Group B: Battle Stations

jagfox

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Worked out well for Ingerlund. You would normally expect runners-up to play a table topping team next but they have second place from group F. Not sure if I want to see them v Portugal who are yet to click,  or Iceland just for the laughs if they lose.

Nah, I'm sure, Iceland.  :)

Worked out well for Ingerlund. You would normally expect runners-up to play a table topping team next but they have second place from group F. Not sure if I want to see them v Portugal who are yet to click, or Iceland just for the laughs if they lose.

Nah, I'm sure, Iceland. :)

I think it will end up being Hungary

Getting out the group stages is a minimum must for England, so you would think job done. But the way the group has panned out, it is a joke to finish 2nd. Too draw against a shambles of a Russia, last minute win against the Welsh and a goalless draw against Slovakia is just laughable. Woy can throw his domination pish about all he likes, it's teargas.

If Scotland had got out of a group in a major tournament, no-one would care who finished above or below us.

Edit for spelling.

By most,  yeah.  But there's always going to be people slating him (or anyone who was in that position) for doing so.

Getting out the group stages is a minimum must for England, so you would think job done. But the way the group has panned out, it is a joke to finish 2nd. Too draw against a shambles of a Russia, last minute win against the Welsh and a goalless draw against Slovakia is just laughable. Woy can throw his domination pish about all he likes, it's teargas.

:lol:

Not sure really.  The Russia game ended up looking worse because the Russians ended up completely shitting the bed in the next two games.  Sure they shouldn't have conceded in the last minute, and if they hadn't they'd have easily topped the group even with a listless performance against Slovakia.

They've been hamstrung by being forced into the role of the dominant side.  It's not pish what Roy said, it's factual.  Unfortunately for them, they didn't handle the domination very well.  They looked very good early on against Russia, but from that moment on it looked like they just couldn't believe how much of the ball they were getting.  Their confidence got knocked with the late goal, then they spent 180 minutes against sides who offered absolutely nothing, and didn't want to either.  A lot of teams would struggle in those situations.

As for their potential opponents in the first knockout round, it's going to be difficult.   Not because they could come up against a much better team, because I don't think any team in that group is inherently better, but more because they'll be expected to be the dominant side.  And as I said before, they're not very good at that.  No side in that group is going to come out and try and take on England I imagine - why should they?  They've just watched teams be pretty effective by sitting deep.  Ally that with an effective counter-attack, and England will be going home.  Iceland won't come out and attack them, and I don't think Hungary would either (although have the ability to).  I dare to say they might actually hope for Portugal, as they might actually come out, and are effectively playing at the level of however Ronaldo can play.  At the moment that's somewhere between shite and very shite.

As good as Wales were last night is beating an ageing Russia who even we could probably beat that much of a big deal? The love in over Wales ATM is getting a bit OTT now. They deserve the plaudits 100% but as you saw in the England game as soon as they come up against a team WITH and that is the operative word, WITH, the tools to damage then they are nothing more than a team who will themselves try and park the bus and pin their hopes on Bale on the counter.  

When Wales manage to beat someone like Germany, Spain, France etc I will maybe sit up and take more notice but at the moment, given the fact they have a Player like Bale, beating Russia and Slovakia is not earth shattering stuff, it is to be expected.

As for England I do not know what their clowns in the media or idiotic fans are crying about and hanging Hodgson out to dry for when they actually, due to the format of the draws, get a more favourable draw and more time to prep so do not understand what their issue is really. Even if they get Portugal its nothing to be scared of either as they are just as bad as England have been.

They've been hamstrung by being forced into the role of the dominant side. 

This really doesn't stand up for me. England play absolute dross teams in the qualifiers and they are the dominant side then and score for fun. The problem is here that they are playing better teams who can defend properly, however, teams playing like this against them should be nothing new.

As good as Wales were last night is beating an ageing Russia who even we could probably beat that much of a big deal? The love in over Wales ATM is getting a bit OTT now. They deserve the plaudits 100% but as you saw in the England game as soon as they come up against a team WITH and that is the operative word, WITH, the tools to damage then they are nothing more than a team who will themselves try and park the bus and pin their hopes on Bale on the counter.  

When Wales manage to beat someone like Germany, Spain, France etc I will maybe sit up and take more notice but at the moment, given the fact they have a Player like Bale, beating Russia and Slovakia is not earth shattering stuff, it is to be expected.

As for England I do not know what their clowns in the media or idiotic fans are crying about and hanging Hodgson out to dry for when they actually, due to the format of the draws, get a more favourable draw and more time to prep so do not understand what their issue is really. Even if they get Portugal its nothing to be scared of either as they are just as bad as England have been.

There is certainly no love in over Wales in here. Of course it's a big deal. In their first finals in 58 years they have already achieved what Scotland couldn't do in 8 attempts in that time. Also doing it in style by topping their group and scoring more goals in one competition than we did in both our Euro finals combined. We can only imagine what it's like for them just now because we've never experienced it.

This really doesn't stand up for me. England play absolute dross teams in the qualifiers and they are the dominant side then and score for fun. The problem is here that they are playing better teams who can defend properly, however, teams playing like this against them should be nothing new.

Is it nothing new?  They've never really been in this position in any tournament I can remember.  Might be that they've just finally gotten over that tournament mental issue that they always seem to suffer from, and are now having a different problem.

There is certainly no love in over Wales in here. Of course it's a big deal. In their first finals in 58 years they have already achieved what Scotland couldn't do in 8 attempts in that time. Also doing it in style by topping their group and scoring more goals in one competition than we did in both our Euro finals combined. We can only imagine what it's like for them just now because we've never experienced it.

I find myself supporting Wales and I think this is why, because I see them as a bit like Scotland and completely achieveing what they had no idea they'd achieve, topping the group and going to the knockout stage is not little achievement for them.

I really don't like the Wales football team, although I'm not quite sure why.  It certainly stems partially from watching them beat us twice, and some of their fans in Cardiff.

I also find (a minority of) their fans to be more deluded than England's a lot of the time.  While the media always trot out the usual, I find most England fans to be pretty level-headed and realistic.  I've seen far more Wales fans show neither quality.

Is it nothing new? They've never really been in this position in any tournament I can remember. Might be that they've just finally gotten over that tournament mental issue that they always seem to suffer from, and are now having a different problem.

Maybe not in every tournament because the fact England is very much a middle of the road side. Will not dominate against the top sides (Italy, France, Spain or Germany) but have enough about them to dominate lesser teams.

But what they come up against was more the latter than the former in the qualifiers where they scored 31 goals and conceded only 3 in 10 games.

The big difference is when teams can defend well England, unlike other teams don't seem to have that one player that can dig them out of that hole. Spain, Germany and Italy have now and in the past. If they manage to find that player(s) I think they could be a very, very good side

This has been really annoying me. Loads of people have gone on about being lucky to beat Wales, while ignoring that Russia scored a last minute equaliser with basically their only attack.

England haven't been great, but the extreme negativity has been bizarre. Anyone who thinks this has been terrible didn't watch any of our last 3 World Cup campaigns.

I think it will end up being Hungary

Well, it didn't and has lined up a tie which could be chock-full of guffaws, (or not).

Looking forward to this and  other games. France v ROI, Italy v Spain and Wales v NI.

Sadly I think Bales will get to the Semi Finals at least, they seem to have luck on their side especially with their 1 Player on form........I would honestly rather see England do better than that lot, they aren't even good. As for the Two Irish teams they aren't any better, when Josh Magennis is playing in the Euros it shows you how bad we are.

Archived