Budapest to Bratislava by train

Moo

Slim chance I know but has anyone ever done the above? Looking at train line Europe etc and not really sure what train stations to go to/get on etc. I might find it more straight forward on the day when I get to Budapest but I was just putting a message out to see if anyone had done the above.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

There's loads of direct trains and it takes less than three hours.

Get on at Keleti (main station in the city centre) and off at Bratislava. All direct trains will go to Bratislava's main station in the city centre. debahn.com is handy for looking at times.

Using any of the other stations in the cities would involve changes, I reckon. No need to be doing that when there's a fast and easy direct connection.

16 minutes ago, Moo said:

Slim chance I know but has anyone ever done the above? Looking at train line Europe etc and not really sure what train stations to go to/get on etc. I might find it more straight forward on the day when I get to Budapest but I was just putting a message out to see if anyone had done the above.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Aye a couple of times,theres a train every hour and takes just under 3 hrs from budapest keleti https://www.mavcsoport.hu/en

We are heading to Budapest next month but flying into Bratislava. From the research I've done. I think fares are €17.50. Not entirely sure if thats a single or return. I presume it will be a single though. The trains are very regular though. 

6 minutes ago, atfccfc said:

We are heading to Budapest next month but flying into Bratislava. From the research I've done. I think fares are €17.50. Not entirely sure if thats a single or return. I presume it will be a single though. The trains are very regular though. 

I did that route 4 weeks ago i paid 22euros for a return,the women in the train station at Bratislava spoke perfect english and sorted me out.You cant pre book that route for some reason though as i was looking to tie it in with my flights

Cheers lads.

We're basically flying from Stanstead to Budapest and then need to get to Bratislava soon as from the airport.

So basically what I've gathered, from the above. Get a train from Budapest airport to Keleti train station in Budapest then a direct train to Bratislava city centre train station?

7 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

I did that route 4 weeks ago i paid 22euros for a return,the women in the train station at Bratislava spoke perfect english and sorted me out.You cant pre book that route for some reason though as i was looking to tie it in with my flights

Thanks for that. Thats very reasonable fare. I have still written down the Slovak and Hungarian for 2 adult and 2 childrens return/single tickets to/from Budapest/Bratislava please and thank you.. Just to be on the safe side!

2 minutes ago, Moo said:

Cheers lads.

We're basically flying from Stanstead to Budapest and then need to get to Bratislava soon as from the airport.

So basically what I've gathered, from the above. Get a train from Budapest airport to Keleti train station in Budapest then a direct train to Bratislava city centre train station?

The train from the airport goes to one of the other train stations In budapest (Nyugati ) and also involves taking a bus to it,which you have to pay for, if theres a few of you just pre book a shared minibus type of transfer to Keleti station,its not that expensive

The train from the airport goes to one of the other train stations In budapest (Nyugati ) and also involves taking a bus to it,which you have to pay for, if theres a few of you just pre book a shared minibus type of transfer to Keleti station,its not that expensive

Cheers, much appreciated.

7 minutes ago, atfccfc said:

Thanks for that. Thats very reasonable fare. I have still written down the Slovak and Hungarian for 2 adult and 2 childrens return/single tickets to/from Budapest/Bratislava please and thank you.. Just to be on the safe side!

I just used the bus from the airport to the train station it drops you off right outside the station and is the number n61 and takes about 30 mins and cost me 1 euro

Out of interest, why are you leaving Budapest immediately to go to Bratislava? Seems a shame.

It doesn't have to be right away as I've only provisionally booked my hotel in Bratislava but it's for the Scotland game in October. It's like £30 from Glasgow-Stanstead-Budapest instead of paying about £120 straight to Bratislava.

Edit: flight arrives about 4pm and only away for the 3 days.

You can book the train both ways online now (as of December 2015), but you don't have to unless you want a reserved table. The staff at Keleti understand more English than amateur attempts at speaking Magyar (including mine) so I wouldn't worry about that.

Would second getting private transport from Budapest airport in a group as the public transport ultimately works but is a bit of a hassle. Bus to the nearest metro station and then you need to switch lines in the city centre IIRC to go back to Keleti.

• 3 weeks later...

Agree with everything above. While the train is enjoyable and easy to sort out, the extra hassle of switching from bus to metro etc and also the fact that you'll need Hungarian Florints for the small time you're in Budapest then Euros in Bratislava. I'd imagine prepaying for transport beforehand might be better. You can buy train tickets online on the MAV-Start website and get them printed at an automated ticket machine at Keleti Station which would mean you'd not need any HUF unless you were needing something at the station. The buffet car on the train accepts Euros for buying beers etc.

Archived