The East Stirlingshire Thread

craigiemack

The South Challenge Cup draw was tonight, and Shire have got a first round bye, and then a tie against either Sauchie or Crossgates Primrose. 

When I was looking at the potential opponents I thought Sauchie would be a decent one - I'd rather it was away, but whichever one of the two is more exciting than third game against a LL opponent. 

Good start to pre season with a 1-0 win over Clydebank. My wee brother was there and said he was impressed by our performance. Made some very good signings so optimistic for a decent finish this season.

Jamie Penker was briefly at the BU's last season in a "try before you buy" situation.   

At the time the BU's were not scoring and Penker  was supposed to be a finisher.  It never really clicked for him and he went back to Spartans with the BU's keeping their cash in the sporran.

It may be that his lack of game time at Spartans affected his BU performances ....... but when he was at the BU's I never got the impression that he was giving 90% never mind 100%.

8 hours ago, Deanburn Dave said:

Jamie Penker was briefly at the BU's last season in a "try before you buy" situation.   

At the time the BU's were not scoring and Penker  was supposed to be a finisher.  It never really clicked for him and he went back to Spartans with the BU's keeping their cash in the sporran.

It may be that his lack of game time at Spartans affected his BU performances ....... but when he was at the BU's I never got the impression that he was giving 90% never mind 100%.

Yeah, I did have a look to see how he got on at Bo'ness as it occurred to me he doesn't seem to have played regularly in a while, Spartans having had a pretty stacked attacking lineup - hopefully a full season gets him going again

1 hour ago, SLClyde said:

Are we playing you tonight? I was sure you posted on twitter saying it had been cancelled then deleted it, and our website says we have a game with you. 

It was behind closed doors but we announced it got cancelled last week I think 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So the start of our 8th season in the Lowland League is upon us. I've been feeling quite apathetic towards fitbaw the past few years, but with a new season ignites a spark that something special may be upon us. That spark will be distinguished come next Saturday after we pick up 1 point from our first 3 games. We never finished below 6th until last season and while our title chances are non existent I would hazard that this season we'll be a lot closer to the top than last year. Considering the resources last year it wasn't an absolute disaster, we were pretty decent against the top teams, just couldn't beat our fellow bottom half dwellers. The off field changes seem to have brought a more positive vibe around the club and with a bit of investment in the playing squad this year there's hope for a good year. 

It's a big test first up against Tranent, who should certainly be challenging for the title. I'm not sold on Scullions managerial credentials yet and there are some players playing at this level for the first time who will need to adapt quickly. However, Scullions signings seem have added a robustness that has been missing for a few years and gives hope that we should be able to mix it with the big boys in parts this season. A point would be a solid enough start but can see Tranent squeaking it by a goal. 

My prediction for us would be 7th, but can see there being a cluster of teams a bit adrift of Tranent and EK. My one aim for the year is just a decent cup run. We have had some tough draws in recent years but we haven't progressed 2 rounds in the Scottish Cup since 2010 and with the amount of dross that's in it nowadays that should be achievable.

I was at the game on Saturday and it's difficult to get a great view of how the season will shape up from it - Tranet were in control for the most part and the better side, I don't think they were incredible but they probably didn't need to be. I imagine the games against Gala and CSS in the next few days will be a better barometer. We looked better than the standard of performance from last season, which is a positive.  

• 2 weeks later...

Thought we played well Saturday, playing against a team who have recruited largely from leagues above bar the Darvel contingent following Mick to K Park. Didn't feel we were ever out the game, things could've been different had their second goal not come from a non existent free kick that was nothing more than standing your ground. 

On 05/08/2023 at 22:29, Oystercatcher said:

Good to see your support at k park today, good laugh all round. Enjoy the season ahead 

Yeah you guys too. Best of luck apart from when you visit us haha. 

As for winning the league your games vs Tranent will be huge I'd wager.