Premier League 2016-2017

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

Sounds like a part timer lacking away loyalty points ... :P 

Oh absolutely. I don't have a season ticket as I only get to maybe 10-12 games a season so now we're in the PL with their bizarre 3000 away ticket cap I've got no chance. Boro took over 7000 away to Blackburn last year in The Championship never mind now with a 3K cap.

29 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Why is there a 3000 limit on away supports in the PL?

Is this what the Police deemed 'manageable' or something?

No idea but it's a complete farce in my opinion. It's fine for most teams as home ends will sell anyway, but you could essentially have a situation where a home club are losing out on lots of cash on a weekly basis because the PL don't let them sell tickets when there's huge demand. So away fans miss out and the home club miss out on the cash. Ridiculous.

1 hour ago, Bully Di Villa said:

I don't think there is a 3k cap in the Premier. That's the minimum that teams have to give. It may be reduced further on police advice if there is potential for trouble.

Nah, it is a maximum of 3,000, or if the home teams stadium is below 30,000, then its 10% of the home teams capacity. Explained below in the Gazette with a guide to each club.

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/listed-away-allocations-boro-receive-11412272

Not entirely sure the reasoning behind it, but policing could be as good a guess as any. Could also be at the clubs behest seeing as they're all greedy fuckers and the maximum price for an away ticket is £30. Try and maximise their gate earnings by capping the number of cheaper seats.

3 hours ago, J_Stewart said:

Nah, it is a maximum of 3,000, or if the home teams stadium is below 30,000, then its 10% of the home teams capacity. Explained below in the Gazette with a guide to each club.

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/listed-away-allocations-boro-receive-11412272

Not entirely sure the reasoning behind it, but policing could be as good a guess as any. Could also be at the clubs behest seeing as they're all greedy fuckers and the maximum price for an away ticket is £30. Try and maximise their gate earnings by capping the number of cheaper seats.

That's it there. Clubs like Blackburn (7200), Burnley & Leicester (4000) would usually sell more away tickets to help fill the ground ... now with the £30 cap many will reduce the away allocation to the minimum. Burnley used to give the whole of the stand behind the goal up but this season they have halved it and can sell tickets for £40 odd. 

1 hour ago, Bully Di Villa said:

Yeah you may be right. Maximum price was agreed last year to be effective this. I remember much moaning that we'd end up paying more for away games now we've been relegated than we would've had we stayed up.

Feel for you BDV x 

Did you hear it's only £20 at Southampton :P 

9 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

30 pound for an away ticket however is great value for money however . Fans moaned for a long time about how expensive it was .

Yeah that's great, but when it reduces the amount of tickets that clubs are even allowed to give out it kind of negates the effect of that. It's great for the few fans who get it, but for clubs who previously took 7000 or so fans to now have less than that actually allowed to attend is a farce.

Feel for you BDV x 

Did you hear it's only £20 at Southampton [emoji14] 

I don't like Southampton anyway.

Pissed off that Brighton has been moved to a Friday night and I have no leave left.

Also Barnsley and Preston sound like excellent away days and one is midweek while the other is when I'm in London for the NFL [emoji22]

18 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Yeah that's great, but when it reduces the amount of tickets that clubs are even allowed to give out it kind of negates the effect of that. It's great for the few fans who get it, but for clubs who previously took 7000 or so fans to now have less than that actually allowed to attend is a farce.

One of the downsides is a smaller allocation at a few grounds but for the regulars it's saving a lot of money. The likes of Arsenal and Spurs from over £60 down to £30. Also many clubs even bigger supported ones like Spurs, Newcastle and Villa haven't been taking the full allocations they were entitled to for years. Largely due to cost I would imagine. 

2 hours ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

One of the downsides is a smaller allocation at a few grounds but for the regulars it's saving a lot of money. The likes of Arsenal and Spurs from over £60 down to £30. Also many clubs even bigger supported ones like Spurs, Newcastle and Villa haven't been taking the full allocations they were entitled to for years. Largely due to cost I would imagine. 

But when you've got more than 3000 regulars, as many in the PL do, it's a saving for some and disappointment for the rest. Also, nobody is complaining about the cost reduction. There is absolutely no need to limit the amount a club is allowed to give out. Put in a minimum allocation, then the club themselves can choose what they want. I can't see why anyone thinks this is a good system right now, and it's annoying when people keep saying the above as if the ticket cap and allocation cap aren't mutually exclusive - you could easily have implemented the ticket cap without forcing clubs to lose business if they don't want to.

4 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

But when you've got more than 3000 regulars, as many in the PL do, it's a saving for some and disappointment for the rest. Also, nobody is complaining about the cost reduction. There is absolutely no need to limit the amount a club is allowed to give out. Put in a minimum allocation, then the club themselves can choose what they want. I can't see why anyone thinks this is a good system right now, and it's annoying when people keep saying the above as if the ticket cap and allocation cap aren't mutually exclusive - you could easily have implemented the ticket cap without forcing clubs to lose business if they don't want to.

Surely the clubs have to agree terms when it comes to their prices though. Which would mean that there's some negotiating to be done. I really don't buy it's a coincidence that these two things came hand in hand.

Just now, Randy Giles said:

Surely the clubs have to agree terms when it comes to their prices though. Which would mean that there's some negotiating to be done. I really don't buy it's a coincidence that these two things came hand in hand.

I don't see why any club would agree to, or as you appear to be implying (apologies if you're not) suggest, a maximum number of tickets they can hand out. Clubs would've preferred to have no price cap or allocation cap, to continue ripping off away fans. So if the PL forced the ticket cap on them, it would make zero sense for them to then want an allocation cap, rather than just keeping it as is and allocating however many tickets they want to each week based on home and away demand. It just doesn't make any business sense whatsoever to me, so can only think that the PL has enforced it.

Archived