Cumbernauld and Kilsyth under 19's

markmu66

We've lost around 8 teams this season from both leagues which is a real shame as it's totally devalued the league. We've lost 12pts because of it. Really should've had the sectional cup again to determine the league - could've saved a few teams that have struggled.

Having said that, likes of Carbrain were in a semi final of the league so sad that they had to fold. Totally agree there's a real lack of commitment at this age where too many players are lost to the game. Shame but the harsh reality.

The league cup section at the start of the season may have been the solution and might have saved a few teams that have struggled.
But all boys at this age are without doubt being drawn to other enjoyments so they get less and less involved with football or just don't bother.
I think if you look back you will see this age group, as in Under19s, has teams fold each season as most boys go through the same at the same age, although I could be wrong.

The section league cup section is the best way but when it starts there is usually  a lot of teams missing a lot of their regular or influential players thus you don't get a  true reflection of the teams.  I do get a  feeling the league will just have one division next season and it will be very strong as there are a few teams who have only had 99 boys who will gain experienced playing together, just as Moorlands u19 season has went.

Anyways, congrats to both Clydebank and Airdrie for making the Scottish Cup final and I do hope the final is a great testament to this era of boys

Dont think there is any difference between having a team of 99s or 98s at that stage of boys club football.Moorlands have always had a very good core of players and I think when Rossvale 1998s finished up a few years ago some players joined them .

Hats off to guys who keep going with their boys club  teams  at that level    as we all know the perils of fielding a team and putting up training sessions when boys either dont turn up or cant due to work commitments.....next step up is do you take them to u21s or amatuer 

A great example is the west of scotland u21s who have some great teams in the prem u21s and the clubs are run in a proffessional manner            

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎08‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 21:09, holsten said:

Dont think there is any difference between having a team of 99s or 98s at that stage of boys club football.Moorlands have always had a very good core of players and I think when Rossvale 1998s finished up a few years ago some players joined them .

Hats off to guys who keep going with their boys club  teams  at that level    as we all know the perils of fielding a team and putting up training sessions when boys either dont turn up or cant due to work commitments.....next step up is do you take them to u21s or amatuer 

A great example is the west of scotland u21s who have some great teams in the prem u21s and the clubs are run in a proffessional manner            

Difference with 98 to 99: (well this year 2017 I believe there is)
Definitely a difference where nearly every boy at Moorlands is a 98 playing Hamilton and Pollok where every boy is a 99.
I spoke to the Moorlands Manager after the Pollok game and he himself said there was a big difference. he said any team who had mostly 99 this year he would expect to do well if most boys at that age stayed with their team for the following year.  He didn't know what the next stage was as in amateur league or 21, suppose they would all have to consult the players and the coaches and find out their views.

Agreed with hats off and then some
Nowadays its hard work being a coach, not just with the training but the hard work with admin etc..

On ‎26‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 22:48, Bestsinceslicebread said:

awDifference with 98 to 99:
Definitely a difference where nearly every boy at Moorlands is a 98 playing Hamilton and Pollok where every boy is a 99.
I spoke to the Moorlands Manager after the Pollok game and he himself said there was a big difference. he said any team who had mostly 99 this year he would expect to do well if most boys at that age stayed with their team for the following year.  He didn't know what the next stage was as in amateur league or 21, suppose they would all have to consult the players and the coaches and find out their views.

Agreed with hats off and then some
Nowadays its hard work being a coach, not just with the training but the hard work with admin etc..

only my opinion and still think that there is not much difference in that age group at least in size and physicality

I know a good few boys who are under 19 but   choose to play WoS under 21s and they don't look out of place playing at 18 against boys who are 21

Is it not 2 1999 teams in the Scottish cup final for the under 19s group? (I could be wrong as I have lost touch with this age group but don't remember an airdrie 1998 and the Clydebank 1998 where always mid table in Paisley league

excuse my ignorance if I am wrong

• 2 weeks later...

I believe there is a difference, well from what I seen in Moorlands and the rest, and this view is only for the 2016 -17 season, (other seasons of u19s might be stronger than a year older team but a year older team do have advantage of an extra year at the same level)

Right through the Moorlands team they are very technical and each player is very strong in their own right and keep to their job that they are asked to do

I have watched them and many u19s teams in the Cumbernauld league, well the tops ones except coltswood and there has been a few players who have either not had a good game or just hiding or just not at the level of the rest of the players in their individual teams but in Moorlands where I have seen them two times, everyone has been very strong and technically good while sticking to their job.  I don't think there is anything wrong with anyone having a different opinion in this matter as we will all have different views but I'm only going by what I have seen.

