Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

41 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:
46 minutes ago, Lang Toon Saintee said:
I wonder how much Tommy's announcement that he was going to speak to McGowan forced cash strapped Dundee to increase his  contract offer by.It must have been quite a bit seeing that it was done so quickly....Nice one TW emoji38.png

Aye that fiver we got for Hendry I reckon got us the deal for the convict

Hemorrhaging away your windfall by giving improved contracts and running at a loss...I wonder how much of it is left now ?? You must admit that contract was signed pretty quickly.I wonder if includes a get out clause if you are relegated..Just imagine being saddled with that fat new contract in the championship..

2 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

G_Mans words, not mine m9.

4 hours ago, ali_91 said:

Only aggressive towards homophobes and racists G_Man my man. You're neither so we will get on. ;)

I come in peace and I'm asking a question that's genuinely not a wind-up attempt. I pre-face my question by saying that, because this could easily be taken as a 'smug' question. Forgetting your opinions of Paul McGowan - I think it's understandable a lot of you think you've probably dodged a bullet after the success of Paul Paton (Although comparing Paton's ability to McGowan's is mintertastic) and the fact he's getting older - however, it must be seen as a bit of a slap in the puss that one day your normally reliable journalists report that McGowan is on St Johnstone's radar. Then rumour comes out that he's rejected a deal from Dundee. Then Tommy confirms he's made an approach to speak to him. Then less than 24 hours later, he's signed a new deal with us.

Bullet dodged - maybe. Made Tommy look a bit silly though, don't you think? I wonder if it had anything to do with the spat after you cuffed us? (On either side). I reckon there's more to this that we, the average fans will never find out about.

11 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I come in peace and I'm asking a question that's genuinely not a wind-up attempt. I pre-face my question by saying that, because this could easily be taken as a 'smug' question. Forgetting your opinions of Paul McGowan - I think it's understandable a lot of you think you've probably dodged a bullet after the success of Paul Paton (Although comparing Paton's ability to McGowan's is mintertastic) and the fact he's getting older - however, it must be seen as a bit of a slap in the puss that one day your normally reliable journalists report that McGowan is on St Johnstone's radar. Then rumour comes out that he's rejected a deal from Dundee. Then Tommy confirms he's made an approach to speak to him. Then less than 24 hours later, he's signed a new deal with us.

Bullet dodged - maybe. Made Tommy look a bit silly though, don't you think? I wonder if it had anything to do with the spat after you cuffed us? (On either side). I reckon there's more to this that we, the average fans will never find out about.

This is just pure rumour, but its looked like TW has been gullible enough to fall for stories from agents before (Brian Graham strung him along for months after he'd already signed a deal with County/Dow told him he'd sign and then used TWs interest in him to get a better deal elsewhere/Rory McKenzie seems to be doing the same at Killie), so theres every chance McGowan hasn't been happy with Dundees offer, TW has been interested for over a year, so McGowans agent has gone to TW to tell him hes rejected Dundees offer and wants to talk, TW has been honest when asked about transfer targets, probably wanting to GIRUY McCann, and Dundee have offered McGowan a better deal to stave off losing him to a team who pumped them just weeks ago.

Dundee fans will be along in a minute to tell me how much shite that is, probably some Saints fans too, but it seems to be the most logical run of events to me. Those journalists and TW have a good relationship so theres no lies from their end of things, its all, in their mind when it was printed, factual.

This is just pure rumour, but its looked like TW has been gullible enough to fall for stories from agents before (Brian Graham strung him along for months after he'd already signed a deal with County/Dow told him he'd sign and then used TWs interest in him to get a better deal elsewhere/Rory McKenzie seems to be doing the same at Killie), so theres every chance McGowan hasn't been happy with Dundees offer, TW has been interested for over a year, so McGowans agent has gone to TW to tell him hes rejected Dundees offer and wants to talk, TW has been honest when asked about transfer targets, probably wanting to GIRUY McCann, and Dundee have offered McGowan a better deal to stave off losing him to a team who pumped them just weeks ago.
Dundee fans will be along in a minute to tell me how much shite that is, probably some Saints fans too, but it seems to be the most logical run of events to me. Those journalists and TW have a good relationship so theres no lies from their end of things, its all, in their mind when it was printed, factual.

No disrespect but TW would have had to have been gullible to the point of idiocy to think McGowan would leave us unless there was a complete breakdown in relationship with McCann. He's extremely close with the club and by that, I don't just mean the usual he loves Dundee nonsense. I mean, he credits our board as standing by him during the toughest period in his life and has came out and made that public knowledge.

