BBC Coverage of Scottish Football

paranoid android

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

Thought it might be that - the coverage of the lower divisions is poor.

The coverage of the lower leagues has been poor since the advent of the SPL (with an anomalous four season spell when there was a lot of coverage for some reason?). I remember when Sportsound had reporters at all the First Division games and you'd get a match report and some manager interviews after the matches. They would also have a featured game in Division Two and the brilliant Highland League report with someone who sounded like Bill Johnstone or Hugh-Dan McLeland but was probably someone entirely different. 

They then started having Off the Ball or a Phone-in at 5.30 which cut down on that time and they concentrated on the Premier League. Then it started at 5.15 and now you get an in-depth report from Rangers or Celtic and the Rangers or Celtic manager, even though they are usually a lunchtime kickoff and have been heard already, with no time for any coverage of the lower leagues bar the scores.

The TV coverage is obviously even worse as they don't give the scores on the news and no longer show highlights on Sportscene. And the online helpings are the worst of the lot - two or three line match report cobbled together from PA live text and next to no real news or analysis. I can understand that budgets have been cut but if they spent less on Rangers and Celtic puff pieces (that analysis of Joey Barton's Rangers debut was outrageous, while also cringeworthy) and not having a commentator, two summarises, an open all miles reporter, a touchline reporter and various other reporters at games involving the Gruesome Twosome then maybe they could afford to have a reporter at all the Championship games at the very least.

The coverage on the BBC website is worse this season than last, though - here's how I know.

I'm a Hearts fan, and like to keep up with how our on-loan players are doing.

Say Hearts are playing away on a Saturday afternoon - I'm listening to the radio for commentary or, more often, updates.

While listening, I'll be mooching around, but I'll often browse the net - last season, the BBC website would have team line-ups for the lower leagues, so I could see if the likes of  Todorov, Lewis Moore, Ally Roy, Morrison were playing or had scored for Cowdenbeath, Stennhousmuir, or Stirling Albion, etc - this season, I can't see that because there's no info on line-ups or scorers in those leagues - I can see how Eggert Jonnson and Ian Black are getting on for Fleetwood and fucking Shrewsbury, though.

Even something as simple as finding the Scottish Footaball page on the BBC website is harder than it's been for years - it's not actually difficult to find, but it should be easier.

A little insight into my excuse for a life as well as my psyche there. ;)

31 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

The coverage on the BBC website is worse this season than last, though - here's how I know.

I'm a Hearts fan, and like to keep up with how our on-loan players are doing.

Say Hearts are playing away on a Saturday afternoon - I'm listening to the radio for commentary or, more often, updates.

While listening, I'll be mooching around, but I'll often browse the net - last season, the BBC website would have team line-ups for the lower leagues, so I could see if the likes of  Todorov, Lewis Moore, Ally Roy, Morrison were playing or had scored for Cowdenbeath, Stennhousmuir, or Stirling Albion, etc - this season, I can't see that because there's no info on line-ups or scorers in those leagues - I can see how Eggert Jonnson and Ian Black are getting on for Fleetwood and fucking Shrewsbury, though.

Even something as simple as finding the Scottish Footaball page on the BBC website is harder than it's been for years - it's not actually difficult to find, but it should be easier.

A little insight into my excuse for a life as well as my psyche there. ;)

All of this in era where it's never been easier, cheaper and quicker to communicate globally let alone from a hundred or so miles away. Websites can be built and updated by primary school kids.There is absolutely no excuse for any lack of BBC service. The reason is they just don't give a f**k.

21 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

All of this in era where it's never been easier, cheaper and quicker to communicate globally let alone from a hundred or so miles away. Websites can be built and updated by primary school kids.There is absolutely no excuse for any lack of BBC service. The reason is they just don't give a f**k.

Correct, imo.

Yup - the BBC Alba coverage is very good, imo.

I watch the alba rugby coverage and in many ways I prefer it to sky. No terrible pundits (normally a member of the playing squad) and a half time some grassroots coverage. Far less ego with the commentary.....unless Scott hastings is on doing say what you see. Frankly on the budget they have they put sportscene to shame.

I've already mentioned this on the Terrible Journalism thread but the BBC website seems to have just discovered that there is a Scottish Premiership and so has launched a predictor game, only about 5 weeks after the league started. Of course the English Premiership one was up and running for match day one. It's like they don't even want to try any more. 

On ‎06‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 20:11, Salvo Montalbano said:

The coverage of the lower leagues has been poor since the advent of the SPL (with an anomalous four season spell when there was a lot of coverage for some reason?). I remember when Sportsound had reporters at all the First Division games and you'd get a match report and some manager interviews after the matches. They would also have a featured game in Division Two and the brilliant Highland League report with someone who sounded like Bill Johnstone or Hugh-Dan McLeland but was probably someone entirely different. 

They then started having Off the Ball or a Phone-in at 5.30 which cut down on that time and they concentrated on the Premier League. Then it started at 5.15 and now you get an in-depth report from Rangers or Celtic and the Rangers or Celtic manager, even though they are usually a lunchtime kickoff and have been heard already, with no time for any coverage of the lower leagues bar the scores.

The TV coverage is obviously even worse as they don't give the scores on the news and no longer show highlights on Sportscene. And the online helpings are the worst of the lot - two or three line match report cobbled together from PA live text and next to no real news or analysis. I can understand that budgets have been cut but if they spent less on Rangers and Celtic puff pieces (that analysis of Joey Barton's Rangers debut was outrageous, while also cringeworthy) and not having a commentator, two summarises, an open all miles reporter, a touchline reporter and various other reporters at games involving the Gruesome Twosome then maybe they could afford to have a reporter at all the Championship games at the very least.

You are thinking of the legendary Bill McAllister, who as well as putting together the report, also found time to link it to a number of the week's hot topics. By the end, if you hadn't creased of laughter once, it was a surprise. Now enjoying a well earned retirement I think.

Archived