SummerSlam 2016

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still can't really work out what Summerslam was to me, particularly whether it was good or bad.  There were definitely some great moments, particularly Cena/Styles, but as soon as the tag team title match came on, it took a massive turn to the odd.

I think there's now a decent opportunity to put together an interesting story with regards to Cena.  When he was in the corner staring in disbelief at Styles, you could paint him as believing that he doesn't really have it anymore.  And not in the way "oh this has been such a bad year I only beat Brock" kind of story that he had between matches with the Rock, a proper one where he questions his place in the company.  With him presumably not a full time star now, they could definitely sell it.  But then the leaving of the wristband in the ring - is he working everyone with that, or did it really mean something?

I honestly saw a double turn coming with Sasha and Charlotte, especially with her pre-show interview.  Unfortunately they've just gone back to the same old dynamic with her chasing.  It isn't bad, but I don't think Sasha makes a very good face.  She's a brilliant heel, but her face range appears to be just smiling.  Lovely smile and all, but she'd be a better option as a heel.  Should have turned her, then had Bayley debut and feud with her over how she's changed.

A few solid matches in the first part of the show, but nothing spectacular.  Like I said, as soon as the New Day came out, it started to get weird.  A disqualification win for the faces, Jon Stewart not really selling, Big E drinking "formaldehyde"...it was the comedy "bit" I guess, but not sure they should have used one of the titles that has been pretty over to do that.  And the Club must be wishing they'd never jumped ship now.  They've had nothing.

The two title matches were just a bit...meh.  Particularly the WWE one.  It seemed like the Ambrose/Ziggler one finished before it was meant to, like there was just five minutes of action missing.  Not a bad match by any means, but not really that good.  The Masters of the All Red Belts Universe title match was better, but again it was just missing something to make it great.  I'd say Finn's injury slowed it down, but I didn't really get that at the time.  The crowd seemed more inclined to shit on the belt rather than cheer the action, which probably hurt it.  I'm not completely against having the titles that early in the show, but the earlier you put them, the more people are going to believe they don't really matter.

The 6-woman match deserved better too.  Again not a bad match, but even with the early pop for Nikki, the crowd just seemed bored by it all.  Probably didn't help that Nikki was getting face pops every time she appeared, while trying to work as the same tired heel act she was doing before.  

The US Title "match" would've been fine had they not given away a very good match the RAW before.  Why not switch the two?  Have the brawl on RAW, then a great match on PPV?  It worked as a segment, but this was deep into the 3rd hour of a 4 hour show.  Nobody cared.

Then the main event.  I have no issue with them putting this here, as before anything happened, it was probably the most deserving.  Neither title should have taken precedence over the other, and Brock remains a rare attraction.  But then it started, and of course it's just another Brock Lesnar match.  I used to love seeing him purely suplex people, because I thought it never got old seeing this guy throw guys not much smaller than him clean across the ring.  But it's gotten old now.  Brock matches follow a very simple formula, and when you pair him with someone like Orton who notoriously doesn't like his matches to be too away from the pattern, it was probably never going to be the best match.  He got in a bit more offence than some but not by much.  I do wonder what the finish was supposed to be, because I don't think they wrote that Brock should try and kill Orton.  Even when Eddie bladed so deep that he passed out after in that match with JBL, I don't think it had the same impact, because blood was pretty commonplace, and blading was just something that happened.  When Orton rolled over and you saw all the blood...ooft.  Then I wonder how much after that was improvised as part of the show, and how much was Brock.  I'd imagine hitting the guy after the match was stopped will get him some considerable heat, and although I'm sure it's just a work, there were times when Heyman looked genuinely terrified of what was happening.  

Unfortunately, instead of making something out of that finish, Brock's probably gone until the Rumble at least.  Nothing was made of it on RAW, and I doubt it will be on Smackdown.  Shame, because it was one of the more interesting things.

Well, a short bit was made of it on RAW when Stephanie said there's going to be repercussions for the Shane thing. I don't think they needed to do much else. Orton went in there and got his arse handed to him. That's the story in a nutshell. Lesnar remains a fucking monster. I'm interested to see how much they give Shane against Lesnar, but I don't imagine it'll be much. His run was supposed to be short term anyways, so I imagine Lesnar will be back for Survivor Series to wipe him off the face of the earth.

1 minute ago, Randy Giles said:

Well, a short bit was made of it on RAW when Stephanie said there's going to be repercussions for the Shane thing. I don't think they needed to do much else. Orton went in there and got his arse handed to him. That's the story in a nutshell. Lesnar remains a fucking monster. I'm interested to see how much they give Shane against Lesnar, but I don't imagine it'll be much. His run was supposed to be short term anyways, so I imagine Lesnar will be back for Survivor Series to wipe him off the face of the earth.

Fair enough - I only went by the Bleacher Report recap, didn't actually watch it.  Even if Brock was going into business for himself, he knows he's pretty much untouchable.  

Are they really going to go Shane/Brock?  It's hard to tell how much of the ending was scripted - was it supposed to end that way without the blood?  Was it supposed to be some other way but with Shane always coming down?  If they are going with that, then...why?  Ambrose savaged Brock for not wanting to do much in their WM match, is he really going to want to go to the crazy lengths that someone like Shane needs to entertain?  

I also doubt Shane will really go.  I know it was supposed to be a short run, but unless they've got something planned, then I doubt they're going to drop one side of the McMahon story so soon after the brand split.  Having said that, I could get totally on board with it if Lesnar takes out Shane, HHH comes back to run Smackdown (Bryan and HHH reunited in a way).  Could have Shane come back for one more match at WM for control or some other completely needless stipulation to keep HHH away from anyone worthwhile, then you've got a story.

Well, Shane took an F5. I'm fairly sure that was part of the plan. Reckon we'll be left with Stephanie and Bryan on the two brands with Foley and Shane buggering off in the near future.

Shane doesn't really need to do much against him other than get suplexed about the place and take a ridiculous bump.

Just now, Randy Giles said:

Well, Shane took an F5. I'm fairly sure that was part of the plan. Reckon we'll be left with Stephanie and Bryan on the two brands with Foley and Shane buggering off in the near future.

Shane doesn't really need to do much against him other than get suplexed about the place and take a ridiculous bump.

True.  Having just Stephanie and Bryan would make more sense, but HHH will be back at some point I imagine.

1 minute ago, Dave1875 said:

iirc Triple H does wrestle in quite a few Live shows in between televised events. Am I wrong in saying he faced Ambrose for the title not long after Ambrose won it?

That was a Network special though. Lesnar does a few of those and he's as part time as they come.

Just saw the video of the move that injured Balor.  Another "buckle" bomb from Rollins, same one that injured Sting although this time on the barricade.  I'm not for a minute suggesting that he's an unsafe working, but surely when you've retired one guy and put another out for months you need to retire the move.  

Archived