Airdrie v Stranraer

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, onlythelonely1 said:

How is the league stronger this year? Dunfermline and Ayr are probably better teams than Alloa and livi.

Two full time teams and alloa signing what are regarded as the best part time players available so have to say I disagree with you. Dunfermline and Ayr are not doing well in the championship.

3 hours ago, thomas 62 said:
23 hours ago, TrueDiamond said:

Playing at home and blatant time wasting to protect a disputed lead, don't fair well for the diamonds this season.

Disputed by whom?  By horses in Estonia, perhaps, but certainly not anyone who saw the game yesterday.  I know a couple of your defenders had a wee greet to the linesman, but the highlights are as conclusive as can be - the goal was entirely legitimate.  You then got the softest penalty ever awarded in football - so soft that not one of your players appealed for it, and when the ref blew his whistle, your number 9 made a "who, me?" gesture, obviously thinking he was being penalised for something.  

Just now, thomas 62 said:

What game were you at?

Airdrie game. The first opportunity we had Russell through on goal and should he have squared to Ryan for a tap in. The 2nd goal was onside by a couple of yards. Ryan then had clear apportunity when he rounded the keeper all in all that's 3 clear opportunities. Stranrear had half a couple of half chances and two clear chances and one which was dubvious penalty. We opened stranrear up.more defensively.

18 minutes ago, Tulloch Gorum said:

Disputed by whom?  By horses in Estonia, perhaps, but certainly not anyone who saw the game yesterday.  I know a couple of your defenders had a wee greet to the linesman, but the highlights are as conclusive as can be - the goal was entirely legitimate.  You then got the softest penalty ever awarded in football - so soft that not one of your players appealed for it, and when the ref blew his whistle, your number 9 made a "who, me?" gesture, obviously thinking he was being penalised for something.  

Take off your  tinted glasses.

Airdrie game. The first opportunity we had Russell through on goal and should he have squared to Ryan for a tap in. The 2nd goal was onside by a couple of yards. Ryan then had clear apportunity when he rounded the keeper all in all that's 3 clear opportunities. Stranrear had half a couple of half chances and two clear chances and one which was dubvious penalty. We opened stranrear up.more defensively.

2 nd goal ? it was 1 nil

Hang on, Thomas - are you saying that the Airdrie goal wasn't onside, and/or that the penalty you were given (and then missed - an awful shot, really) wasn't a very soft one?  I don't know how either of those could be argued, but let's hear it, if that's what you mean. 

Two full time teams and alloa signing what are regarded as the best part time players available so have to say I disagree with you. Dunfermline and Ayr are not doing well in the championship.

Who cares about how Dunfermline and Ayr are doing this season? I'm talking about how strong they were last season

2 hours ago, carlukediamond said:

As for time wasting, don't think we did, but ask yourself if stranraer were 1 up would they have employed the alleged same tactics.

The time wasting was blatant, at one point an Airdrie player kicked the ball half the length of the park after the ref had blown his whistle. Could class the time wasting as professional I suppose, players knowing they're up against it and are trying to see the game out.

Never understood why so many people get defensive about it or take offense when someone accuses their team of time wasting. As you say Stranraer would of done the same.   

Time wasting's part of the game.  If you're defending a narrow lead, of course you want to wind down the clock a bit, and that's fine.  As long as it doesn't stray into actually cheating (feigning injury, for instance), it's just normal gamesmanship.  Equally, fans can get very antsy about players taking time before a throw in or free kick if it's 1-0 with five minutes to go, but they wouldn't even notice the same amount of time, or more, being taken if the game was only five minutes in.  

Maybe worth pointing out, though, that for all our nefarious time wasting, we didn't make any late substitutions at all, which is a pretty common time wasting tactic.  

Just now, onlythelonely1 said:
Just now, Cooper81 said:

Who cares about how Dunfermline and Ayr are doing this season? I'm talking about how strong they were last season

Dunfermline were full time last year and had a far bigger squad, they weren't anything special we beat them. Ayr werent anything special. Airdrie are a far stronger team than last year.

In the past couple of seasons in this league the teams who generally finish in top 4 have 2 stand out players within their team in that regards players who can clearly play at a higher level. Examples mccalister Peterhead Gibson at stranrear however now when you look at livvy alloa and at Airdrie we have Russell Conroy ryan. Livvy and alloa are similar to ourselves with 3 or 4 standout players. This year I feel stranrear (Gibson malcolm) Peterhead (McAllister) won't be enough when they come up against livvy alloa and airdrie who have more quality within their starting 11 and full squads.

Archived