Jimmy Bone

Echo what's been said - absolute w****r for refusing to play Arthur in an end of season dead rubber at Firhill, which was the big mans last ever squad appearance. He's either stupid for not realising this was important or, more likely, an egotistical wankstain who chose to f**k off a club legend for the benefit of his own ego.

We'd have won 3-1 in '71 anyway. f**k him.

Sent from my iPhone using Pie & Bovril

Probably the reason I'm not so bothered about the Kenny Arthur thing is because I outright refuse to call him a 'club legend'.

No, not a club legend - but a loyal servant who deserved a lot more than he got from Bone.

Arthur maybe wasn't a legend at the same level of the likes of Archibald or Rough but he was still significant.

He had made 250 appearances for the club, he was a part of the Save the Jags squad, and the club and supporters had gone to the trouble of making a big deal of his testimonial year.

Out of spite Bone didn't want to even give the guy 10 minutes in his final game for the club.

He's a bawsack of a man.

My father had taken me to a few games previously, but the first time I went to Firhill on my own was against Hearts - Thistle won 5-1 with Jimmy Bone scoring a hat-track.

He was brought back into the team for a crucial promotion game against East Fife and scored a hat-trick in a 4-0 victory. 

His partnership with Frank Coulston was probably the special factor in Thistle's League Cup winning side - Coulston & Bone destroyed defences that season...4-1 against Celtic, 5-1 against St Johnstone and 8-3 against Motherwell with Jimmy Bone scoring in all these games.

The Thistle Board repeatedly stated that they would repay the fan's loyalty and would not break up that team...then sold Bone for a derisory £30,000 to Norwich.

E for B and Jimmy Bone was the regular chant...E for B and Be Your Best was the Egg Marketing Board advertising slogan at the time. He was a popular player and consistent goalscorer and although he played for several clubs, he always said he had a particular affection for Thistle.

However, his reputation as a coach and manager was of someone who was neither admirable or likeable and he ended back at Firhill as Assistant to Dick "The Dick" Campbell at just about the lowest ebb in the Club's History. His failure to give Kenny Arthur the chance to say farewell to the fans in the last game of the season was despicable...though I'm sure Kenny said later that Bone was the better of the management team which says even less for Campbell.

He brought John Robertson on during his time at Hearts and scored the winning goal, with a header when he seemed to hover in the air, in a 3-2 win over Hibs in the first derby in years in 1983.

Only good memories of him.

Robbo rates Jimmy Bone as one of the biggest influences on his career - if Jimmy felt Robbo was getting a wee bit big for his boots, he'd send him out to the shops to get him a kit-kat.

Archived