The East Stirlingshire Thread

craigiemack

Don't even know where to begin with yesterday. 

Firstly, what even did the referee see for their penality? No appeals, no shouts from any Berwick player they moved as if to set up for a corner. 

Stevenson has 4 fouls on our players, first player in the book is one of ours. 

Their second goal, came from a foul on Connelly, a similar tackle to what we had a player cautioned for earlier. 

Farcical but to be expected from the officials the SFA are pushing these days...

The penalty was soft but my concern was we couldn't get settled at the back albeit our scrambled defence was good. At the other end we showed the fantastic efforts of the players to create but apart from our goal we didn't create enough panic in the Berwick defence.

Scullion under pressure? No. Too early. On paper it's 1 point from 15 which obviously isn't great in theory but the effort's there across the park and I'm thinking (hoping) Edinburgh Uni and Gretna will be the crash mat this season.

However we've got chances to build momentum as we're away to Gretna this Saturday then go to Edinburgh Uni early September. We're also at home in the 2nd round of the South Challenge Cup vs Sauchie or Crossgates Primrose who're both in a lower tier. That's obviously not the league but a win can inject confidence. That's 3 stand out games in the next month to lift us off the deck. They all need to be won I'd say.

Edited by come on shire

Disappointing start to the season, I think the game against Gretna this weekend is a big one. I'd agree that the next month is going to be pretty key and if he comes out of that with some poor results then the pressure is definitely on. 

Could always just blame the refs, mind you.

1 hour ago, AlansHotBath said:

Disappointing start to the season, I think the game against Gretna this weekend is a big one. I'd agree that the next month is going to be pretty key and if he comes out of that with some poor results then the pressure is definitely on. 

Could always just blame the refs, mind you.

Yeah.  I've generally switched off to that now tbh.

I noticed in the 2nd half Pat was sitting in the stand.  I hear rumours he was sent to the stand.  I didn't notice anything myself unless something happened in the tunnel or suchlike.

• 2 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, Joe Exotic said:

The club should do themselves a favour and empty him now. Not got a clue I’m afraid. Players think so too 😉

He didn’t do much with the Swifts last season and that was with having the luxury of having Greg Spence playing in the East Premier.

Did seem a strange appointment at the time tbh.

Who would've thought that hiring a manager with no obvious credentials would result in the absolute mess we're in currently. Scullion saying at the fans meeting that this is a rebuilding season and its about next year after 4 games of a season is terrifying. If we get pumped out the South Challenge and Scottish this month then I hope he goes. 

Was looking at games to go and see but from hearing what people are saying about the dismal football that's on show I think why bother.

23 hours ago, craigiemack said:

Who would've thought that hiring a manager with no obvious credentials would result in the absolute mess we're in currently. Scullion saying at the fans meeting that this is a rebuilding season and its about next year after 4 games of a season is terrifying. If we get pumped out the South Challenge and Scottish this month then I hope he goes. 

Was looking at games to go and see but from hearing what people are saying about the dismal football that's on show I think why bother

With braves, colts, then Edinburgh uni I feel like we need at least 7 points from this...but in struggling to see us picking up 4 at the minute. 

I think a draw was a fair result today, although 0-0 would've been the fairest. Two pretty rubbish teams, didn't see Braves scoring without a penalty, and we had to rely on Shaun Brown digging us out of a hole with a great run and cross to set up the equaliser. Overall, a dire game with a good last ten minutes.

I can't see Scullion being long for the job, tbh - I don't think we've beaten anyone aside from the two other teams who are clearly worse than us since he came in, but really the team has no discernable plan or coherence on the pitch. 

Silver lining is that the guy Rankin we've signed on loan looks decent, was feeding off scraps today but was disruptive to the Braves backline. Him, Hodges, Brown and Flynn (when he's fit) could form the bones of a decent attacking unit.

Home to Huntly in the Scottish Cup. Seems like we draw them or formartine every other season. Feel like it's a tie we should get through but with how this season is going I'm not taking anything for granted. Been gifted some pretty hard ties in recent seasons, Formartine, Bonnyrigg and Tranent, so good to get a more manageable one this time. There is so much dross in it that with a bit of luck it's very achievable to get through a few rounds and give yourself a chance of a tie against a big team so here's hoping this could be our year.

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/09/2023 at 22:23, LongTimeLurker said:

Pretty good video. That guy gets grief from some people but anything I've seen from him looks like he has a genuine interest in all levels of Scottish football and he's definitely nowhere near as obnoxious as some YT football folk, so I am glad he made it along to a Shire game and hopefully he does videos from other LL and below grounds. I haven't actually seen the inside of the former Firs Park for years, so I didn't appreciate how overgrown it now is, looks like a nature reserve (albeit one with cans of Strongbow Dark Fruit dotted around).

Although I do disagree we were a 'top league' team, two seasons of top flight football in nearly 150 years doesn't really count in the same way you'd consider say Dundee United to be a top flight team. 

The first goal he missed was a belter: 

23 hours ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

...Is there any chance or anything in the pipeline for East Stirlingshire finding their own ground or is that been put on the back burner?

Was waiting to see if a Shire fan would answer this. My understanding is that is now firmly on the back burner after a proposed move to Little Kerse didn't work out. The problem with Firs Park where the youtube clip starts off ties into it being owned in dubious circumstances by their former chairman Alan Mackin. The land is derelict because the local council won't provide planning permission for any other use to make sure Mackin can't sell that parcel of land at a large profit.

3 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Was waiting to see if a Shire fan would answer this. My understanding is that is now firmly on the back burner after a proposed move to Little Kerse didn't work out. The problem with Firs Park where the youtube clip starts off ties into it being owned in dubious circumstances by their former chairman Alan Mackin. The land is derelict because the local council won't provide planning permission for any other use to make sure Mackin can't sell that parcel of land at a large profit.

That is basically my understanding, although I am not sure if Mackin is still actively trying to sell it - apparently he has turned up at Shire games in previous seasons to try to reach some kind of arrangement with the club to rebuild a ground there with his involvement (which wasn't taken up for obvious reasons), and I don't know how much that land parcel of land in central Falkirk is worth now compared to 20 years ago. I don't live in Falkirk anymore but I know there is a big push to turn a lot of the empty shops in the town centre into flats, so a lot of the focus will be on there rather than the back end of the retail park. 

Also the issue of where the club could get the money to actually build a ground.

On 19/09/2023 at 11:22, AlansHotBath said:

Pretty good video. That guy gets grief from some people but anything I've seen from him looks like he has a genuine interest in all levels of Scottish football and he's definitely nowhere near as obnoxious as some YT football folk, so I am glad he made it along to a Shire game and hopefully he does videos from other LL and below grounds. I haven't actually seen the inside of the former Firs Park for years, so I didn't appreciate how overgrown it now is, looks like a nature reserve (albeit one with cans of Strongbow Dark Fruit dotted around).

Although I do disagree we were a 'top league' team, two seasons of top flight football in nearly 150 years doesn't really count in the same way you'd consider say Dundee United to be a top flight team. 

The first goal he missed was a belter: 

Yeah, spot on. Some youtubers only care about their own image and end up at games with an attitude like "look, it's me!!!" and make it all about themselves. This guy clearly genuinely cares about all levels of the game and gives some smaller clubs welcome exposure. I hope he keeps doing it!

Not everything he does is to my taste, I couldn't care less about his Rangers or Celtic videos for example, but then I don't watch those videos I'm not interested in rather than moan about them. I also appreciate that with him doing it for a living, he also has to make videos about them to get the viewers/subscribers in.

Edited by Marten