Dunfermline v Dundee United Sat 10th Sept.

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AJ thinks we played well but I thought his tactics were poor after we pulled a goal back and had a man advantage. United were rocking and after a spell of 20 minutes or so doing nothing we took off defenders and chucked on more strikers. Bringing on Farid meant any invention we had was gone and we just lumped it in his direction. When United got their breakaway we had conveniently taken off half the defence.

There is enough in the squad to cobble a decent 11 together but AJ needs to be ruthless and radical. It just worries me that he thinks guys like McCabe and McMullan are anything other than a league out of thier depth. I tipped us to finish 9th and on what I've seen so far, it will taken a spectacularly terrible effort to finish below us. 

Utterly bizarre game, missing 3 penalties and losing 3-1 to a team who had 10 men for half an hour is not acceptable.

Desperately need murdoch back, as was plainly evident with the 2nd goal, Mccabe is an absolute passenger at the moment and simply will not commit to any sort of challenge for a ball. McMullen looked bright and dangerous, paton was good too. Geggan made too many poor choices today though. Reilly and Clark looked much more dangerous than Reilly and Moffat, El alagui looked good for his cameo too.

Need to get our shit sorted very, very soon.

AJ thinks we played well but I thought his tactics were poor after we pulled a goal back and had a man advantage. United were rocking and after a spell of 20 minutes or so doing nothing we took off defenders and chucked on more strikers. Bringing on Farid meant any invention we had was gone and we just lumped it in his direction. When United got their breakaway we had conveniently taken off half the defence.

There is enough in the squad to cobble a decent 11 together but AJ needs to be ruthless and radical. It just worries me that he thinks guys like McCabe and McMullan are anything other than a league out of thier depth. I tipped us to finish 9th and on what I've seen so far, it will taken a spectacularly terrible effort to finish below us. 

Calm down eh. McMullen was just about our best player today tbh

3 minutes ago, TheMessiah said:

Calm down eh. McMullen was just about our best player today tbh

I thought he looked poor. Every chance he had in the last 20 minutes or so to do something he didn't look up or ran straight into Flood or put a cross straight out of play. 

Good to see Paton show some class moments.

2 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Someone on dot net suggested a 3-5-2 formation, maybe worth a shot?

Murdoch

Fordyce Ashcroft BRE/Martin

Wedderburn

Paton/Cardle Geggan McMullan

HB/Moffat

Farid Clark

Not sure about Moffat as a striker/finisher but he is really good on the ball and holding it up. HB's best position is behind the strikers surely? Also at the back Fordyce has played as a right back as has Martin at left back. BRE would be better with these two beside him, use him as a battering ram and to win stuff in the air and not to play on the deck.

Also you could use guys like Williamson as a right midfielder and bring on McCabe or Herron depending on the situation.

Just a thought, it moves most of our players into their best areas and gives us more options imo.

5 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Someone on dot net suggested a 3-5-2 formation, maybe worth a shot?

Murdoch

Fordyce Ashcroft BRE/Martin

Wedderburn

Paton/Cardle Geggan McMullan

HB/Moffat

Farid Clark

Not sure about Moffat as a striker/finisher but he is really good on the ball and holding it up. HB's best position is behind the strikers surely? Also at the back Fordyce has played as a right back as has Martin at left back. BRE would be better with these two beside him, use him as a battering ram and to win stuff in the air and not to play on the deck.

Also you could use guys like Williamson as a right midfielder and bring on McCabe or Herron depending on the situation.

Just a thought, it moves most of our players into their best areas and gives us more options imo.

I'd hope AJ keeps an open mind to this sort of stuff. There are still positives but we can't keep doing the same stuff over and over and blaming bad luck.

We'd get buggered silly down the wings. That'd be horrendous.

I've no idea what to do tbh, I think our main problems come from centre midfield and centre back. Will Wedderburn shore things up? We didn't look to clever against Utd at Tannadice with Wedderburn in there. Didn't watch today and I'm glad, sorta game that would have you seething.

We have a more favourable run of games that'll make or break us, 6-9 points and great, we don't look as gash, a poor run of form though and by f**k AJ will be struggling.

5 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

We'd get buggered silly down the wings. That'd be horrendous.

I've no idea what to do tbh, I think our main problems come from centre midfield and centre back. Will Wedderburn shore things up? We didn't look to clever against Utd at Tannadice with Wedderburn in there. Didn't watch today and I'm glad, sorta game that would have you seething.

We have a more favourable run of games that'll make or break us, 6-9 points and great, we don't look as gash, a poor run of form though and by f**k AJ will be struggling.

In defence wedderburn could move into centre half and push out Fordyce and Martin wide perhaps?

I agree Paton wouldn't work hard enough and Cardle isn't a defender at all. I don't know what to do either but I have serious reservations with the quality of our wide defensive players.

We have lost quite a few goals from wide positions now, basic errors in positioning and defending. 

still thing in games which will be tough (most at this level) is stick with a back four of Fordyce BRE Ashcroft Martin is must be our most defensively sound back four with either geggan or Wedderburn sitting infornt of it

Ray's post match opinion claiming no decision went his way was he not aware of the 10 times the referee indicated for bell to hurry up most other refs would of booked him again and therefore sent another player off. :thumsup2

Archived