New 5 Nation Atlantic League + Balkan League

Glasgow Loon

21 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Bottom placed side from each nation plays the national champion of their nation for the right to remain in the lesser diddy league.

So if Hearts came third behind Celtic and Rangers (who would obviously win it alternately, every year). They'd still go down, while  lesser European diddies got to stay up? 

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

So if Hearts came third behind Celtic and Rangers (who would obviously win it alternately, every year). They'd still go down, while  lesser European diddies got to stay up? 

Aye. It would be a shame but it's the only way I can see that would prevent the competition becoming too lopsided in one nations favour.

Aye. It would be a shame but it's the only way I can see that would prevent the competition becoming too lopsided in one nations favour.

Couldn't we just let Rangers & Celtic f**k off and we'll have our own domestic league without them instead?

9 minutes ago, sjc said:

Couldn't we just let Rangers & Celtic f**k off and we'll have our own domestic league without them instead?

Probably not. The mindset that Scottish Football is the Old Firm is too entrenched in the minds of the folk who run our game at almost every level. I'm also not sure your average diddy team fan could handle a season where their side was shite and they didn't have Celtic or Rangers to complain about and use as a catch all excuse...

17 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Probably not. The mindset that Scottish Football is the Old Firm is too entrenched in the minds of the folk who run our game at almost every level. I'm also not sure your average diddy team fan could handle a season where their side was shite and they didn't have Celtic or Rangers to complain about and use as a catch all excuse...

If that's the case we should probably just pack it all in! :(

not sure your average diddy team fan could handle a season where their side was shite and they didn't have Celtic or Rangers to complain about and use as a catch all excuse...

I'm not sure Celtic or Rangers fans (or even their management teams) could handle a poor season without having the diddies to blame for a lack of competition.

4 minutes ago, sjc said:

If that's the case we should probably just pack it all in! :(

There isn't a lot wrong with the Scottish game. That mindset is the biggest issue by a considerable distance.

1 minute ago, lubo_blaha said:

I'm not sure Celtic or Rangers fans (or even their management teams) could handle a poor season without having the diddies to blame for a lack of competition.

3 cheeks of the same arse...

44 minutes ago, Ross. said:

There isn't a lot wrong with the Scottish game. That mindset is the biggest issue by a considerable distance.

3 cheeks of the same arse...

You're probably right there actually. The Scottish mindset.......you even see Andy Murray struggle with it out on court at times and he's the greatest sportsperson we've ever produced!

2 minutes ago, sjc said:

You're probably right there actually. The Scottish mindset.......you even see Andy Murray struggle with it out on court at times and he's the greatest sportsperson we've ever produced!

I was actually talking about the "Old Firm are essential" mindset, but if you want to get all pessimistic on me, knock yourself out!

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding the Balkan League... this topic has appeared on the Bert Kassies European football forum. (It may actually have arisen from someone wondering how the UK media would have such inside knowledge :lol:).

If posters there - several of them from the Balkans - are correct, this idea is really not what the Scottish football media has reported. There are a few officials and journalists who back the idea of a Balkan League it seems but the only thing even floating about as a loose concept is reported to be reinstating the Balkan Cup. (That ran from 1960 to 1994). Of course there have been many such tournaments - the Mitropa Cup, Texaco and Anglo-Scottish cups, Anglo-Italian Cup, Setanta Cup, CIS Cup, etc.

Some say it would be played on midweeks in the autumn for clubs who didn't qualify for UEFA competitions - other say it would be played on CL/EL midweeks in the spring, and could involve all clubs if they hadn't made it to CL/EL knockout stages, although I wonder if UEFA would allow that. I suppose it might be branded the "Balkan League" in the same way we have the "Champions League" and "Europa League", and in the past the "Royal League" in Scandanavia and the "Baltic League", which despite the names are actually cups.

Some posters there seem to think even that is unlikely to happen, or that it could be stopped by violence.

So while there is clearly some truth to the headline statement, the detail looks to be somewhat different.

Archived