Italian Football Thread

Kris.

On 7/31/2017 at 10:21, Allan Jacobsen said:

There's only going to be 57 56 teams in Serie C this season.

:lol:

4 hours before the deadline, Covisoc decide that the payment made by Rende to register for Serie C was done too late. Shambolic. Either going to be a group of 20 and two groups of 18 or two groups of 19 and one group of 18. Trapani will be hoping for the first option - they want to be placed in the northern group as it's cheaper to fly to places like Vicenza than it is to get a bus to somewhere like Lecce.

On 03/08/2017 at 23:13, Kris. said:

Serie B fixtures were released today.

...crackin' - Venezia v Spezia on 16/09 - just the job ! Hellas Verona v Sampdoria on the following Wednesday; and hoping for a sports bar in Verona on Sunday afternoon for a bit of Roma v Hellas on TV - that might be the hardest one to pull off  :lol:

first bit of "excitement" in the Coppa Italia for the season, as Empoli - who would still be in Serie A were it not for Crotone's luducrous escape from relegation on the last day of 2016/17 - manage to lose at home to the singularly unspectacular A C Renate (from Meda, just north of Milan) on penalties, after a 2-2 draw...

Couple of surprise results in the early kickoffs with Serie C Pordenone beating Serie B moneybags Venezia and Serie B Novara losing to Serie C Piacenza. Triestina are drawing 2-2 with Pescara at half time. Potential for a lot of shocks this evening with the exception of the Carpi-Livorno game (4-0 after 50 mins) and probably Palermo-Virtus Francavilla (2-0 at half time) despite Zamparini's best efforts.

please don't forget to set aside a few moments to laugh at Vicenza - the cat-munching b*****ds - for managing to lose 1-3 at home to the might of Foggia; Pescara also stil making hard work of it agaist Triestina - 3-3 after 90 minutes; at least Palermo managed to keep the flag flying for recent Serie A exiteers, sticking five past Virtus Francavilla...

21 minutes ago, Herman Hessian said:

please don't forget to set aside a few moments to laugh at Vicenza - the cat-munching b*****ds - for managing to lose 1-3 at home to the might of Foggia; Pescara also stil making hard work of it agaist Triestina - 3-3 after 90 minutes; at least Palermo managed to keep the flag flying for recent Serie A exiteers, sticking five past Virtus Francavilla...

Foggia are in a higher league this season though. Plus Vicenza have been utter mince for the last 10 years or so.

11 minutes ago, Allan Jacobsen said:

Foggia are in a higher league this season though. Plus Vicenza have been utter mince for the last 10 years or so.

i see no reason not to revel in their misfortune though- even though it might not be unexpected ;)

162 clubs in Serie D for the coming season, the composition of the nine regional "girones" to be announced on 10th August

Sasso Marconi, Francavilla, Acireale and Cittanovese - all of whom lost in the promotion playoffs from the Campionato Eccellenza last season - have been promoted in to SD anyway; Olginatese, Recanatese, Roccella and Sangiovannese who all lost in the relegation playoffs will retain their fourth tier status and are joined by Calcio Tortona from the Eccellenza Piemonte, who have also been promoted having beaten Cheraschese and Saluzzo in the play-offs, and who will be changing their name (back) to Derthona, the title under which they previously reached Serie B back in the 1930's...

Edited by Herman Hessian

full second round results from all this weekend's games:
20604637_1090050681131020_78946170355941466_n.jpg?oh=1ce6e603c53a8771463ba6f51ebf5781&oe=5A2E3208
and the third round draw:
20637962_1090053234464098_2027744746825249297_n.jpg?oh=fe137fb7a05ed53193007c2694408cbf&oe=5A2F2F9F

Really hate the Italian Cup format. As if giving eight teams byes to the last sixteen wasn't bad enough, they also seed them, keep them apart in the draw AND give them home advantage. Virtually no chance of an underdog doing well, ever. Absolute pish.

45 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Really hate the Italian Cup format. As if giving eight teams byes to the last sixteen wasn't bad enough, they also seed them, keep them apart in the draw AND give them home advantage. Virtually no chance of an underdog doing well, ever. Absolute pish.

template for the F A Cup in years to come, introduced with appropriate fanfares and claims to be "following the forward-thinking lead from one of Europe's foremost leagues"; they might as well, TBF - no-one gives a flying one about the latter stages of the cup now anyway, unless you happen to support Arsenal and think that winning the thing legitimises another decade or two under Wenger...

I still love the cup in England and Scotland. The German and French ones are good, too. There's about 10,000 teams in the French one, the mad c***s![emoji23]

The Italian and Spanish ones are far too geared in favour of the top clubs to be interesting.

I still love the cup in England and Scotland. The German and French ones are good, too. There's about 10,000 teams in the French one, the mad c***s![emoji23]

The Italian and Spanish ones are far too geared in favour of the top clubs to be interesting.

I'm sure the bigger clubs in France don't come in until something like the 9th round! I remember a team from the 7th tier made it to the quarters a few years ago.

They have teams from French Guiana and Polynesia in it, too. [emoji3]

Think they also have it so that lower-division clubs are automatically drawn at home if they play a top tier club. Not sure I agree with that entirely but it keeps it interesting and makes for plenty of upsets. I remember Calais, an amateur team, only narrowly losing the Final a few years back.

They have teams from French Guiana and Polynesia in it, too. [emoji3]

Think they also have it so that lower-division clubs are automatically drawn at home if they play a top tier club. Not sure I agree with that entirely but it keeps it interesting and makes for plenty of upsets. I remember Calais, and amateur team, only narrowly losing the Final a few years back.

It was Calais I was thinking of. I knew it was a coastal team of some sort