Irn Bru Cup 3rd Round

The Naitch

Just now, Mattmc said:

Not really, I love it. As a fan of Stranraer I take in interest in any game they play. 

I'd agree that this seasons competition is farcical but, I still love seeing Stranraer win in it and hope they go as far as possible. I'd presume this would be the attitude of any normal fan. 

I see others going on about boycotting. That's an easy excuse for part time supporters not to bother their arse going. 

Any normal fan, lol.

Good for you but stop trying to make yourself out better than any fan that doesn't give a f**k about this farce cup.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, Mattmc said:

Not really, I love it. As a fan of Stranraer I take in interest in any game they play. 

I'd agree that this seasons competition is farcical but, I still love seeing Stranraer win in it and hope they go as far as possible. I'd presume this would be the attitude of any normal fan. 

I see others going on about boycotting. That's an easy excuse for part time supporters not to bother their arse going. 

I won't be at our game against Morton because of this joke setup. I'll be at Brechin on Saturday, which is textbook part-time supporter behaviour.

37 minutes ago, Mattmc said:

Total pish. I've been at our two matches but I know plenty of others who are regulars home and away every week who haven't gone out of principle. They will all be on the supporters' bus to Brechin on Saturday

27 minutes ago, an86 said:

I won't be at our game against Morton because of this joke setup. I'll be at Brechin on Saturday, which is textbook part-time supporter behaviour.

i agree the set up is crap but, if you drawn Morton last season would you have went? Surely for every supporter through the gate is benifitial to your club, in that they'll receive a percentage of gate money. 

41 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Any normal fan, lol.

Good for you but stop trying to make yourself out better than any fan that doesn't give a f**k about this farce cup.

How would things work if every fan went to big games then? Closed doors u till the semi final stage?

Farce cup? Do your farce club stand much chance of winning any more national trophies? Might be big boys in League One but don't think Livingston are regarded as much elsewhere. 

38 minutes ago, Mick1867 said:

Total pish. I've been at our two matches but I know plenty of others who are regulars home and away every week who haven't gone out of principle. They will all be on the supporters' bus to Brechin on Saturday

But couldn't support their team in the cup? 

9 minutes ago, Mattmc said:

i agree the set up is crap but, if you drawn Morton last season would you have went? Surely for every supporter through the gate is benifitial to your club, in that they'll receive a percentage of gate money. 

Attending this cup only encourages them.  Short term loss to the club for a longer term gaining in getting these U20 teams binned the way I see.  Plus, I doubt an extra 50 or so fans showing up at Stair Park will make the slightest difference to our budget.

Blind, happy clapping support doesn't make you a better fan than others.

14 minutes ago, Mattmc said:

Yep, I'd have been there last season. However, sadly, I see no other way of changing this setup than people not turning up.

I'll never in a million years criticise anyone for going to support their team at any game and know that many folk simply will not miss games, which is commendable. However, I don't see how this format doesn't return next year if crowds hold up relatively well.

I don't like missing games if I'm able to go, but don't really see any other option. As I've said previously about games in this tournament, I hope we hammer whoever we play in front of as small a crowd as possible. I'm aware that the club would take a financial hit, but it's worth taking in the longer term if we can change things, rather stand and accept the shit sandwiches served up by the SPFL.

Hope we hump these bigots, even if it is their youth team and send the last of the u20s shite out of the competition. Would usually want to see a big away crowd for the money but they'll probably just break our seats so no thanks.

How would things work if every fan went to big games then? Closed doors u till the semi final stage?

Farce cup? Do your farce club stand much chance of winning any more national trophies? Might be big boys in League One but don't think Livingston are regarded as much elsewhere. 

There's no written rule that fans have to go to a R1 game in order to attend a semi-final or a final. It's happens in every other cup competition in world football. Just like there's nothing stopping total happy clappers like you from attending every game.

Your second point is also laughable. Just because we have a higher chance of winning a trophy doesn't mean it isn't a total farce.

1 hour ago, Afro said:

There's no written rule that fans have to go to a R1 game in order to attend a semi-final or a final. It's happens in every other cup competition in world football. Just like there's nothing stopping total happy clappers like you from attending every game.

Your second point is also laughable. Just because we have a higher chance of winning a trophy doesn't mean it isn't a total farce.

Just don't understand why a 'supporter' wouldn't support their team. 

2 hours ago, an86 said:

Yep, I'd have been there last season. However, sadly, I see no other way of changing this setup than people not turning up.

I'll never in a million years criticise anyone for going to support their team at any game and know that many folk simply will not miss games, which is commendable. However, I don't see how this format doesn't return next year if crowds hold up relatively well.

I don't like missing games if I'm able to go, but don't really see any other option. As I've said previously about games in this tournament, I hope we hammer whoever we play in front of as small a crowd as possible. I'm aware that the club would take a financial hit, but it's worth taking in the longer term if we can change things, rather stand and accept the shit sandwiches served up by the SPFL.

Are people really kidding themselves that this format will be binned in a year and we will go back to what we had? Thats not happening. As I have said before, if fans decide not to support this (and I presume it will be looked at over two or three years depending how long the tv deal is) then I fully expect them just to bin the Challenge Cup. Its unlikely to get sufficient commercial income to be worthwhile under the old format.

14 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Are people really kidding themselves that this format will be binned in a year and we will go back to what we had? Thats not happening. As I have said before, if fans decide not to support this (and I presume it will be looked at over two or three years depending how long the tv deal is) then I fully expect them just to bin the Challenge Cup. Its unlikely to get sufficient commercial income to be worthwhile under the old format.

I'm sure most folk are well aware of that. As it stands, the Challenge Cup is already dead, and the only issue is whether or not further competitions will go down the same route.

I take issue with your last sentence, though. I don't believe the Challenge Cup was being run at a loss, and our clubs need to understand that chasing novelty bucks from advertisers is going to hurt them in the long term when their fans lose interest. This isn't the English Premiership, where the interests of the people who turn up are a secondary concern, and it's never going to be. If it's 'worthwhile' to us, that's all that matters.

4 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I take issue with your last sentence, though. I don't believe the Challenge Cup was being run at a loss, and our clubs need to understand that chasing novelty bucks from advertisers is going to hurt them in the long term when their fans lose interest. This isn't the English Premiership, where the interests of the people who turn up are a secondary concern, and it's never going to be. If it's 'worthwhile' to us, that's all that matters.

The Challenge Cup was absolutely run at a significant loss in the old SFL days. It was subsidised from central funds. It has stood on its own since the SPFL came about but did so with much lower prize money and in a time when Rangers presence significantly increased commercial interest in it. That is no longer the case. The SPFL wont subsidise it. They find ways to make it viable or it will fold. That is the reality.

2 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

The Challenge Cup was absolutely run at a significant loss in the old SFL days. It was subsidised from central funds. It has stood on its own since the SPFL came about but did so with much lower prize money and in a time when Rangers presence significantly increased commercial income in it. That is no longer the case. The SPFL wont subsidise it. They find ways to make it viable or it will fold. That is the reality.

How on Earth did they manage to make a loss on an extra set of games?  :wacko:

Either way, it's dead as the old competition now. If it's genuinely a drain on the resources of the clubs involved, then bury it and move on, instead of tarting Granny's corpse up with make-up and a mini-skirt.

3 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

How on Earth did they manage to make a loss on an extra set of games?  :wacko:

Either way, it's dead as the old competition now. If it's genuinely a drain on the resources of the clubs involved, then bury it and move on, instead of tarting Granny's corpse up with make-up and a mini-skirt.

tumblr_lpbh73nPfg1qiwa09o1_400.gif#monty

Archived