Inverness v Arbroath

TheScarf

I can't agree with you there.
I think we'll give a few defences a horror this season.  We're a professional top flight team with a lot of players who have been at the club a while and others fighting for places and new players all looking to impress the manager.  A full time top flight side did a (very) good job against a lower league part time side.  I mean no disrespect by that at all.
I don't think you embarrassed yourself at all, we just went for it is all.

We've played plenty of top flight teams in the past and not suffered such a bad score line, in the last 5 year off the top of my head. A 4-2 loss to Hearts, 2-1 loss to Hamilton, 1-0 defeat to Celtic, a 1-1 draw with Celtic. Even the United/Dunfermline games just past were against full time sides, respectable defeats to Hibs in the Scottish, both 3-1, worst defeat we got off The Rangers was 5-1.

The only other one that comes close is when we got trounced for 6 I think against St Johnstone at Gayf.

It was in fairness a depleted team/squad with key players missing but I'm sure the lads and DC will be disappointed to lose by 7.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Always got to be disappointed with a defeat of that size but there were mitigating circumstances with players suspended and injured and the fact inverness are a quality outfit, shown in the 5.1 tanking they gave Dunfermline. This cup has really done us no favours after a promising opening game. Looking forward to the league campaign getting up and running.

As long as the confidence is not to dented after Saturday, we should be in for a far better season than last. I would not swap our squad for any other in League 2... I would like to win on Tuesday but it really is a nothing competition when all said and done... I would say play our fringe squad players but we are down to the bare bones as it is.  

Caley Thistle beat us 7-1 in July 2013 when Richie Foran was Captain and Aberdeen beat us 7-0 in June 2014 days after Sheerin left to move to Aberdeen.

Saturday hurt, but ICT pumped Dunfermline 5-1 (who are also a very good team) and that was our 8th game in 27 days.  Part time players who have to juggle their careers and travel - it all takes its toll.   Ricky, Ryan and Jimmy Scott are probably in the top 5 of our best players.  They were a huge loss.  

Huge difference in both teams.  When your opposition have a national goalkeeper returning from 8 weeks away at a European championship…..night and day.  Inverness are a good side and Jake Mulraney looks like he will terrorise defenders all season long.  

We need to find the net early.  Our last two goals against which came against Utd and Aberdeen were both in the dying seconds.   Hopefully Kane gets to start.  His pace up front should hopefully create problems.    We just can't afford to lose anyone else through injury before Saturday kicks off.

The Caley thistle game seems to have disappeared from my memory. Thankfully. I've just googled it and still can't remember it. I do remember the penalty shoot out game though. Aberdeen 7-0 was with about 8 signed players in a pre season friendly I think?

It does sound like a really good Caley team but if we were to draw them in the Scottish later on in the season I reckon we would acquit ourselves so much better.

Anyway I'm happy with the players and squad we have, think we need an addition at centre half and another striking option which will hopefully come on loan.

4 hours ago, lichtie36nilhello said:

As long as the confidence is not to dented after Saturday, we should be in for a far better season than last. I would not swap our squad for any other in League 2... I would like to win on Tuesday but it really is a nothing competition when all said and done... I would say play our fringe squad players but we are down to the bare bones as it is.  

We have a pretty much full squad to choose from bar Craig Wilson presuming Malin is also back!

Losing 7-0 to Inverness was fairly predictable to be honest, most of us expected similar considering the circumstances. We can't be comparing a meaningful game against Celtic in the Scottish Cup and other games like Hearts & Hibs to Saturday, they're absolute opposites in many ways. In one off cup games like those mentioned everything is to play for, every player is going to lift their game and you're playing a big team at a top ground with a full squad available. On Saturday, we were coming off the back of a run of 8 games in 31 days with many of the players we started with playing in all or most of these games although of course over half of these were friendlies. Our squad was absolute bare bones, missing 3 of our best players and with the team basically comprising of players carrying knocks, players who've been playing 2 games a week for a month and backup players. We would've struggled in our own division to not get humped, let alone against a team 3 levels above us who're miles fitter, faster and stronger. I always expect Arbroath players to give 100% every week and I'm sure they did on Saturday but we can hardly expect them to be raising their game that wee bit more for this like they would a Scottish Cup tie v Celtic on TV, considering we've nothing to play for and they know their on a hiding to nothing.

