Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

10 minutes ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

Presented without comment:

That's the least surprising piece of polling I've ever seen. 

Knuckledraggers that thought MOOSLIMS ARRR STEELIN URR ENNHACHESS and BRITISHBENDYBANANAS LIKE WOT WE ADD IN DER WARRRR want their unicorns more than they want peace somewhere they couldn't find on a map.

Presented without comment:

These simpletons probably don’t remember that the ‘troubles’ didn’t play out purely over the Irish Sea.

It would be nice if there was another question like “would you prefer bombs going off in your locality to leaving the EU” just to see if the answer changes.

The idea that we should consider whether or not the dissident cretins approve of political decisions is absurd.

A hard border is nowhere near justification for returning to the bomb. I'd also say there's no chance of Sinn Fein returning to condoning violence, the post 9/11 world isn't very terrorist friendly.

19 minutes ago, Detournement said:

The idea that we should consider whether or not the dissident cretins approve of political decisions is absurd.

A hard border is nowhere near justification for returning to the bomb. I'd also say there's no chance of Sinn Fein returning to condoning violence, the post 9/11 world isn't very terrorist friendly.

Nothing is a justification for a return to the bomb.

However, I think the reason there is relative peace in Northern Ireland is because a lot of people who would like a United Ireland are able to tolerate the current situation.
You can go back and forth across the border several times a day and barely notice that it is there.

If the border becomes noticeable again, with some roads closed off and other closely monitored, then that will be enough to change attitudes.
Some people would say "why should we accept a divided Ireland when even a workable solution was sabotaged for a cause that we never voted for."

Obviously this will include some nutcases for whom words are not enough.

That is the problem.

However, I think the reason there is relative peace in Northern Ireland is because a lot of people who would like a United Ireland are able to tolerate the current situation.
You can go back and forth across the border several times a day and barely notice that it is there.
If the border becomes noticeable again, with some roads closed off and other closely monitored, then that will be enough to change attitudes.
Some people would say "why should we accept a divided Ireland when even a workable solution was sabotaged for a cause that we never voted for."
That is the problem.

Great post

27 minutes ago, Detournement said:

One of the threats against having another referendum on the Brexit fuckfest is that the deluded 30% who still want it will get a bit rowdy. You have 30 thousand Irishmen and women commuting over the border every day, it's reasonable to suppose they'd get a bit rowdy too if they're held up for ID checks twice a day.

In other Brexit incompetence news:

• The government publish plans to turn 13 miles of the M20 (the main route from London to Dover) into  a temporary, giant lorry park as part of Operation Brock;
  • The government claim that this is nothing to do with Brexit;
  • Kent County Council point out that 'Brock' stands for 'Brexit Operations across Kent';
  • Kent County Council also point out that this 'temporary' solution would have to be in place until 2023 at the earliest.
  • Dover Council question whether it is "fully understood" by central government that the Port Health Authority will not have powers "to physically stop vehicles"; that officials "in the large are blind as to what is entering the port"; the layout of the port means there is "nothing to stop vehicles leaving" Dover; there are "inadequate facilities to inspect and store food" and "no facilities to park vehicles waiting for examination".  These seem like significant issues as the Council will be responsible for carrying out food and animal safety checks post-Brexit.

https://news.sky.com/story/13-mile-lorry-park-may-last-many-years-after-brexit-impact-reports-reveal-11454991

Edited by Carl Cort's Hamstring

24 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

That is the problem.

I would say the civil rights improvements are the biggest factor in the current peace. The fact that there is a guaranteed political process that can unite Ireland is also vital.

I don't think there will be passport checks but even if there are it won't lead to violence. The general population won't accept it and the security services are too strong for any groups to properly organise.

6 minutes ago, Detournement said:

I would say the civil rights improvements are the biggest factor in the current peace. The fact that there is a guaranteed political process that can unite Ireland is also vital.

I don't think there will be passport checks but even if there are it won't lead to violence. The general population won't accept it and the security services are too strong for any groups to properly organise.

Aye it's not like they can shoot people any time they want.  The security services have it well in tow.  So naive.

16 minutes ago, Detournement said:

The Taliban seem to do ok. Anyway I'd agree that it's not likely to lead to balaclavas and bombs again, just a large number of overwhelmingly pissed off people that could get very fucking rowdy. And for what?

Edited by welshbairn

1 hour ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

In other Brexit incompetence news:

• The government publish plans to turn 13 miles of the M20 (the main route from London to Dover) into  a temporary, giant lorry park as part of Operation Brock;
  • The government claim that this is nothing to do with Brexit;
  • Kent County Council point out that 'Brock' stands for 'Brexit Operations across Kent';
  • Kent County Council also point out that this 'temporary' solution would have to be in place until 2023 at the earliest.
  • Dover Council question whether it is "fully understood" by central government that the Port Health Authority will not have powers "to physically stop vehicles"; that officials "in the large are blind as to what is entering the port"; the layout of the port means there is "nothing to stop vehicles leaving" Dover; there are "inadequate facilities to inspect and store food" and "no facilities to park vehicles waiting for examination".  These seem like significant issues as the Council will be responsible for carrying out food and animal safety checks post-Brexit.

https://news.sky.com/story/13-mile-lorry-park-may-last-many-years-after-brexit-impact-reports-reveal-11454991

Good. Dover voted out.

I hope it's the omnishambles that they deserve.

33 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The Taliban seem to do ok. Anyway I'd agree that it's not likely to lead to balaclavas and bombs again, just a large number of overwhelmingly pissed off people that could get very fucking rowdy. And for what?

Helmand Province alone is four times the size of Northern Ireland which helps the Taliban a lot. Between drones and GCHQ tricks the government can do constant surveillance on anyone they choose.

It's also worth remembering that a wee fanny from National Action just got 23 years in jail for making a drunken claim to his mates about killing his MP. It's not the same world as pre 9/11.

2 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

Good. Dover voted out.

I hope it's the omnishambles that they deserve.

Kent getting shafted is one of the few benefits of a hard Brexit.

Some of my family are from Tunbridge Wells, and I'd always considered them decent, thoughtful, intelligent people. They voted leave because of the dangers of Islamic extremism.

Since this Brexity shite isnae Scotlands fault could the Scottish Govt introduce a passport system that has them as Uk and  European citizens like the Statelet can have both Irish and UK ones? 

The Scottish Government wouldn’t be in the position to reciprocate so probably not

Unless the EU were up for seriously trolling the English for shits and giggles