Italian Football Thread

Kris.

perhaps you'd all like to make an orderly queue if the team that you support numbers amongst its indefatigable footballing titans an international representative of the sporting superpower that is The Principality of Leichtenstein, come along now - nice and qucik - oh - just me then, eh* ? 8)

Ladeez an' gennlm'n - I present to you Marcel Büchel - previously having bestrode the verdant sod in the employ of such luminaries as Siena, Gubbio, Cremonese, Virtus Lanciano, Bologna and Empoli and now on the cusp of his finest moments, trundling about in the centre of the park for I Gialloblu - hurrah !

1500886396_103827_2017_7_24_banner_Buche

* as long as senorsoupe doesn't have any latent allegiance to Toronto FC, which is going to shoot that claim to fame firmly up the arse...

Edited by Herman Hessian

On 7/15/2017 at 10:56, Allan Jacobsen said:

Confirmed teams that won't play in Serie C next season: Como, Latina (but actually Fondi), Maceratese, Mantova and Messina

Teams that have been excluded but are appealing the decision: Akragas, Arezzo, Fidelis Andria, Juve Stabia and Modena

The five confirmed teams could be replaced by any of the following: Triestina, Rende, Rieti, Lumezzane, Varese, Vis Pesaro

Mantova's situation now at least partially clarified - they will be playing in Serie D under a new management structure, and with some sort of arrangement (not sure how formal as yet) with Chievo that should ensure a regular supply of loan players from Verona down the road to the Stadio Danilo Martelli (home of the most unstable-looking temporary stand in world football, if it's still there...); not sure if the new set up is going to be a continuation of the existing club, or a fifth reformation in their 106 year history - makes Rangers look like a well-run football team !

it would seem that all five of the teams who were appealing their expulsion from Serie C have been granted a reprieve and will continue playing at that level for 2017/18

in other news - Hellas negotiating with Juve for the loan of Joel Untersee and Moises Keane ("famous" for being the first player born after 01/01/2000 to play - and score - in one of Europe's top five leagues). Oh, and Cassano may have changed his mind - again - and be applying for his free bus pass after all...

Mantova's Meccano stand:

3c48070f2615ef83d9c31bfc2f9642f6-1284629

looks perfectly safe !

140724155130_dsc00155.jpg

Edited by Herman Hessian

I'd love to see a game at Manova. One of Italy's loveliest towns and not far away from one of it's loveliest villages (Borghetto sul Mincio) where I had the best plate of pasta ever. 

AC Milan will surely be challenging Juventus this season but who else will be up there? Napoli and Roma again?

two clubs who were hoping to start next season in Serie D have had their applications turned down; S F Gladiator (from Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Campania) played at that level last year (finishing mid-table in Girone I) but have failed to lodge the necessary securities to continue in the league for 2017/18 and look to be on the point of bankruptcy; A S D Folgore Selinunte (Castelvetrano, just south of Marsala on Sicily) were looking to be promoted from the Eccelenza Sicilia but have failed in their bid - not sure why, but the future of the club is also very uncertain, so it may be a case of not being able to demonstrate sufficient resources...

Brigata Spartaco - not best pleased...

16939367_10154096379085876_2306150730746

might want to take the Serie D logo off the Facebook header...

19399881_897427553731977_742497596467184

On 7/21/2017 at 14:39, Allan Jacobsen said:

Not happening. FIGC did not find any exceptional circumstances for changing the club registration twice in such a short period of time. Fondi remain, Latina do not.

Unlucky, etc...

Latest on Latina is that they are looking to reform and start in Campionati di Promozione (one below the Campionato di Eccellenza - so effectively level six of the "pyramid") under the guise of Borgo Pogdoro (an area just to the north of Latina itself) - a long way down from Serie B !

IMG_1520.jpg?fit=5184,3456&ssl=1

Edited by Herman Hessian

Coppa Italia first round results from 29/30 July

20431190_1086209801515108_54135830835761

nothing too exciting there - all the Serie D teams were beaten, with the exception of Triestina who won Saturday's game at Arezzo (who had made the play-offs for promotion to Serie B last season); Triestina have the most ridiculously massive stadium for a club of their stature (the legacy of a more storied past, though only 25 years old - it has a capacity of over 32,000), and now go to Pescara in the next round...

rocco-2.jpg

complimenti-alla-nuova-dirigenza-triesti

Trieste is one of my favourite Italian cities and it's a real shame what happened to the club. I'd quite like to see a game there - I think it's been used before for Serie A games when a team has had to move for some reason? It would be good if they could get a home tie against someone decent when my next holidays come up... 

