Football league 2016-2017

3 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Fair enough, I was reading the Q&A with the EFL chief on their website and he made it sound like a new thing they had brought in to sit alongside the U21s/over-agers requirements.

I take it this is what's going to get Luton a £5,000 fine that people are getting upset about (lots of tweet pointing-out how many foreigners and over-agers EPL teams fielded).

EDIT: Portsmouth too, apparently.

So Luton and Pompey put out weak sides, didn't know that.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dropped too many starters/regulars?

Suggestions saw Bristol Rovers lowest-ever crowd in national competition.

EDIT: Aye Luton made too many changes so under rules will be fined £5,000. However they used plenty English youngsters while many 'B' teams didn't.

On 31/08/2016 at 16:12, HibeeJibee said:

Fair enough, I was reading the Q&A with the EFL chief on their website and he made it sound like a new thing they had brought in to sit alongside the U21s/over-agers requirements.

I take it this is what's going to get Luton a £5,000 fine that people are getting upset about (lots of tweet pointing-out how many foreigners and over-agers EPL teams fielded).

EDIT: Portsmouth too, apparently.

I was doing some research for a prospective bet on Yeovil and saw that Portsmouth had changed their entire XI from the previous league game.

2 hours ago, The Naitch said:

Good piece. Saints Chairman Steve Brown will be having nightmares at a club actually keeping their fans fully updated especially on such an important issue. Well done Plymouth.

Losing six games a year and moving a dozen teams one division further away from the top flight is hardly going to help attendances. I could live with them regionalising, say replacing League One and League Two with the modern equivalent of Division Three North and South.

Overall though, the Football League is in good health. I doubt any league in the World will have better attendances at its second-fourth tier competitions.

Oh, AND f**k OFF WITH YOUR B TEAM SHITE.

Alan Stubbs must be regretting leaving Hibs. Had it absolutely cushty there despite two total failures of league campaigns and after the cup win would probably have got away with continually failing for another couple of years. Instead he's at a club who aren't blinded by the emotion of a cup win and where he'll get punted if he doesn't achieve their goal. Such a lazy appointment by them, assuming someone can manage because of a cup win and not considering his poor league and play-off record is hilarious. A bit of research would have shown someone like Tommy Wright would have been an ideal appointment for Rotherham, proven over years he can work on a limited budget and get a team to play above themselves, rather than Stubbs under-achieving on a huge budget for the league. Even if you think he's some genius in the cup format, it's hardly relevant for Rotherham as I doubt FA Cup success was on their success criteria.

Hibs must be loving it though, got paid to get rid of him and replace him with a competent manager who'll win the league at the first attempt.

Aston Villa and Nottingham Forest are about to play each other. Has there been any other instance, anywhere in Europe, of two former European Cup winners playing one another in a second division match?

9 minutes ago, Yoss said:

Aston Villa and Nottingham Forest are about to play each other. Has there been any other instance, anywhere in Europe, of two former European Cup winners playing one another in a second division match?

Watched the football league tonight on channel 5 this morning and I'm sure they mentioned this was the first time 

1 minute ago, 7-2 said:

The big Championship challenge edges closer to an outcome...will it be Monk or Coyle that's first to go?

Monk, Blackburn are skint, and the owners have lost all interest. 

9 minutes ago, mizfit said:

I'd say Monk too because of the nutter in charge but I doubt Coyle will be on that much by English standards. Two year contract but you never know the terms. Doubt Venky's are skint, just not ploughing money into the club for whatever reason.

31 minutes ago, mizfit said:

That hasn't stopped them changing managers more than their underwear during their time at Ewood.

In the last 3 transfer windows Venkys have sanctioned the sale of a few key players (Hanley, Rhodes, Cairney, Gestede) and either not replaced them or brought in a free transfer or loan. 

Coyle is far from an ideal manager but you can only piss with the cock you've got. Hes getting no money to spend. Venkys are just tight wads and the club will only go downhill until they're gone.

Just now, C. Muir said:

That hasn't stopped them changing managers more than their underwear during their time at Ewood.

In the last 3 transfer windows Rovers have sold a few key players (Hanley, Rhodes, Cairney, Gestede) and either not replaced them or brought in a free transfer. 

Coyle is far from an ideal manager but you can only piss with the cock you've got. Venkys are just tight wad and the club will only go downhill until they're gone.

To be honest, I'm predicting Blackburn to be the next Portsmouth. Relegated to League 2 within 3 years. 

Sam Allardyce, Steve Kean, Henning Berg, Michael Appleton, Gary Bowyer, Paul Lambert, Owen Coyle. 

8 managers in 6 years and that's with 2 of them having nearly 2 years each (Kean and Bowyer).

Big Sam must be laughing into his fish suppers when you see where he is now compared to where Blackburn are now. Still completely bewildered as to why they got rid of him while sitting 10th in the premier league :lol:

Archived