Airdrie v Stranraer

Hard to take losing that. Played ok and dominated for the last hour. Didn't take chances though. Bad goal to lose though was clearly off side. Penalty was a definite hand ball, called it myself a fee seconds before the award but referee and assistant main stand side were very poor. Malky has been our top performer by miles to date but it was an awful penalty. Our centre defence is still a concern and not sure Bell and McKeown compliment each other with a lack of pace. Agnew was disappointing again as was loaner Thomson on the right. Young Turner has to start, we can't keep holding him back. Think both sides will be between 3rd and 5th come May but the top 2 are fighting out for the title already and no one will get near them.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't understand why Schmidt was taken off at half time either thought he looked positive and had a good work rate.

Maybe due to the injury he got 2 minutes before halftime which required treatment and which, when allowed back on the pitch, he didn't look like he'd recovered from.

Or maybe it was tactical.

22 minutes ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

Maybe due to the injury he got 2 minutes before halftime which required treatment and which, when allowed back on the pitch, he didn't look like he'd recovered from.

Or maybe it was tactical.

didn't see he was injured as I nipped away to get a pie early fair enough in that case then.

didn't see he was injured as I nipped away to get a pie early fair enough in that case then.

He was sitting up at the back of the stand with the young boys in the second half - he's definitely injured. He had to be helped down the stairs at full time.

Hopefully not serious.

Dream on with that one. 

You were barely out of your own half after you scored. Stranraer weren't great by any means but dominated territory and possession, had more efforts and chances and deserved a draw.

Airdrie were the better team we opened up the stranrear defense more and our chances were more clear cut. Ryan and Russell will admit by their own high standards they could have scored another goal or 2 between them. Stranrear had a penalty which I would need to the highlights to se if it was a penalty. The Stranrear player had a leg breaker of a challenge and others refs would have sent him off. I said at beginning of season I thought stranrear would struggle this year so far I'm proven to be correct.

Last season's team would have thrown that game away in the last ten minutes.  It wasn't pretty at times, especially in the second half, but we wanted three points and we got them.  I think that in general how people perceive the second half of a match colours how they perceive the entire game, but we shouldn't forget that Airdrie were dominant the first half, and worth the lead.  The goal was, as the picture shows, clearly legit.  Stranraer had a couple of close chances - Gibson's looping shot onto the bar, and another that hit the bar as well, but so did Airdrie.  One that sticks out from the first half was when the rather rotund fellow in the Stranraer goal (whom I assume they found in a pub somewhere.  No way is that man a senior footballer) spilled a rather innocuous-looking cross and should have been punished.

We didn't play well in the second half, and were lucky that Stranraer were actually pretty honking in attack. We were clearly the dominant side in the first half, though, and overall were worth the three points. Scott Stewart played well. Boateng looked more assured (albeit against a weak attack).  Conroy impresses with every game - looks like being a cracking signing for us.  Fitzpatrick is much better in defence than in midfield, and Ryan, if he keeps this form up, will score jobby-loads of goals for us this year.

There's work to do, however. Brown seems too easily pushed about, and won't always get past them on pace alone.  Stewart, despite a good game overall, needs to work on his crossing.
Still, three points and a clean sheet will do me fine for today.

Also - well done to all involved in getting the Legends banner done.  It looks really good, and it's good to have that there. 

I'll admit I've not noticed Brown getting pushed of the ball it's not to say he doesn't. However if it's area to improve good because I think we have allready have a really good player in Brown and I believe he's going to create a goalscoring chance or score when he's on the pitch.  I believe at times this year he will go on a we goalscoring runs but creating is just as crucial.

Archived