Dunfermline v Dundee United Sat 10th Sept.

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still quite stunned by all of that yesterday. I haven't read the thread but, FWIW, I actually thought we played some decent football for large periods of the game. However, whereas we struggled to create many clear-cut openings (although Fordyce and Ashcroft should have hit the target with decent headed chances at 2-1), United were far more clinical.

That being said, we contributed greatly to that. We are continuously making defensive mistakes - and by that I'm not picking out anyone, as there's been more than one man culpable - since the season started and they're leading to goals. Last season, more often than not, we could get away with it but the chances we're gifting the opposition will be punished by better teams and better players. The first goal was a bad mistake but the second one utterly infuriated me; how the hell nobody could see the spare United man off the throw, track the run and make it difficult for him before getting the shot away was remarkable. Yes, you could say Hutton should stop it but the marking in front of him was woeful.

Is there a lack of confidence between keeper/defence that has manifested itself over the last few weeks? Maybe, but that's no excuse for some of the goals we're conceding. If we're being cut open with some great play or the opposition score a worldie, you hold your hands up to that. But we're making it easy for teams to get chances and goals and giving ourselves an even bigger task in games. The third goal (great strike) was neither here nor there as we'd committed so many players forward by that stage anyway.

As for the penalties, Christ. Still can't quite believe what we watched yesterday. I couldn't see what the award was for for the first one (assumed a shirt pull), the second was a stonewaller and the third, while handball, did look to me in the Norrie that the ball was hit at quite close range.

Nevertheless, to not take one of three is absolutely ridiculous and all of them were at a good height for the keeper. Credit to him but, really, if you're not taking golden opportunities like that then it's likely to end in a bad day. Worrying that three of our centre forwards have all missed from 12 yards so far this season.

At least we reacted well to losing the second one but we're still missing a spark in the final third. There's a big difference in the defences of League One and this level and we have to find an extra piece of quality from somewhere.

On the positives, I thought McMullan was our best player and is improving on promising showings against Queens and Brechin. Paton also had a decent match and El Alagui looked a threat when he went on. I know we were behind and chasing the game but, if he plays, I hope it doesn't mean our immediate instinct is to launch it high towards him and then try to pick up the second balls. Getting the ball wide and crosses into the box would be tailor-made for him. Clark still needs match sharpness but both he and Reilly were starved of service in open play.

I think we all know that defensively we've not been solid enough but I think Wedderburn has been a big miss. In the games I saw him in, he gave the back four extra assurance and is a strong presence to have in there. That also allows Geggan, who started the season brilliantly, to get forward but I think his form has dipped below what we know he's capable of recently, partly in consequence of Wedderburn's absence.

It's not a time for complete panic and I always said that making sure we consolidate this year will do me nicely, and if that's in eighth then so be it. But we have to scrap some results from somewhere and our next three games are already extremely important.

f**k sake, imagine missing 3 penalties you useless c***s.

Hopefully you had us on your coupon and, if so, GIRUY.

Still can't believe that it actually happened. THREE PENALTIES [emoji23]

4 hours ago, itzdrk said:

The point from TheMessiah was about fight so no, it's not obscure.  There isn't a huge amount of fight involved in skelping teams 6-1, 4-1 etc leading from 10 or so mins in, that is just simply being better.  There is though when you are 1-0 down trying to get the win. 

The vast, vast majority of games we did score first though, what a daft point.

1 hour ago, DAFC. said:

Hopefully you had us on your coupon and, if so, GIRUY.

Still can't believe that it actually happened. THREE PENALTIES emoji23.png

I never bet for Dundee to win and I never bet the dabs to get beat - don't want to jinx them. 

I've been completely off grid on Tiree without internet access since Wednesday and just getting up to speed with events. Doesn't look like I missed much yesterday...

Some Arabs and many Pars fans saying we were dreadful yesterday, was it that bad or a case of both teams being poor? Obviously the penalties could have made a difference. Throw in going down to 10 men and it seemed a bit of an omnishambles of a match all round

We were quite bad tbh. The red card maybe suited us in the sense that we could just stick everyone behind the ball, waste time etc. It was good to actually see us closing out a game properly, it's something we've been rotten at for longer than I can remember.

The refereeing was fucking atrocious.

We were awful. Easily the worst I've seen from us this season. We couldn't keep hold of the ball and the players who should have been helping us control possession were incredibly quiet. 

Murray again yesterday going his running about daft without being a physical presence whatsoever. It is a real bugbear of mine at the moment as he never actually tackles anyone or shows any real strength. Still, he is scoring goals so there is that.

We were awful. Easily the worst I've seen from us this season. We couldn't keep hold of the ball and the players who should have been helping us control possession were incredibly quiet. 

Murray again yesterday going his running about daft without being a physical presence whatsoever. It is a real bugbear of mine at the moment as he never actually tackles anyone or shows any real strength. Still, he is scoring goals so there is that.

Murray infuriates me sometimes. Never looks up, has no game intelligence whatsoever, never tackles, never wins a header. Great at instinctive finishing as we saw yesterday. Will score plenty of goals at this level, but when he's bad, he's awful.

I just don't want to have to rely on Murray. A great impact player in many ways, or someone who can harass the team in possession when you need to pressure the defence but he isn't exactly a talisman. If he was given every game this season I would expect a return of about 15-20 goals including the cups which would be a decent return but we do need something else in that area (Cammy Smith did a much more effective job of holding the ball up when he came on).

Forgot that the cheeky wee scamp Bell had been booked in the first half, I thought it was odd that the referee continued to turn a blind eye to time-wasting. Shitebag should have just sent him off.

Looks like I could be going to Morton next week, title challenge starts next week IMO.

Forgot that the cheeky wee scamp Bell had been booked in the first half, I thought it was odd that the referee continued to turn a blind eye to time-wasting. Shitebag should have just sent him off.

Looks like I could be going to Morton next week, title challenge starts next week IMO.

Aye. The one thing I took from yesterday's game was the referee's reluctance to give any decisions against us

I'd love to play awful and win 3-1 tbf.

3 cheap goals from bad defending/mistakes particularly the first 2. On the penalties though Pars player made most of it but by United player putting his hand on Pars player's back he gives referee decision to make, 2nd penalty was 50/50 but after looking at highlights was the he right decision. 3rd penalty the United player virtually saves the ball. On penalties themselves keeper gets lucky on 1st one, 2nd and 3rd weren't good penalties, for third one the player's run up told you exactly where he has putting it.

Archived