The National Survey

Bring Your Own Socks

A survey is unnecessary when the clear reason Yes lost was because the economic argument wasn't won.

That argument has even less of a chance of being won now so there won't be another referendum for a long time. Those hoping for one next year will be disappointed.

Please explain

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Justification for a second independence referendum will be based on the outcome of this survey?  I think you either need to stay of the sauce or take a good look in the mirror before banding about insults about peoples intelligence.

If the feedback is overwhelming in the yes corner then obviously it'll have an effect. It's been done for that reason FFS

11 minutes ago, Randy Giles said:

If the feedback is overwhelming in the yes corner then obviously it'll have an effect. It's been done for that reason FFS

I'm guessing the responses from Yes supporters is irrelevant. If you ask me this is more about finding out why No voters voted No.

What will have more of an effect in terms of a possible referendum is polling. And the most recent Yougov poll has poor support for a referendum and the leader of the Conservatives with a higher approval rating than Sturgeon. 

4 hours ago, Randy Giles said:

Statistically, the results of this survey, will have little bearing, as they simply won't be robust enough.  Its the precursor to a hard marketing exercise to win over soft No voters.  Opinion polls will be a far more important barometer about the possible timing for another referendum.  At the moment there's little appetite amongst the electorate for another one. However, Nicola Sturgeon has to keep the passionate activists onside whilst not committing the SNP to a quick referendum which it would lose.      

35 minutes ago, Loondave1 said:

Nicola just has to "look busy" as regards Indy2 to keep the hard of thinking off her back.Anybody that thinks another referendum is just a few surveys away shouldn't be allowed out on their own really.

Is being semi literate a prerequisite of ardently desiring your own country be nothing more than a region of another state?

Is being semi literate a prerequisite of ardently desiring your own country be nothing more than a region of another state?

Unconnected really.Plenty semi literate in Scotland of all shades.That will be a regular thing the way education is going.

On 8 September 2016 at 11:45, Loondave1 said:

Even Nippy owned up to falling standards and Swinney acknowledged falling numeracy attainments.However in the Hive La la land as ever all is going well.

The Scottish education system could be producing thousands of PhD candidates year on year and you'd still despise it for being governed by a party that dares to question Scotland's status as a minor region of the beloved and never-to-be-questioned British state.

1 hour ago, Antlion said:

The Scottish education system could be producing thousands of PhD candidates year on year and you'd still despise it for being governed by a party that dares to question Scotland's status as a minor region of the beloved and never-to-be-questioned British state.

That is the ultimate straw-man.  I am wholeheartedly in favour of the extra flexibility that it CfE is supposed to introduce into the education system and will allow teachers to actually teach.  To ignore the obvious failings in implementation and give the SNP pass marks in education is to show that you have no understanding of the governments involvement in education.

2 hours ago, strichener said:

That is the ultimate straw-man.  I am wholeheartedly in favour of the extra flexibility that it CfE is supposed to introduce into the education system and will allow teachers to actually teach.  To ignore the obvious failings in implementation and give the SNP pass marks in education is to show that you have no understanding of the governments involvement in education.

I never said the SNP didn't have issues in the provision of education. But given you're a dyed-in-the-wool UKIPer, I've not yet seen a conclusion you won't leap to.

Or does assuming one's party political persuasion according to their belief in a particular constitutional issue only work when you do it...?

31 minutes ago, Antlion said:

I never said the SNP didn't have issues in the provision of education. But given you're a dyed-in-the-wool UKIPer, I've not yet seen a conclusion you won't leap to.

Or does assuming one's party political persuasion according to their belief in a particular constitutional issue only work when you do it...?

:lol:

What a mess you are.  Every issue you comment on comes down to the other person being a UKIPer or BritNat. 

The guy commented on the failings in education, you retort with anti-union claptrap.

Whilst I am sure that I voted for the same party as you did, they must have just forgotten to give me the blinkers outside the polling station.  Or maybe I have to join the party before I get these?

So how about you comment on how the SNP have managed the education system in schools, colleges and universities across the country?

29 minutes ago, strichener said:

:lol:

What a mess you are.  Every issue you comment on comes down to the other person being a UKIPer or BritNat. 