Cup ties can be different though but when Moorlands are beaten in a game you take notice.  Don't get me wrong, Moorlands have played the same system when I have watched so there is ways to counter act that, obviously up to the coaching staff of other teams to adopt their views to play against them.  The recent cup final at Broadwood Stadium, I heard by all accounts that Clydebank were unlucky against a Moorlands team who eventually ran out 3.1 winners. (I would have been there but was watching my sons game at Pollok).  Common sense prevails, if you are playing against a far superior team then there is more chance of winning a game against them in a one off game than a two legged affair or in a league situation ( league meaning the rigours of all the games taking their toll with strength n mental ability then playing a really strong team )

This year we won't get to the bottom of this view of (u99 v u98) posts view as Moorlands will be no more in the u19 next year, they are all too old, bar one. But they romped their league winning every game against teams like Hamilton, (correction won league but as of today, still two games to play), They already won one domestic cup, are in the final of the regional, got to quarters of the Scottish and in the final of the other two domestic cups) and to do this in, (out on a limb here) in the best u19s league in Scotland is quite an achievement, (waits for a new post on this subject) lolllll.  They might not have done it if they were in the other league section, then again they might even have finished winners or they could have finished bottom, we will never know loll

I just want to say congratulations to Clydebank in winning the Scottish Cup, sounded like a great game, against would have been there but was too busy watching My sons game against Hamilton which they won 2.1

A good semi final looks on the cards on Thursday evening with Clydebank v Hamilton, good luck to both teams
I will be at the pollok u19s v Pollok u21 friendly at newlandsfield the same night, although not sure my son will make it

On ‎01‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 11:34, holsten said:

only my opinion and still think that there is not much difference in that age group at least in size and physicality

I agree but in this Moorlands 98 team I feel there is strength right throughout where maybe a few players lacking in the other teams and if you include Moorlands have experience of an earlier year in u19, it does make them stronger mentally as well.

I know a good few boys who are under 19 but   choose to play WoS under 21s and they don't look out of place playing at 18 against boys who are 21
You obviously going to get a few boys from each team, nearly every team, who can play at a higher, stronger level. My first season in junior football, I was 21 but the right back was 17, the left back, 16 and the goalkeeper was 17 and they weren't out of depths once they got a bit of confidence n experience and these types of things can happen right across the board with good younger players

Is it not 2 1999 teams in the Scottish cup final for the under 19s group? (I could be wrong as I have lost touch with this age group but don't remember an airdrie 1998 and the Clydebank 1998 where always mid table in Paisley league

In my reply post above, you see my views on cup ties in relation to age, but I forgot to include Moorlands got to the quarterfinal of the Scottish, beaten by Airdrie 0.1 and they are in the final of the regional, still to play against Hamilton, (not sure when), so they have been very consistent but then again, one off games are one off games and anything can happen.

Again this is my view but next year you will have Clydebank, Hamilton, Pollok and not too sure who else but will mostly be 99s but this does not give them the right to win the league as there might be a full exceptional team of 2000s come through next year but they certainly will be far more experienced. Next year Clydebank will lose 3 players who will be too old, Hamilton, I'm sure will lose one player and Pollok will lose none.  One thing for sure, in 2017/18 season you will have more teams in the league with mostly 99's players than 2000s, so I will most definitely look forward to the next season.

excuse my ignorance if I am wrong
Don't think you are wrong with Airdrie n Clydebank not having team in u19s last year. I'm not sure either if Airdrie are all 99s. There wasn't a Clydebank at u19s last year, (well nothing to do with the current team), and I don't think there was a Airdrie u19s last year, (again nothing to do with the current Airdrie as they were in a u17s league last year).   I watched Airdrie once against Hamilton in the Scottish and I only knew two of the players who are both 99s.  Plus its hard to know about each level of age in depth, we all have the sections we are interested in, so we focus on that and skin over the rest quickly.   I've always been more involved in 99s as I've coached and always watched the way through.

I hope your Pollok Boys  progress well next year as its sounds like Moorlands will be too old .I have not seem them play this year but I know they have been going for a good while with Tom Jackson and co always a good bunch. For several years their best opposition was Rossvale Thistle 1998 ,some really good games over the years  .

I know a few boys in Pollok u21 and I think they are in same boat with boys going to be overage  

19 hours ago, holsten said:

I hope your Pollok Boys  progress well next year as its sounds like Moorlands will be too old .I have not seem them play this year but I know they have been going for a good while with Tom Jackson and co always a good bunch. For several years their best opposition was Rossvale Thistle 1998 ,some really good games over the years  .

