Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

2 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

5abcdc07eaac7_tenor(6).gif.2806942cd9ac65f7c36f833635eb6922.gif

He's younger than Chris Kane.. 

Not sure where fits though. Next season will be Kane and McMillan for sure. You'd like another new face (Schalk would be perfect), and that leaves you with 36yo MacLean, or 23yo Johnstone. No doubt MacLean would get the deal, but if Johnstone was pm half his wages I'd be tempted. 

What is the harm in making players wait? There are 7 games left (nearly 20% of whole season) so I'd be using them to assess the squad. If players want to take an offer from elsewhere then good luck to them; they aren't in the same bargaining position as previous years. There is a lot of flip-flopping going on. If Alston plays poorly on Saturday, folk will be wanting him released again. Assess the season as a whole come its end and make judgements then.

Edited by Radford

2 minutes ago, Radford said:

What is the harm in making players wait? There are 7 games left (nearly 20% of whole season) so I'd be using them to assess the squad. If players want to take an offer from elsewhere then good luck to them; they aren't in the same bargaining position as previous years. There is a lot of flip-flopping going on. If Alston plays poorly on Saturday, folk will be wanting him released again. Assess the season as a whole come its end and make judgements then.

You'd assume we'd be looking at PCAs elsewhere though. Players at clubs who maybe won't be available by the time you've decided who's staying and who's going. 

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

He's younger than Chris Kane.. 

Not sure where fits though. Next season will be Kane and McMillan for sure. You'd like another new face (Schalk would be perfect), and that leaves you with 36yo MacLean, or 23yo Johnstone. No doubt MacLean would get the deal, but if Johnstone was pm half his wages I'd be tempted. 

Would you be happy to go with Kane , Shalk, McMillan and Hendry for next season?

Johnstone is a Morton level striker.

Just now, tree house tam said:

Would you be happy to go with Kane , Shalk, McMillan and Hendry for next season?

Johnstone is a Morton level striker.

Potentially, if we played three in behind a lone striker for the most part, and those three actually contributed. Johnstone would be a fourth choice striker for me if we had Kane, Schalk and McMillan, if his wages reflect that more than MacLeans then there's a huge decision to make there, as we need quality on the wings and that'll cost, meaning we'll have to cut back elsewhere. All based on Johnstone accepting a fourth choice wage. 

McMillan whilst a goal scorer based on his record is totally untested at this level. He looked promising in what we saw, but he could be poor at this level (I hope not!). Kane isn’t going to score 20 a season and Hendry is young and rough. Johnstone has had games this season and shown despite a nice touch, he’s an absolute haddy who won’t score goals. He’s the one who’s got to get punted and hope we can bring in another senior striker who’ll score goals. I wouldn’t be averse to Hendry going out on loan ala Kane and MacLean being kept on as a part time player/ coach.

Maybe just me but I don't reckon Johnstone is that bad. He's got a decent first touch and is good with his head, plenty of scope to improve aswell. 

The worrying alternative would be a Morgan/Fallon/Iwelumo scenario where they genuinely contribute nothing. 

Id imagine his wage would be decent though, so I'd punt him if he wanted anything other than peanuts. 

6 minutes ago, Radford said:

What is the harm in making players wait? There are 7 games left (nearly 20% of whole season) so I'd be using them to assess the squad. If players want to take an offer from elsewhere then good luck to them; they aren't in the same bargaining position as previous years. There is a lot of flip-flopping going on. If Alston plays poorly on Saturday, folk will be wanting him released again. Assess the season as a whole come it's end and make judgements then.

That's the manager's job and prerogative. I really don't see the harm in supporters of the club discussing it on a fans forum though, like we have done each year these forums have existed. Usually by now all the contracts are well on their way to being completed with one or two left to the end and maybe one or two others who are still trying to win a new one. We've got just under half the first team squad out of contract in 8 weeks time. If Wright doesn't have inclinations on the future of the out of contract players by  now and indeed targets in mind to replace those leaving then that would be concerning.

I just think it's a bit futile as the opinions are changing on a weekly basis given the type of season we've had. Should you make the list after last night, or after the game at Fir Park? I don't think there are too many that have completely earned their new deal yet. There is an argument that it'll help us finish the season strongly too if they are playing for their futures. Fair bit of difference financially between finishing even 7th or 9th.

16 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Johnstone shouldn't be getting offered a 4th choice wage.  The c**t shouldn't be at Saints in the first place. 

Agreed..Over the years we keep hearing that we need a striker who will give another option,who will offer something different..What that means in reality is that we sign a Big Haddie who offered little or nothing..Our most successful time was when we had MacLean and May playing together..I think that there is a lot of potential in Hendry and there should be a place in the squad for him I would not be averse to going with him,Kane, and McMillan with Macca on a one year reduced terms contract similar to Manus,as back up .or let him go and replace him with a like for like type. 

I don’t even know what our best formation is. If we continue to try this three at the back you could actually play -

Mannus/Clark

Shaugnessey
Anderson
Kerr/Gordon

Foster/Comrie/Alston
Easton/Tanser

Davidson
Millar/Craig/Wotherspoon

Scougall/Williams

Kane
MacLean/McMillan

I’m personally not a fan of the formation, but it probably works with the players we have. That’s also missing out a few guys who have played this season too.

I’m with Radford, have them shiting themselves about their future, make them play for the contract and then ask why they don’t do it every week.

5 minutes ago, Radford said:

Fair bit of difference financially between finishing even 7th or 9th.

Over the last few years we've been reluctant to experiment with youngsters in the closing stages of the season for good reason: we've been chasing Europe. But I think we've seen the cost of that this year. Our team, for want of a better word, has been stale.

I don't think Tommy will do it, but I'd love it if as soon as we're mathematically safe we gave a solid run to a few of the youngsters, particularly Comrie (who I thought was doing ok until his injury), Gordon (who hasn't  done much wrong any time he's played) and MacLean in midfield. Their performances might affect contract discussions with others.

As contract renewals, Davidson is a clear priority, but I'm ambivalent about the rest. Millar and Mannus have been two of our better players when they've played, but if we're to get better quality this summer,  they're the sort of sacrifices that might have to be made to balance the budget. They'll both be among our highest earners; we have an excellent replacement for Mannus, and its a fair bet Tommy will look to strengthen our midfield anyway (only because he tries it every year).

For all I'm still unconvinced about Anderson as automatic pick, he's got plenty years left and is worth a new deal. But I wouldn't be offering MacLean a contract. If he was 36 and playing out of his skin I couldn't argue, but every sign points to a reducing influence, and any upturn in his form recently might be down to the energy Kane has offered. I do feel that while Macca is the team, Tommy's signing policy is swayed to  accommodate him, and that's holding us back