Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

On 12/4/2016 at 07:35, Granny Danger said:

The Daily Heil should just use the headline "Judges Should Ignore The Law".

There's definitely an issue here in the Mail and others continuing to throw the 'unaccountable' line at the judiciary. Court judgments are a fundamental part of our constitution and we have to hope that judges will continue to uphold the rule of law above all else and without prejudice.

Clearly the UK must and will leave the EU but we ought to be careful of constitutional abuse in the meantime, even if that means dragging the process out a little longer than Paul Dacre would like.

I wonder if May will be secretly quite pleased if this appeal fails.

Nice excuse for that March 2017 target to be extended and the gullible thickos will have some bogeymen to greet about, rather than questioning May's inactivity re bringing this to parliament.

Definitely, May and her cabinet, will be praying for some extra time to play with.

Invoking Article 50 does not mean that Britain must leave the EU. I agree with Lord Kerr - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-37852628

"The Scottish cross-bench peer who wrote Article 50 - the procedure by which the UK would leave the EU - believed it was "not irrevocable".  In a BBC interview, Lord Kerr of Kinlochard said the UK could choose to stay in the EU even after exit negotiations had begun."...

"He explained: "It is not irrevocable. You can change your mind while the process is going on. During that period, if a country were to decide actually we don't want to leave after all, everybody would be very cross about it being a waste of time. They might try to extract a political price but legally they couldn't insist that you leave."

"Lord Kerr is advising First Minister of Scotland Nicola Sturgeon on Brexit as she seeks to maintain Scotland's links with the EU. 

"He does not think it would be possible for Scotland to remain in the EU single market if the UK as a whole is leaving."

The EU cannot force Britain to leave. If Parliament does not pass the Brexit legislation after the negotiations are completed, Britain can stay in under the existing terms of membership which are enshrined in the EU's treaties.

Alternatively, Britain is also free to negotiate new terms of membership after Article 50 is invoked. Those new terms would also have to be approved by Parliament. The EU's treaties would also have to amended. 

Ultimately, it is Parliament, not the Government, will decide whether Britain leaves the EU or stays in. 

10 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Invoking Article 50 does not mean that Britain must leave the EU. I agree with Lord Kerr - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-37852628

"The Scottish cross-bench peer who wrote Article 50 - the procedure by which the UK would leave the EU - believed it was "not irrevocable".  In a BBC interview, Lord Kerr of Kinlochard said the UK could choose to stay in the EU even after exit negotiations had begun."...

"He explained: "It is not irrevocable. You can change your mind while the process is going on. During that period, if a country were to decide actually we don't want to leave after all, everybody would be very cross about it being a waste of time. They might try to extract a political price but legally they couldn't insist that you leave."

"Lord Kerr is advising First Minister of Scotland Nicola Sturgeon on Brexit as she seeks to maintain Scotland's links with the EU. 

"He does not think it would be possible for Scotland to remain in the EU single market if the UK as a whole is leaving."

The EU cannot force Britain to leave. If Parliament does not pass the Brexit legislation after the negotiations are completed, Britain can stay in under the existing terms of membership which are enshrined in the EU's treaties.

Alternatively, Britain is also free to negotiate new terms of membership after Article 50 is invoked. Those new terms would also have to be approved by Parliament. The EU's treaties would also have to amended. 

Ultimately, it is Parliament, not the Government, will decide whether Britain leaves the EU or stays in. 

Aye you believe that if you want to Don Quixote.

1 minute ago, hehawhehaw said:

Aye you believe that if you want to Don Quixote.

So what happens if Parliament refuses to repeal the EU legislation? Lord Kerr drafted the Lisbon Treaty and you think that he is wrong?

Even though I am a Brexit supporter, I respect and agree with Lord Kerr's view of the Article 50 process. If Article 50 is invoked successfully, by whatever means, the Remain supporters (especially those in Parliament) will suddenly agree with him too.

2 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

So what happens if Parliament refuses to repeal the EU legislation? Lord Kerr drafted the Lisbon Treaty and you think that he is wrong?

