Townies

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The name Townie has nothing to do with football and has been used for many a decade. It originates from the villages out with Dunfermline when they refer to those who live in Dunfermline - Townies.

The Wee Team I believe was from a fanzine called Sammy lived with Bert & Dick referring to the Rovers at the time, who, to be fair, were considerably shitter than they are now.

Cities were originally defined by having a cathedral, or abbey. Hence Dunfermline was / is a city. The townie thing I think came from Cowdenbeath, whose supporters really dislike the Pars, probably as an attempt to p***k their perceived pomposity. Raith fans only started using Townies a few years ago.

Raith fans only started using Townies a few years ago.

What do you constitute as a few years ago? They were certainly known as the Townies during the millennium derby season and that was 16 years ago.

As much as this will invoke replies of 'tragic, cringe, shite patter, lol' I've heard a few folk give Dunfermline nicknames such as 'the zebras' and 'the barcodes'. The Townies will do though, quite like that one for some reason. 

20 hours ago, DAFC. said:

There's many theories. I like to think it's based on the Gaelic translation for Dunfermline: Dun Parlain

This is the first time I've hard this theory and it makes the most sense of all I've heard.

20 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

I've never met a Pars fan in my entire life that thinks Dunfermline is a city. Even if this was a serious bone of contention, Kirkcaldy is also a town. Therefore making being from a town an insult makes no sense.

Yeah, the whole townies thing has baffled me a bit too, I'm always unsure whether we're supposed to be offended by it or not.

Still better than the barcode patter though, christ that was awful.

As much as this will invoke replies of 'tragic, cringe, shite patter, lol' I've heard a few folk give Dunfermline nicknames such as 'the zebras' and 'the barcodes'. The Townies will do though, quite like that one for some reason. 

"Townies" doesn't bother me, especially since it could construed as aspirational, when uttered by lino licking, village idiot types who follow the Wee Team. (That ought to do it).

P.S. Hope I get a free pie or program included in my exuberant cost of my ticket. Or has Starks been remodelled on the San Siro?

"Townies" doesn't bother me, especially since it could construed as aspirational, when uttered by lino licking, village idiot types who follow the Wee Team. (That ought to do it).

P.S. Hope I get a free pie or program included in my exuberant cost of my ticket. Or has Starks been remodelled on the San Siro?

Your £20 is much appreciated, you Townie hoor :)

At least they do a student gate for scrounging b*****ds like myself. Tenner for a Fife Derby is v dece.

I'm getting my Student of Life with the mission statement Learn Something New Everyday, matriculation card made up as I write this.

Unfortunately, as I have a job I have to pay, and for the kids who don't work.

2 minutes ago, Black and White Tragic said:

I'm getting my Student of Life with the mission statement Learn Something New Everyday, matriculation card made up as I write this.

Unfortunately, as I have a job I have to pay, and for the kids who don't work.

If they don't work take them back to the shop.

Yeah, the whole townies thing has baffled me a bit too, I'm always unsure whether we're supposed to be offended by it or not.

Still better than the barcode patter though, christ that was awful.

Barcodes it is then. I'd prefer skunks but Morton have made that one their own. Are there any other derogatory, smelly or dull black and white things?

Archived