If you could have picked pretty much the absolute worse circumstances for us to be playing a game in at this time of year in this competition it would have been Saturday. Shit happens, if this happened in a league match it would be embarrassing, and frankly a total disgrace but in my opinion these really are rather exceptional circumstances.

I don't consider Saturday's result overly embarrassing if people actually look beyond the score and consider all of the above. Losing to Inverness U20s with our first choice first 11 would be very, very embarrassing. I would care FAR more about that than Saturday. This competition is a fucking joke, and getting beaten by development teams will give the impression it's a good idea to the puddle drinkers that implemented it. Anyone who supports us diddes and says they don't care about the games tomorrow absolutely baffles me. I can assure you you'll be caring if we're playing development teams every second week in standard league games with this precursor showing how wonderfully well that would work and how competitive it would be.

We have a pretty much full squad to choose from bar Craig Wilson presuming Malin is also back!

Losing 7-0 to Inverness was fairly predictable to be honest, most of us expected similar considering the circumstances. We can't be comparing a meaningful game against Celtic in the Scottish Cup and other games like Hearts & Hibs to Saturday, they're absolute opposites in many ways. In one off cup games like those mentioned everything is to play for, every player is going to lift their game and you're playing a big team at a top ground with a full squad available. On Saturday, we were coming off the back of a run of 8 games in 31 days with many of the players we started with playing in all or most of these games although of course over half of these were friendlies. Our squad was absolute bare bones, missing 3 of our best players and with the team basically comprising of players carrying knocks, players who've been playing 2 games a week for a month and backup players. We would've struggled in our own division to not get humped, let alone against a team 3 levels above us who're miles fitter, faster and stronger. I always expect Arbroath players to give 100% every week and I'm sure they did on Saturday but we can hardly expect them to be raising their game that wee bit more for this like they would a Scottish Cup tie v Celtic on TV, considering we've nothing to play for and they know their on a hiding to nothing.

If you could have picked pretty much the absolute worse circumstances for us to be playing a game in at this time of year in this competition it would have been Saturday. Shit happens, if this happened in a league match it would be embarrassing, and frankly a total disgrace but in my opinion these really are rather exceptional circumstances.

I don't consider Saturday's result overly embarrassing if people actually look beyond the score and consider all of the above. Losing to Inverness U20s with our first choice first 11 would be very, very embarrassing. I would care FAR more about that than Saturday. This competition is a fucking joke, and getting beaten by development teams will give the impression it's a good idea to the puddle drinkers that implemented it. Anyone who supports us diddes and says they don't care about the games tomorrow absolutely baffles me. I can assure you you'll be caring if we're playing development teams every second week in standard league games with this precursor showing how wonderfully well that would work and how competitive it would be.

Looking forward to our trip buddy. Hopefully the bar at the stadium will be open

17 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Looking forward to our trip buddy. Hopefully the bar at the stadium will be open

Stadium bar opens at 6.15pm tomorrow according to the ICT Twitter account 

Hope hester gets a run up front. Prunty has been disappointing so far

Think Prunty has shown some great touches and moments, I think he'll be good in our league, when he's up against Prem/Championship teams though the game doesn't really suit him and Hester's pace is probably the better option to stretch the games out and take pressure off us. Love his attitude too, think his experience will be important for us.

I see we are almost 3/1, anyone know anything about Inverness Under 20s?

I've put us Clyde Queens Park and Cove on... 33/1! Obviously depends on how we and others approach these games but that's some value.

Funny how someone like Ricky Little has probably taken a day and half off his work for this and will soon be if not already making his way up to Inverness.... Just hope everybody gets through it without an injury or suspension so we are ready for Saturday.

If Arbroath put out a full strength team, with Scott, Little and McCord returning... then they'll win I reckon. Despite there being 3 or 4 players in our U20 squad having the potential to feature in our first team this season the vast majority would be bullied on the pitch.

I've stuck some cash on an Arbroath win since the odds are so good. 

Ooft that's a proper youth side from us there.  Is that a grand total of zero first team appearances in the whole squad?

Archived