s no doubt lived alongside and certainly worked with people of all sorts of creeds and races, he knows what he was doing.

It’s not even the direct footballer as role model situation, it’s the insidiousness of it that I find so upsetting. There will be racists emboldened by this “dealt with and move on” stance the club have taken.

I’d have liked the club as an institution within the community to have taken a bold stance and said enough is enough, this will not be tolerated and made it clear he will not be representing us again. Don’t have to sack him, they could have made it clear he’s transfer listed or similar.

Edited by gingermunkie

On 08/08/2024 at 18:00, RandomGuy. said:

Was his finger just resting on the retweet button?

A couple of years ago you could’ve got away with that (it’s easy to “like” things in error still on X today) but to retweet you need to click at least twice.

9 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Expecting people that regularly leave school at the first available opportunity having coasted through the first couple of years at secondary probably being a wee shite cause they know they're signing for a football team and as such don't care and think they don't need any schooling to be upstanding people and worth idolising is where we all fall down tbf.

Football. It's something else, eh?

Until they're revealed to be a scumbag (or a legend) it's probably just best to plead ignorance as to what footballers* are like as people and just focus on their abilities as a player. MacPherson's an idiot for a) having completely regressive views, and b) letting the world that he has them. There will be plenty of players out there who are just as guilty of A without crossing over into B, so hopefully MacPherson's "research" has taught him to avoid being racist as opposed to not getting caught.

"I would like to start by apologising for reposting a film that appeared on my X account."

Interesting that it "appeared" on his account.

It's never "appeared" on mine 🤔

Quite a fair few fans I’ve spoken to are either planning to make his life miserable, or boycott. 

I think he’s not playing anytime time soon.