Italian Football Thread

Kris.

in two minds about this opening weekend; it's good to see the Milanese and Napoli starting strongly, bodes well for a decent title race and not just another Juve stroll, but it seems as if the top four or five clubs are going to be a paradigm shift away from the rest, and routinely hand out hidings week in and week out; elsewhere - pleased that the donkeys get off to a decent start, although I reckon Udinese are going to struggle big time this season, and there's going to be dancing in the streets of SPAL after that opener (seriously thinking about taking a look at them when I'm over there next month - home to Cagliari...)

32 minutes ago, Kris. said:

Dull second halves all round so far.

Zzz. Watched the Milan game, which was uneventful after the first 25 minutes or so. Doesn't seem like I missed much elsewhere though. Great point for SPAL at Lazio though.

2 hours ago, A-Mac said:

The finish from Birsa!

giphy.gif

one of the single most irritating things about "new football" is those double rows of advertising hoardings - as if they weren't already fucking irritating enough when there's just one lot of scrolling shite in mandarin or korean or whatever....

Serie B gets underway tomorrow, with Parma at home to Cremonese. Game is streaming on Bet 365, and I imagine some other places too. As good a start as Parma could have gotten - a home game against a fellow promoted side. Hopefully they can get three points, and kick on from there.

Parma lead 1-0 at HT, Calaio with a penalty. Bit of a soft award, 'keeper caught the player on the foot but he threw himself down. Had the referee held off blowing the whistle for another half a second, the ball was in the net anyway. Calaio maybe lucky to still be on the park after catching a Cremonese player in the face with a high boot. A game of very few clear cut chances before the goal, Parma had just had the two best opportunities within the 5/10 minutes prior to the goal. Nocciolini nodding wide and Baraye firing wide after going through on goal, although the 'keeper was out quick to close him down, could easily have just dinked it over him though. A decent away crowd down for the game and pretty noisy. Good home support, too.

Finished 1-0. Parma on top in the first half, with it more even in the second. Again a lack of clear chances for either side, although Scaglia made a superb tackle in the six-yard box in the 4th minute of injury time to stop the Cremonese striker scoring. A decent start though.

21 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Do Parma have much chance of promotion?

They look like they'd be a good enough shout to make the play-offs, wouldn't expect them to push for the title, anyway. Looked relatively solid at the back and created enough going forward, although the quality was lacking at the end, so scoring enough goals might be an issue. Hard to judge too much given they were playing another side just promoted themselves. The squad is also a bit on the old side - Baraye and Dezi were the only players under 27 last night who started, and even then they're 25, so they might not have the legs to compete at the top end of the table over the course of a 42 game season. I imagine they'll finish top half, maybe sneaking in to the play-offs, then push on next year for a title bid if they don't make it up through the play-offs.

Just now, accies1874 said:

Well taken there from Dzeko. He's had a new lease of life since moving to Roma.

I'd say just since last season, he was pretty pish the year before. Great finish though.