My take on it was that TW heard that McGowan was available. Thought it was a perfect opportunity to gain one over on Dundee/McCann AND gain a very good player, McGowan signed on again at Dens as expected and probably, at most, had a phone call with TW.

Just now, Ludo*1 said:

No disrespect but TW would have had to have been gullible to the point of idiocy to think McGowan would leave us unless there was a complete breakdown in relationship with McCann. He's extremely close with the club and by that, I don't just mean the usual he loves Dundee nonsense. I mean, he credits our board as standing by him during the toughest period in his life and has came out and made that public knowledge.

My take on it was that TW heard that McGowan was available. Thought it was a perfect opportunity to gain one over on Dundee/McCann AND gain a very good player, McGowan signed on again at Dens as expected and probably, at most, had a phone call with TW.

It wouldn't be a huge leap to believe McCann had fallen out with one of his players.

As you say, we'll probably never know the truth. TW apparently tried to sign McGowan in 2016 so its not something he's just randomly decided to do.

My best guess would be he was offered drastically reduced terms at Dens and naturally he decided to test the water and decline. Tommy W then goes baw deep with an offer roughly double what Dundee have offered and briefs his tame journo it’s a done deal. Gowser, horrified at the mere thought of moving to the Steading, realises his makes and begs NM to put the paltry dark blue offer back on the table. NM tells him there’s a ‘grass tax’ and cuts the offer by 20% and demands primo nocta over his first born daughter. An extremely proud Gowser signs the new reduced contract with this new clause as quickly as is possible.

That’s what I heard anyway.

Tommy Wright doesn't base his transfer policy on getting one over a manager from a team that don't even compete on our level ffs. What a ridiculous take to have on it. Saints were interested in McGowan because TW thought he'd enhance our squad, he decided to stay at Dens on the higher wages, nothing more, nothing less.

Sound m8

Tommy isn't stupid. If anyone thinks McGowan was a top target then they seriously need to have a look at themselves. There was a chance to speak to the boy and to infuriate McCann, what's not to like?  I have heard we do have a serious target in the Premiership though and he is a midfielder who is not at Dundee.

Tommy isn't stupid. If anyone thinks McGowan was a top target then they seriously need to have a look at themselves. There was a chance to speak to the boy and to infuriate McCann, what's not to like?  I have heard we do have a serious target in the Premiership though and he is a midfielder who is not at Dundee.

I’ve had a serious look, still damn handsome, still think the grass was desperate to sign Gowser. Is there a stage 2 in the denial process?

It's not the first time an agent has used the press to get a better deal for his player.  No big deal.  On his performances against us I was glad Wright expressed an interest in an available player that would enhance our squad, would have been disappointed if he didn't. 

We don't really have the finances to be signing anyone to 'wind up' an opposition manager. Apart from Michael Coulson maybe!

I don't look at this as any different from expressing an interest in an available player from any other club in the league, its just Dundee fans are making a bigger deal out of it as if they're trying to stoke up some kind of faux rivalry between us. 

Stick to your rivalry with Accies, they're more your level. :)

Paulo you clearly don’t visit the Dundee thread very regularly because if you did you’d see the plethora of Saints fans, in particular Random Guy, Tree House Tam and some stroker called Ali, spend half their life stoking up faux rivalry.

22 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

Paulo you clearly don’t visit the Dundee thread very regularly because if you did you’d see the plethora of Saints fans, in particular Random Guy, Tree House Tam and some stroker called Ali, spend half their life stoking up faux rivalry.

It's just a case of you being incredibly dense and easy to wind up, tbh. 

2 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

It's not the first time an agent has used the press to get a better deal for his player.  No big deal.  On his performances against us I was glad Wright expressed an interest in an available player that would enhance our squad, would have been disappointed if he didn't. 

Been going on for years: I remember Alan Main being linked with German clubs  just before he signed a new contract with Saints. The clause 'English Championships clubs have been tracking [x]' seems to be a sure sign of an agent-supplied story.

Still, in this case, I'm not sure though Wright should be expressing an interest in players, especially when they're at another club.  And he's been so vocal in his interest in so many ordinary  players – Graham, Dow, McGowan, McKenzie – that the club look begins to look amateurish and parsimonious when they can't actually get them to McDiarmid.

Maybe I'm underestimating Tommy, though, and that's the exact message he wants to convey.