Strange Signing

SaltyTON

Mart Poom signs on loan for Arsenal until January, that'll make Jens Lehmann feel really good about himself! :lol::lol::lol:

Other news from today...

1520: Everton have still to decide whether to spend £2m on injured Dutch winger Andy van der Meyde, and they are also chasing a striker.

1500: Republic of Ireland international forward Connolly joins Wigan from Leicester for £3m.

1330: Tottenham complete the signing of defender Lee Young-Pyo from PSV Eindhoven.

1305: Blackburn have signed Georgian defender Zurab Khizanishvili from Rangers on a season long-loan.

The deal includes an option for Blackburn to buy the player between now and the end of May.

1245: Middlesbrough striker Joseph-Desire Job moves to Saudi Arabian side Al Ittihad on a year's loan.

1215: Simao Sabrosa appears set to join Liverpool from Benfica after the Portuguese Football Federation gave permission for the forward to undergo a medical at Anfield.

PSV Eindhoven defender Lee Young-Pyo has signed for Tottenham, according to his agent.

1200: Owen signs a four-year deal with Newcastle, who fought off Liverpool's interest in the 25-year-old striker.

1045: Middlesbrough defender Michael Reiziger is expected to sign for Dutch side PSV Eindhoven.

1015: Jenas completes his switch from Newcastle to Tottenham.

1000: Tottenham are at the centre of the day's early activity.

The Londoners are set to bring in Jenas for £8m after Newcastle confirmed the clubs had reached agreement over the midfielder.

But defender Edman is on the verge of joining Rennes, with the French team claiming on their website that the deal has been completed.

0900: A busy day is expected as clubs scramble to make acquisitions and offload players before the transfer window shuts.

Among those set to be involved is Aston Villa's Nolberto Solano, who could re-sign for Newcastle.

And Tottenham's Robbie Keane could switch to Everton, while the Londoners are considering bringing in Cristiano Lucarelli from Italian side Livorno.

Celtic are waiting to learn whether China defender Du Wei will complete an £850,000 transfer from Shanghai Shenhua.

Mart Poom signs on loan for Arsenal until January, that'll make Jens Lehmann feel really good about himself! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Other news from today...

658013[/snapback]

With Lehmann suspended for the first two CL games there had to be a move made or stick with Almunia.

Arsenal do not have the same amount of cash available like Man U & Chelsea.

Thats cos there diddy  :D

659857[/snapback]

No it because The Arsenal Board have decided they cannot compete with Chelski financially at the moment so have scaled back budgets for the next two seasons until they are swinging at Ashburton Grove in their new Emirates Stadium home. ;)

Seems like common sense to me, though also means they are unlikely to be winning the Prem next two seasons.

No it because The Arsenal Board have decided they cannot compete with Chelski financially at the moment so have scaled back budgets for the next two seasons until  they are swinging at Ashburton Grove in their new Emirates Stadium home.  ;)

Seems like common sense to me, though also means they are unlikely to be winning the Prem next two seasons.

660928[/snapback]

Not just over the next two seasons! Arsenal have not been able to compete financially with Man U (& now Chelsea) over many years.

£44m net transfer budget over 9 years under Wenger! Chelsea have bought two players to sit on the bench for more than that this summer.

Also doesn't mean giving up on the title. Arsenal are the best footballing side & Chelsea will not hjave as good as season.

why is Lehmann suspended? was he sent off?

661367[/snapback]

He threw water over the referee after the Bayern game last season.

He threw water over the referee after the Bayern game last season.

661913[/snapback]

So he learned the petulance from the french then ;):lol::lol:

actually think its a decent reserve signing. Poom is a good keeper.

Arsenal do not have the same amount of cash available like Man U & Chelsea.

659596[/snapback]

While I agree with that, I'm sure I read yesterday that Wenger has a £30m transfer kitty available to him in the January window. Perhaps, he will spend some serious cash after all.

FWIW, Poom is a decent keeper and is at least as good as Lehmann IMO.

Guest SaintGareth

Poom is a good keeper, IMO stick him in the number one spot, he is no where near as complacent as Lehmann. I remember him pulling off a few miraculous saves when he was at Derby.

While I agree with that, I'm sure I read yesterday that Wenger has a £30m transfer kitty available to him in the January window.  Perhaps, he will spend some serious cash after all.

FWIW, Poom is a decent keeper and is at least as good as Lehmann IMO.

663438[/snapback]

There is money available but Wenger had the chance to spend last summer, winter & this summer but has only signed Hleb.

If the correct player is avaible they will sign him. They wanted Wright-Phillips but were not prepared to get into a bidding war with Chelsea, as they could not win.

There is money available but Wenger had the chance to spend last summer, winter & this summer but has only signed Hleb.

If the correct player is avaible they will sign him. They wanted Wright-Phillips but were not prepared to get into a bidding war with Chelsea, as they could not win.

663532[/snapback]

Money is available of course, but a decision has been made at Board level that they will not compete with Chelski in the transfer market. They also accept that they are second dog in London for the present time in term of pulling power and money. Common sense policy, IMHO, they are consolidating before having another push when they're in the new stadium and have increased revenue streams.

They will always try and strengthen but their transfer budget has been reduced for this season and next. Their realsitic target is now qualification for the Chumps league as a minimun.

Archived