I know a few boys in Pollok u21 and I think they are in same boat with boys going to be overage  

In the past 4 months the Pollok team has already been totally revamped so much so that the Pollok juniors have taken notice in their development and now bringing in more boys into the fold with their training.  I know Pollok U19s have a few boys they want and who have expressed a real interest in coming to Pollok next season so I'm looking forward to the coming season.

In regards to not seeing Moorlands, well you have a chance as Moorlands play Hamilton in the William Craig Memorial Cup Final at Broadwood Stadium at 12KO this Sunday 21.May . Hamilton beat Pollok 4.2 after extra time in the semi and I think Moorlands destroyed Rossvale Inter in the semi 7.1 at Rossvale's ground.  I know I will be popping over to watch the final with my son on the day. 

In fairness, Moorlands are a slightly different scenario from most teams. They managed to beat off Antonine 97s who have won the Scottish 3 times to the league last year. Incredible achievement. I think that's more down to how good they've assembled over a number of years and now with the added experience of a year at 19s, are at a different level to many.

I thought our league cup final against Moorlands was very close. For 60 mins I really thought we had control of how the game was going. Unfortunately just that lapse in concentration last 20 minutes cost us against a very good side. It is unfair that they are going to romp their division yet might not win the overall league. It should've been A and B leagues again and the best team over the season wins, not in a playoff.

6 hours ago, BTID said:

In fairness, Moorlands are a slightly different scenario from most teams. They managed to beat off Antonine 97s who have won the Scottish 3 times to the league last year. Incredible achievement. I think that's more down to how good they've assembled over a number of years and now with the added experience of a year at 19s, are at a different level to many.

I thought our league cup final against Moorlands was very close. For 60 mins I really thought we had control of how the game was going. Unfortunately just that lapse in concentration last 20 minutes cost us against a very good side. It is unfair that they are going to romp their division yet might not win the overall league. It should've been A and B leagues again and the best team over the season wins, not in a playoff.

Agreed, Moorlands are an exception, that's why I said there is a difference with the 98 team compared to the 99s but other years might be totally different but there is that extra year advantage for the older team. I do concede that Moorlands are an exception.  You and I both know as well as most that really good teams still win, when up against it like they were with Clydebank. Lapse in concentration happens when players get mentally tired and stronger players stay mentally sharp right to the end. 
      When you consider Moorlands only defeat this season, well so far, is their Scottish Cup quarter final 1.0, I mean, they have won every game they have played except that game which is an incredible achievement so far. Plus I wasn't there so don't know how their 1.0 defeat went. So they won their league, won one domestic cup, in other two domestic finals, in regional final and reached quarters of Scottish and in play off league divisions final, i'd say they are one of the best in their era.

The league is what it is and we all have to deal with it I suppose Pollok have to be glad to be against Moorlands so to learn what the top level is like and we held them close recently 2.2 until the final 15 minutes when they ran out 5.2 winners. 

I'll be Broadwood this sunday 21st for the earlier cup final KO 12 between Moorlands and Hamilton. and Clydebank play Cumbernauld Colts at 2Ko to see who will prob win the league and then the winners will play Moorlands to see the outright winners.  So what a football day  I might be wrong but has it been the past 4 years in the top 99s league that there has been a play off to win it, lolll

For next year permutations
imagine this, if they all reapply to re-join league:
Next year there will be a lot more older ages u19s with experience with Clydebank, Hamilton, Coltswood, Cumby Colts, Pollok Juniors, Rossvale, Finnart, Milton, Steins, Harmony Row, Campsie, Cumbernauld United, Milngavie.  There are 12 teams at under 17, so one is Finnart, who will either merge or rename and you will lose a couple of teams who will fold or leave for another league and if the league invite the top two to the 98 section and then rest in a B division then that would be best unless they do a league cup section, where luck of the draw, you might lose a Cpl of big teams in a lower league but looking at the level, its going to be without doubt, in my eyes, the best league in Scotland and hard games everywhere. I do think again the top league, even if its only one league, the winners will be a year older team, but I don't know much about the under 17s yet so its up in the air.