Even though I am a Brexit supporter, I respect and agree with Lord Kerr's view of the Article 50 process. If Article 50 is invoked successfully, by whatever means, the Remain supporters (especially those in Parliament) will suddenly agree with him too.

There will be a GE or the 1972 act will be repealed. You will be amazed how much  the unwritten constitution favours the ruling party.

1 minute ago, hehawhehaw said:

There will be a GE or the 1972 act will be repealed. You will be amazed how much  the unwritten constitution favours the ruling party.

Over 60% the ruling party's MPs and Government's Ministers campaigned for Remain. There is a large number of Tory Europhiles who would vote against Brexit, even after a General Election.

Under the Coalition's fixed term legislation, the Government must lose a vote of confidence in the Commons before a general election can be called. Given the current polls, Labour would be crazy to put down a no confidence motion.

The main beneficiaries of a general election would be the Europhile Lib Dems. They could gain a significant number of the seats that they lost to the Tories. Turkeys don't vote for Christmas.

4 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Over 60% the ruling party's MPs and Government's Ministers campaigned for Remain. There is a large number of Tory Europhiles who would vote against Brexit, even after a General Election.

Under the Coalition's fixed term legislation, the Government must lose a vote of confidence in the Commons before a general election can be called. Given the current polls, Labour would be crazy to put down a no confidence motion.

The main beneficiaries of a general election would be the Europhile Lib Dems. They could gain a significant number of the seats that they lost to the Tories. Turkeys don't vote for Christmas.

You seem to think MPs are mainly principled people. I'm afraid they are mostly worrying about keeping their jobs. If the Gov appeal is refused a short bill will be put through Parliament pronto, and the Gov will prevail. The rest of your post is over analysed hyperbole. 

So what do you really think?

43 minutes ago, hehawhehaw said:

or 

18 minutes ago, hehawhehaw said:

You seem to think MPs are mainly principled people. I'm afraid they are mostly worrying about keeping their jobs. If the Gov appeal is refused a short bill will be put through Parliament pronto, and the Gov will prevail. 

The referendum was instructing the government to pursue Brexit.  Let's get out of the EU.  I get it.

This will require negotiation with the other 27 countries - who each regard the other 26 members as collectively more important than the UK.
At some point the government will have to negotiate with the EU and reach an agreement of some sort.
This agreement will then have to be presented to the UK population.
There seems to be this idea that even if what is then on offer sounds totally unappealing - nobody is allowed to change their mind.
"Who cares what you think now - back in June 2016, you thought Brexit was a good idea - well even if you were wrong then - you made that call and you will just have to stick with it."

I look forward to seeing this wonderful "Have your cake and eat it" settlement.  

4 hours ago, Alan Stubbs said:

I wonder if May will be secretly quite pleased if this appeal fails.

Nice excuse for that March 2017 target to be extended and the gullible thickos will have some bogeymen to greet about, rather than questioning May's inactivity re bringing this to parliament.

I'm almost certain the court case only exists to allow the march 2017 date to get binned.

2 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

I'm almost certain the court case only exists to allow the march 2017 date to get binned.

Something that "hard brexiters" are quietly praying to happen, because they know full well we'll be goosed if we rip ourselves out of the EU that early without going through the necessary processes.

6 minutes ago, Cream Cheese said:

Something that "hard brexiters" are quietly praying to happen, because they know full well we'll be goosed if we rip ourselves out of the EU that early without going through the necessary processes.

Whether article 50 is invoked tomorrow or in 100 years time, we will only get 2 years to negotiate with the EU. It puts the UK at a disadvantage whichever way you look at it. As a result brexit will not happen, possibly ever, but not soon at least. The Govts task is to make it look like it is everyone apart from them that is delaying brexit.

Edited by sparky88

5 minutes ago, Cream Cheese said:

Another idiotic howler from you! Invoking Article 50 by March 2017 will not trigger Brexit.

The UK will only leave the EU after the completion of the negotiations and Royal Assent being given to the Brexit Act - probably in late 2018/early 2019