10 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Trieste is one of my favourite Italian cities and it's a real shame what happened to the club. I'd quite like to see a game there - I think it's been used before for Serie A games when a team has had to move for some reason? It would be good if they could get a home tie against someone decent when my next holidays come up... 

yup - upcoming trip (which ended up being to Verona - heh) started off aiming for Friuli, with a view to taking in Triestina, Udinese, Pordenone, Venezia - that sort of thing - maybe even a cheeky cross-border manoeuvre for some obscure Slovenian or Croatian football; not entirely sure what level Triestina are playing in for 2017/18 - they won their promotion play-off agaqinst Virtus Verona (having drawn the match, and "winning" by virtue of being the highest placed team in the league), but were listed as a Serie D team for the purposes of the Coppa Italia draw - I think their status may depend on the outcome of a COVISOC meeting later this week....

update - yup - meeting on Friday 04/08 to settle all the outstanding promotion/relegation issues and confirm the constitution of the lower leagues; good - need the fixtures issued to be able to work out where I'm heading for - hoping for a Venezia home game...a trip to Venice is going to be a shoe-in with the missus :lol:

Edited by Herman Hessian

6 minutes ago, Herman Hessian said:

yup - upcoming trip (which ended up being to Verona - heh) started off aiming for Friuli, with a view to taking in Triestina, Udinese, Pordenone, Venezia - that sort of thing - maybe even a cheeky cross-border manoeuvre for some obscure Slovenian or Croatian football; not entirely sure what level Triestina are playing in for 2017/18 - they won their promotion play-off agaqinst Virtus Verona (having drawn the match, and "winning" by virtue of being the highest placed team in the league), but were listed as a Serie D team for the purposes of the Coppa Italia draw - I think their status may depend on the outcome of a COVISOC meeting later this week....

They're going up along with Rende. They're the only two teams who applied for repechage to Serie C. The meeting on 4th August is only because they have to have one. There's only going to be 57 teams in Serie C this season unless something mad happens.

4 hours ago, Allan Jacobsen said:

They're going up along with Rende. They're the only two teams who applied for repechage to Serie C. The meeting on 4th August is only because they have to have one. There's only going to be 57 teams in Serie C this season unless something mad happens.

ahh ok - just found that story - thanks !

interesting investigation ongoing in to A C Prato (currently Serie C) too - reputedly bringing over "trialists" from Africa for backhanders to get around immigration regulations - all manner of falsified documentation showing Italian parenthood and phone-tapped conversations lined up to incriminate various parties; not sure that it'll impact directly on the club, but there are also allegations of match-fixing, including the Prato v Tuttocuoio relegation play-off, which will obviously have dire consequences if proven...

57 minutes ago, Herman Hessian said:

ahh ok - just found that story - thanks !

interesting investigation ongoing in to A C Prato (currently Serie C) too - reputedly bringing over "trialists" from Africa for backhanders to get around immigration regulations - all manner of falsified documentation showing Italian parenthood and phone-tapped conversations lined up to incriminate various parties; not sure that it'll impact directly on the club, but there are also allegations of match-fixing, including the Prato v Tuttocuoio relegation play-off, which will obviously have dire consequences if proven...

Also match-fixing allegations in a Avellino-Catanzaro game from 2012/13 which meant that Avellino won their league and were promoted to Serie B. Possibility of both teams being relegated as a result. The correct thing to do in this situation would be to give Avellino a slap on the wrist and relegate Catanzaro to Terza Categoria.

Edited by Allan Jacobsen

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

Cassano is denying he said he was retiring

getting a bit fiesty about things, too - challenging anyone to produce any verifiable evidence that he said he was - heh. He's sacked his agent and has now said - having received no offers apart from the "playing for pancakes" comments from U S Legino - that if there are no sensible deals on the table by the end of August, then he's jacking it in; Virtus Entella mooted to be interested, but not much substance to that rumour, and probably no more than some more "well - it's quite near Genoa" pin-sticking. On his time in Verona, Cassano reflected that "Hellas Verona did not spark the spark, I immediately realised that it is like staying with a woman and noticing that she does not want to spend time together."

In other news, excitement at the SM'AB peaked over the weekend with recycled rumours of gli Scaligeri interested in taking a punt on Ricardo Kishna from Lazio or Lucas Boyè from Torino, either of whom might just be worth an extended look, particularly the latter - or Carl Jenkinson from Arsenal, who very probably isn't; oh, and beating Sampdoria 1-0 in a friendly - not many sparks flying there, either...

On 7/31/2017 at 10:21, Allan Jacobsen said:

Lupa Roma are hopeful of getting back into Serie C. That being said, Lumezzane were banging on about getting back into Serie C too because they "aren't cheats" and they nearly didn't get admitted into Serie D because their finances were a mess. They were extremely confident too...

Was debating whether to start a new thread for the new season, but might as well just keep using this one.

Serie B fixtures were released today. Parma start at home to fellow promoted side Cremonese, whilst Venezia host Salernitana & Foggia get a tough start away at Pescara. Palermo host Spezia and Empoli are at Ternana in terms of the relegated Serie A sides.

On 7/31/2017 at 10:21, Allan Jacobsen said:

There's only going to be 57 56 teams in Serie C this season.

:lol:

4 hours before the deadline, Covisoc decide that the payment made by Rende to register for Serie C was done too late. Shambolic. Either going to be a group of 20 and two groups of 18 or two groups of 19 and one group of 18. Trapani will be hoping for the first option - they want to be placed in the northern group as it's cheaper to fly to places like Vicenza than it is to get a bus to somewhere like Lecce.