So looking forward to next year and this year aint finished yet.
It wasn't that long ago, (well seems that way) at the end of the 2013/14 season when Clydebank, (Milngavie at the time), had recently won their league and were undefeated for two years in the Glasgow league and they played us, the now defunct Rossvale, just before we won the league cup, in a friendly and we beat them 2.1 and told them if they want a competitive league then come to ours lolllllll.  (that was a great game and day for both teams).  Think it was the best decision Clydebank made, they certainly have had competitive games since joining the league, that's for sure and haven't looked back. A few days later we beat Hillwood 2.1, one of the tops in the Paisley League, so we showed the league was strong and we were only a mid-table team. That was the year that Hamilton won the Scottish Cup and Kilsyth, (now merged with colts) won the regional, So the Cumbernauld 99s league has always been either best at that age group or usually one of the best. Hamilton won the league that year in a playoff with Kilsyth and then the following year they won the league in play off with Clydebank, (Milngavie at the time) and correct me if I'm wrong, I think Milton beat Hamilton in a play off for the league the previous year.  Goal difference does not count in boys football in league finish

I was At Broadwood today to see Moorlands totally dominate Hamilton, 3.0 up at halftime, although Hamilton should have opened the scoring with a good movement cultivating in a header which looked easier to score. Moorlands dominated both sides of the park and moved the ball very quickly from defence.  Hamilton got a goal back in second half and had a flurry of possession, mainly due to Moorlands team changes which disrupted them, then Moorlands had a player sent off which was never a sending off. Later on Moorlands scored from a penalty, which should not have been given as player had lost the ball. Moorlands then scored to finish the game.

moorlands have one domestic cup final left then (beat Hamilton 4.0 in final) the regional cup final which both ties against Hamilton. I was told today after Clydebank were beaten by Cumbernauld colts 2.1 that moorlands will play Clydebank (1.0 to Moorlands) in play off semi and Colts will play Hamilton (2.0 to hamilton0 in the other play off semi. I thought it was the winners of league ! play the winners of league A but they are now semis, which I hope to confirm soon.  I truly expect this Moorlands u19s team, (all 98s bar 1) to win all games and go the whole season with only one defeat against Airdrie in the Scottish. Definitely a team of exceptional talent and strength. Cumbernauld leagues loss next year but most of the other teams who are nearly all 99s will be more experienced as in the older year in u19s and think it will be an exceptional league

• 2 weeks later...

despite being Scottish champs we know we are underdogs on Wednesday. But our only encounter few weeks ago 1-3 moorlands was a very close game. 

We were 1 up after 60 mins and had 2 1v1s to go 2 up. I couldn't see us losing from there. However they were clinical last 20 mins and we lost concentration. No doubt every one of our lads will need to be at their best to beat a top side, as shown by their 4-0 win in the knockout final at the weekend.

ah see moorlands got beat 1-0  off hamilton  accies  in Central Cup 

Didn't see that coming

They've got their 4th final against each other tomorrow and it's the big one. League play off final

On ‎06‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 01:33, paul-r-cfc said:

Didn't see that coming

They've got their 4th final against each other tomorrow and it's the big one. League play off final

Moorlands, having beaten Scottish Cup winners Clydebank 3.1 in the first domestic final, then had two consecutive domestic finals in which Moorlands beat Hamilton 4.1 and 4.0. I think the next final, the regional on a Sunday morning at 11am, I get the feeling that Moorlands got too big headed and thought they would just need to turn up and easily win their final but they didn't, so well done to Hamilton, I don't know how it went but to beat Moorlands 1.0, it is a brilliant result.

The following Wednesday I watched the Cumbernauld and Kilsyth Play off final between Hamilton and Moorlands, (both teams finished 1st n 2nd in 'Division1' having beaten the winners and runners up of 'Division A' - Division A were always thought of as the Stronger Division by many), Hamilton went 1.0 up, (originally a great shot off the bar and four Hamilton players jumped for the rebound with Moorlands still looking),  and had a few chances then that was it. Moorlands just took total control, dominating both sides and through the middle n constantly opening Hamilton up. Play off final finished 4.1 to Moorlands.
So Moorlands whole season is two defeats, quarters of Scottish and defeat in regional final they won the league, the league play off and won the three other domestic finals.

Congratulations to Moorlands for a fantastic season, deserved it.

Now I'm looking forward to next season where there will be  a lot of u19 teams, (potentially 14 teams from the 2016/17 season)  with mostly older year youths and then the under 17 teams will be joiing the Under 19 league and that (potentially about 12 teams from the 2016/17 season). So that's 26 teams, although, some may fold or leave the league and then again, some teams from other leagues may want to join the Cumbernauld Under 19s as it is without doubt the best Under 19 league in Scotland.

I think it will be a great league but can be an exceptional league next season if the Cumbernauld league committee get it right, prob league cup sections is best

Archived