Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Misquoted or not, to explicitly state he's interested in it rather than just the polite usual manager talk is downright disrespectful to your club.
For example, if Hartley was linked to Celtic, of course I'd expect him to be interested. Doesn't mean he'd give the media ammo to paint him in that sort of light though. Surely Wright has had some form of media training if that is indeed the case as you say?

Well yes, it's disappointing to hear him so flatly say he'd happily speak to them, but it's not a surprise. He's been speaking about leaving us for a bigger job for the past year or so.

Again though, I won't judge him until after the full interview is on Sportsound today. From what I've heard the media here can happily bombard you with the same question, worded in different ways, for a whole interview in the hope you give them an answer they can use.

If he has openly, off his own back, "whored" himself for it then it'll be disappointing, but not a shock. He's clearly not getting much interest in the Championship so it's likely the biggest budget he'd get to work with. I don't think he should take it, as Celtic are so far ahead, and the fans are utterly deluded ("second place is no different from finishing last" has been mentioned a lot) that the new manager is on a hiding to nothing.

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Well yes, it's disappointing to hear him so flatly say he'd happily speak to them, but it's not a surprise. He's been speaking about leaving us for a bigger job for the past year or so.

Again though, I won't judge him until after the full interview is on Sportsound today. From what I've heard the media here can happily bombard you with the same question, worded in different ways, for a whole interview in the hope you give them an answer they can use.

If he has openly, off his own back, "whored" himself for it then it'll be disappointing, but not a shock. He's clearly not getting much interest in the Championship so it's likely the biggest budget he'd get to work with. I don't think he should take it, as Celtic are so far ahead, and the fans are utterly deluded ("second place is no different from finishing last" has been mentioned a lot) that the new manager is on a hiding to nothing.

If there is credence to his comments, then his comments around the time United were sniffing about seem a bit more 'interesting'. It doesn't look like it'd take much of a 'step up' in terms of club stature to tempt him.

If there is credence to his comments, then his comments around the time United were sniffing about seem a bit more 'interesting'. It doesn't look like it'd take much of a 'step up' in terms of club stature to tempt him.

The United interest ended when he signed a bumper new contract and got the budget increased...

Hes currently seeing a star player not getting re-signed due to budget matters, which might also see him struggle to bring in the "two or three" players he seemingly wants....

Nothing with TW is ever clear cut, it's frustrating as hell but he's shown before that he'll happily use the media if he needs to. Until the full interview is out, then it's all just speculation as we don't know the tone of how he went about it.

Putting aside the fact that Tommy Wright would probably pay Rangers to get the job, it'd be hard to even start guessing by just how much his salary would go up. You'd certainly imagine his first year there would see him earn more than he's done in his 5 years in Perth.

Money isn't the issue here though, he wants to manage Rangers. He won't get the opportunity though. Can't remember if it was here or elsewhere that someone said he'll be looking to leave before he gets pushed but he has a lot of credit in the bank at Saints. I struggle to see where the move to England is coming from and would be more worried if one of the big non-Glasgow clubs was looking to fill a vacancy but then he's already been overlooked for the Edinburgh jobs, Aberdeen fans don't like him and United are rotten. There are other bigger clubs but not with the potential to achieve any more than he's done at Saints in the near future.

I also think he's more content at Saints and living locally than he gives away because he doesn't want to appear unambitious. The fact is though that he isn't desirous like the younger trio before him were. If he carries on his good work at Saints, getting the most out of a group of players that aren't miles ahead of their peers and creating a team that is hard to beat when faced with better opposition, you'd have to imagine he'll be high on the list of candidates for the Northern Ireland job when O'Neill leaves. I think that could be his route out of Saints.

I don't know what's more embarrassing, Tommy's public displays of effection for the ***s job or Ludo wanking himself into a stupor over it. It's a fucking disgrace he's even being asked about it anyway. It's almost as if we're going to be playing them soon. Oh...

Said it on Twitter but I'll repeat on here. Can't fathom and said as much pre match why we changed our back 4 and more significantly our CH pairing to basically accommodate Scobbie. Whilst I've nothing against Foster playing right mid it says ALOT about his lack of confidence in Craig and Michael when he's willing to change our back 4 (our main strength) just to not play them. It didn't work today and his selection cost us.

I think he wanted to avoid playing Millar and Paton together. In hindsight, that would surely have been preferable to the shambles we were served up. Coulson, aside from probably not being very good, won't be fit enough to start. I was surprised he even bothered with Thomson, although the game was crying out for him 10 minutes earlier with the balls Paton was pinging right.

The squad was bare bones today but that just made it even more important that TW got it right and he didn't. The change of shape was a big shift, even more so when we didn't train on Thursday, a big day for weekend preparation.

Yeah. If he doesn't trust them which he clearly doesn't, then we need some players who can play the role of the impact winger come the summer. I appreciate the injuries we have but it just seemed madness to shoehorn Scobbie in and push Joe wide today. Midge having a seriously off day didn't help matters.

I don't know what's more embarrassing, Tommy's public displays of effection for the ***s job or Ludo wanking himself into a stupor over it. It's a fucking disgrace he's even being asked about it anyway. It's almost as if we're going to be playing them soon. Oh...

Yes, because that's what happened.

Thought Millar was caught more in possession today than I can ever remember. A symptom of the unfamiliarity of the system. Wotherspoon and Alston looked lost as well. It's rare that you can't name a single player who at least reached average but today would be such an occasion.

Thought Millar was caught more in possession today than I can ever remember. A symptom of the unfamiliarity of the system. Wotherspoon and Alston looked lost as well. It's rare that you can't name a single player who at least reached average but today would be such an occasion.

Tommy singled out Joe, Foster and Paton as the only three who reached pass marks. Tbf he was rightly scathing post match.

17 minutes ago, The Woolshed said:

Tommy singled out Joe, Foster and Paton as the only three who reached pass marks. Tbf he was rightly scathing post match.

His comments were strong but a complete gloss over of the system he asked them to play, although he's no different from other managers in that respect. He's right and I think folk have acknowledged that the basics were poor but we looked so uncomfortable too and he must've seen that.

I'd just about excuse Paton but Foster and especially Shaughnessy deserve bunched in with the rest.

Biggest problem for me, is the fact we've played an unfamiliar formation despite not being able to train in the days beforehand, seems a bit daft.