Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

It has been depressing to see how Thursday's municipal elections are being spun by the media solely as a protest at the failure to deliver Brexit, and not as a a rising tide of contempt at Brexit itself and the serial incompetence and duplicity of both Labour and the Tories. Corbyn should think long and hard about agreeing ANYTHING with May as it is likely to be shredded in weeks and by that time Labour and the rest of us will be screwed. If he needs any advice then he could do worse than phone one N.Clegg.

5 hours ago, pawpar said:

You just know that the most useless leader of a political party ever (i.e the mumbleclown) is going to accept the offer with Theresa May. He really is that fucking stupid.

As a Labour member, I’ll be majorly unhappy if Labour helps the Tories get over the line with a Brexit deal.

Edited by zidane's child

6 minutes ago, zidane's child said:

As a Labour member, I’ll be majorly unhappy if this Labour government helps the Tories get over the line with a Brexit deal.

I must have missed the General Election...

7 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I must have missed the General Election...

I think most of those elected have forgotten why they were elected.

1 hour ago, zidane's child said:

As a Labour member, I’ll be majorly unhappy if Labour helps the Tories get over the line with a Brexit deal.

The overwhelming number of Labour MPs, Labour Party members and Labour Party voters don’t want Brexit.

The great democrat, Jeremy Corbyn, is choosing to ignore this reality.

At the risk of doing an H_B does anyone genuinely think that Labour are going to do a deal with the Tories? All the messaging has been "the government have no intention of compromising and a deal can't just be a bail out of the government's mess."

2 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

It has been depressing to see how Thursday's municipal elections are being spun by the media solely as a protest at the failure to deliver Brexit, and not as a a rising tide of contempt at Brexit itself and the serial incompetence and duplicity of both Labour and the Tories. Corbyn should think long and hard about agreeing ANYTHING with May as it is likely to be shredded in weeks and by that time Labour and the rest of us will be screwed. If he needs any advice then he could do worse than phone one N.Clegg.

If the Brexit Party crush the EU elections does this mean the public just want to get on with it again?

At the risk of doing an H_B does anyone genuinely think that Labour are going to do a deal with the Tories? All the messaging has been "the government have no intention of compromising and a deal can't just be a bail out of the government's mess."

If the Brexit Party crush the EU elections does this mean the public just want to get on with it again?
It depends on what you mean by 'crush' ; the reality will be that The Brexit Party will receive, say, 31% of a 24% turnout which will equate to a crushing minority of the UK electorate. Not their fault of course, but folk like you are obviously being seduced by the headlines instead of pausing to consider that for months now the country's direction of travel has been towards Remain. May is try to cut and run to save the Tories' hide - everyone else should politely ignore her.

9 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
54 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

It depends on what you mean by 'crush' ; the reality will be that The Brexit Party will receive, say, 31% of a 24% turnout which will equate to a crushing minority of the UK electorate. Not their fault of course, but folk like you are obviously being seduced by the headlines instead of pausing to consider that for months now the country's direction of travel has been towards Remain. May is try to cut and run to save the Tories' hide - everyone else should politely ignore her.

I don't think I was denying that whatsoever. I'm just pointing out the problem with using (partial) council elections on an abysmal turnout as a bellwether for Brexit when there's elections in a few weeks that may well throw the opposite result out.

The fuss in Labour about May not agreeing to a permanent customs union is a bit silly, she hasn't the power to bind future governments. Here's what she wrote in the Mail.

D5zGVKQX4AAnM5-.jpg

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The fuss in Labour about May not agreeing to a permanent customs union is a bit silly, she hasn't the power to bind future governments. Here's what she wrote in the Mail.

D5zGVKQX4AAnM5-.jpg

Do you really think trade agreements are renegotiated every time we elect a new Parliament?

9 minutes ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

Do you really think trade agreements are renegotiated every time we elect a new Parliament?

No, but if they want to pull out of one or try to renegotiate it, there's nothing stopping them. If the withdrawal deal is passed, everything else is up for grabs, the final agreement will take years to negotiate and any reference to a customs union would go in the Political Declaration which is non binding, whether you call it temporary or permanent.

Edited by welshbairn

2 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Didn't May do her best to ensure parliament could have no meaningful say on Brexit?

Sure did, probably anticipating her present little difficulties. I'm not trying to defend her, just pointing out that what she said today is factual.

15 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

No, but if they want to pull out of one or try to renegotiate it, there's nothing stopping them. If the withdrawal deal is passed, everything else is up for grabs, the final agreement will take years to negotiate and any reference to a customs union would go in the Political Declaration which is non binding, whether you call it temporary or permanent.

10 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Under normal circumstances no.

So we're agreed that May's bollocks about Parliament not being to bind its successors is bollocks. Good. 

I'm fairly sure the EU would be more than happy to renegotiate with the UK every 5 or so years. Especially after the success of the Brexit negotiations [emoji57]

I'll go for a Wednesday Westminster Meltdown as Corby and May put together a Brexit "plan". This to be followed by both parties having all out internal fighting and splits. Neither leader wants European elections after the local elections results.

29 minutes ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

I'll go for a Wednesday Westminster Meltdown as Corby and May put together a Brexit "plan". This to be followed by both parties having all out internal fighting and splits. Neither leader wants European elections after the local elections results.

Corbyn has an easier path than May but won’t take it.  Only a small number of his MPs want a deal.  He would get overwhelming support inside and outside Westminster if he told May to f**k off.

Whereas most of May’s MPs are at loggerheads with their own members and voters on the issue of a Hard Brexit.