Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

Just now, Colkitto said:

I really don't see the DUP agreeing to May's deal. They are first and foremost lunatics and no amount of money will change that.

Think it was getting close but Bercow has probably killed the magic. The ERG think they're in a better position for a No Deal now and the DUP didn't want to jump for May unless it was a done deal and they looked like the bosses.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Think it was getting close but Bercow has probably killed the magic. The ERG think they're in a better position for a No Deal now and the DUP didn't want to jump for May unless it was a done deal and they looked like the bosses.

There was talk of the DUP getting a seat on the negotiating table to get them onboard. It some ways I would like to have seen that as the Tory Gov would have looked quite sane to the EU compared to their dealings with the DUP. 

Mays whole strategy was to blackmail the Commons into voting for her deal or no deal. I've no idea where this goes now. 

Meaningful 3rd vote not guaranteed to either take place or to be winnable

Article 50 extension not guaranteed and a possibility of an EU veto by at least one country.

GE but what would realistically change?

May resigns but even worse could take over.

Peoples vote but what would be on the ballot paper? What if Leave won again? 

What a mess....

Edited by Colkitto

1 minute ago, LongTimeLurker said:

If Labour weren't led by an 80s hard left throwback who cosied up to the Provos during the Troubles, the DUP would have had more room to manouevre. It was a perfect storm of circumstances that has brought us scarily close to the No Deal cliff edge.

I agree.

So close to the No Deal cliff edge, that might just see Article 50 revoked.

That would surely be preferable?

A better deal for whom? The EU27 have already agreed the deal that suits them. Why would they want to give the UK a better deal?

Because it’s mutually beneficial? The current deal is what the EU agreed to subject to May’s constraints, including no free movement. Corbyn would prefer a softer Brexit which would suit the EU. They don’t want us to leave at all, so a soft Brexit to them is a better alternative to the May deal (which in turn, is a better alternative to them than a no deal)

A no deal is the EU’s disaster scenario, especially for Ireland. That’s why I fully expect an extension to be granted to avoid a no deal, albeit the EU negotiators will leverage their power over Theresa May to try and get a concession of a longer extension and probably a referendum.