The guy commented on the failings in education, you retort with anti-union claptrap.

Whilst I am sure that I voted for the same party as you did, they must have just forgotten to give me the blinkers outside the polling station.  Or maybe I have to join the party before I get these?

So how about you comment on how the SNP have managed the education system in schools, colleges and universities across the country?

As yours are entirely down to condemning everyone who dares question your hatred of the EU (and its corrolary - a desire for the UK government to govern areas currently administered in Brussels) as SNP worshippers. You appear to be attempting (not very competently) to portray yourself at every turn as a more nuanced and critical thinker than anyone who disagrees with you, and typically respond to disagreement with insult. I've lost count of your "you're just blinkered but I'm not" posts - I stopped paying much attention to them when it became apparent that your politics are more in line with UKIP's than they are with mine.

When your fellow traveller actually brings up some specific aspects of the Scottish government's education policy, I'll address them. As it is he simply offered a blanket castigation, which you naturally felt the need to defend in order to stress that everyone's blinkered except fae yooouuuu.

As yours are entirely down to condemning everyone who dares question your hatred of the EU (and its corrolary - a desire for the UK government to govern areas currently administered in Brussels) as SNP worshippers. You appear to be attempting (not very competently) to portray yourself at every turn as a more nuanced and critical thinker than anyone who disagrees with you, and typically respond to disagreement with insult. I've lost count of your "you're just blinkered but I'm not" posts - I stopped paying much attention to them when it became apparent that your politics are more in line with UKIP's than they are with mine.

When your fellow traveller actually brings up some specific aspects of the Scottish government's education policy, I'll address them. As it is he simply offered a blanket castigation, which you naturally felt the need to defend in order to stress that everyone's blinkered except fae yooouuuu.

Only the post that you quoted had no reference to the EU at all did it? Yet here is another of yours suggesting someone that is anti-eu must be a kipper.

There is absolutely no doubt that there are problems with our education system, it is helpful that you keep posting the same drivel to highlight them.

5 minutes ago, strichener said:

Only the post that you quoted had no reference to the EU at all did it? Yet here is another of yours suggesting someone that is anti-eu must be a kipper.

There is absolutely no doubt that there are problems with our education system, it is helpful that you keep posting the same drivel to highlight them.

In the same way you appear to think that condemning anyone whose previous posts you have disagreed with as an SNP devotee helps present you as a great critical thinker. It doesn't. Dismissing people who point out unreasoned anti-SNP posts as blinkered SNP members is no better than condemning all those who want the UK government to have power repatriated from Brussels as UKIPers. If blanket assumptions are your stock in trade, don't feign a lack of tolerance with them when you are repaid in your own coin.

I certainly acknowledge problems in Scotland's education system. There are problems in every education system. Here's one: apparently people are leaving ours with an inability to properly use commas when constructing sentences.

27 minutes ago, Antlion said:

In the same way you appear to think that condemning anyone whose previous posts you have disagreed with as an SNP devotee helps present you as a great critical thinker. It doesn't. Dismissing people who point out unreasoned anti-SNP posts as blinkered SNP members is no better than condemning all those who want the UK government to have power repatriated from Brussels as UKIPers. If blanket assumptions are your stock in trade, don't feign a lack of tolerance with them when you are repaid in your own coin.

I certainly acknowledge problems in Scotland's education system. There are problems in every education system. Here's one: apparently people are leaving ours with an inability to properly use commas when constructing sentences.

There we have it again.  UKIP makes it into your posts when the discussion was about education.

36 minutes ago, strichener said:

There we have it again.  UKIP makes it into your posts when the discussion was about education.

Actually, your first response to me was your usual diatribe of insults and the tiresome, token reference to me being a blinkered SNP member unable to handle criticism of that party whilst you're a master of critical free-thinking.

So basically your usual MO. Those beady little eyes must light up at every opportunity to remind us that anyone who criticises obvious "SNP BAD" posts is blinkered and uncritical, but not you - you're a real free thinker. You think freely. No blinkers for you, because you're a real master of critical thought. Your perspicacity puts us all in the shade; if only we shared one centilla of that rare ability to critique - alas, it is your domain alone, as we must never be allowed to forget.

(Lather, rinse, repeat.)

Archived